Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099387 times)

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4455 on: July 25, 2010, 03:34:20 pm »

I set up a little toy for myself. All migrants have to spend a year in the waiting fortress before entering the actual fortress. Kind of like my RL hospital  ::)

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4456 on: July 25, 2010, 03:41:34 pm »

The colony elected my legendary mason to the office of Mayor. Losing him to an Unfortunate Accident (tm) would be highly unfortunate indeed. Thankfully his mandates have been somewhat constructive: native gold items (he now has a gold chest in his bedroom); green glass items; battle axes and an export ban on green glass. Since my economy revolves around selling masterwork microcline trumpets to the elves, that last mandate is mostly meaningless.

Long live the Mayor!
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Ockad

• Bay Watcher
  • Take a look at my fine wares!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4457 on: July 25, 2010, 03:56:02 pm »

The dwarves of Quakesieged have new hope again; A fully trapped entrance, and our newest addition, namely a chained Leopard near the traps.

This makes the dwarves happy. But barely 2 years have passed, and no hostility in the area at all.
This silence is getting on their nerves.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4458 on: July 25, 2010, 05:26:27 pm »

I was having the random military training crash, but 31.12 fixed it, which is good, because I'm liking this fort.

I had two forgotten beasts randomly moving in and out of the first cavern layer, so I decided to try and kill one of them.  While my military was fighting Ino, the flying quadruped made of filth, the other beast, a 3-eyed pterosaur with firebreath, decided to come back.  Astonishingly, my military managed to kill them both with only two fatalities.  A third fatality happened when a giant cave spider crawled up while everyone in the fort was down in the cave, looting the bodies and dragging the beasts up to the refuse pile.  Now I've got a badass Elite Wrestler with one hand.

Bosra, the 3-eyed pterosaur, gave out over 120 bones when butchered and somewhere around 400 meat when you include the prepared organs, and the fort was already drowning in food.

The elves who trade with me have brought me a Giant Leopard, a Giant Lion, and a Giant Tiger.  I just hope I can complete a breeding pair.

EDIT: Goblins killed my lion and my leopard.  Dang.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 05:35:02 pm by JoRo »
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Zaibusa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4459 on: July 25, 2010, 05:32:56 pm »

I just wanted to create a thread like "Why the fuck am I at peace with the gobos and how can I change that?"
Because I was in spring 1054 and never had contact with the goblins. No ambush, snatcher, huge invasion or whatsoever!

Anyways, just as I was looking for the New Topic button the message appeared "An Ambush! Curse them!" Never before in my life was i so happy about an ambush. But this quickly changed as i saw that half my fort was outside, gathering wood  :-\
I don't have any military, so they were easy prey. Still, only 5 of them were killed by the 2 Goblin troops. 5 walked into my traps and one hunted my woodburner. Big mistake  ;D

The Hammergoblin hunted him for a week, continuously catching him, smaching his skull, both his arms, tearing his legs open, bruising his fat and guts. . . Well, my woodburner was in pretty bad shape. But he just didn't want to get into the save fortress! 3 times he ran to the gate, but didn't want to enter safety.
Slowly i realized that this fellow dwarf wanted to die. But he didn't let go easily. Every time he got caught, he stood up and managed to make distance between him and the goblin. But of course this couldn't last forever. He got pale, nauseous, and overall bloody of course. So he jumped into a pond and took the goblin with him!
There they both drowned in his blood  8)

I'm proud of my dwarfs!

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4460 on: July 25, 2010, 05:42:30 pm »

A dwarf went insane.  After strangling a puppy:
- He punched a dwarven baby in the upper body, bruising the muscle
- He strangled the dwarven baby.  A LOT.
- He gouged out both of the baby's eyes and it bled to death.

I couldn't stop laughing for minutes.  I'm going to hell :3
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4461 on: July 25, 2010, 05:44:07 pm »

Earpainted is over.  After a migration wave enabled me to slowly begin rebuilding the military (up to half its pre-siege strength, but this time fully equipped), the humans I had pissed off by killing their periwinkle demon diplomat sent a second siege consisting of around 40 humans all mounted on war grizzly bears.  From there, it was over.

Moved on to a new volcano fort...got lucky with this one because the volcano stops fairly early (low elevation for it, akin to a 40d magma pipe almost and it's easy to build above and around it.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Zaibusa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4462 on: July 25, 2010, 06:37:35 pm »

I was just visited by a forgotten beast.
A Blob, composed of snow and it had wings! My fortress isn't designed to hold of flying beasts, as there are tiny holes here and there.

But the Blob takes the main entrance, no mason manages to wall off the way before it does. It kills a few elfen merchants, then walks up into the central area of the fortress. Dwarfs run away in terror, screaming for help, as one brave miner, recruited as a last, desperate defence, steps forward and strikes it. First strike cuts of the right wing, second the left wing, and third the body.

What the fuck were those elfes doing? A mindless dabbling wrestler could have taken that beast out!
I just don't get how it managed to obtain a 3 word name before it even killed the elves. . .

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4463 on: July 25, 2010, 07:06:20 pm »

My soldiers are useless. I have two squads who's been trying to kill a yeti who's been in a coma for months. I've now set up a schedule that has the two squads rotating on beating the poor thing and resting. At least they won't die of dehydration.
"[...] begin to seek immortality, the secrets of which they can receive directly from any available death god [...]" -Toady

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4464 on: July 25, 2010, 07:33:52 pm »

My soldiers are useless. I have two squads who's been trying to kill a yeti who's been in a coma for months. I've now set up a schedule that has the two squads rotating on beating the poor thing and resting. At least they won't die of dehydration.
atleast they are gonna get a ton of exp :D
Nom nom nom

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4465 on: July 25, 2010, 07:35:44 pm »

atleast they are gonna get a ton of exp :D
They did, until a single bolt from a human marksman finished him off xD
"[...] begin to seek immortality, the secrets of which they can receive directly from any available death god [...]" -Toady

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4466 on: July 25, 2010, 09:11:20 pm »

A dwarf went insane.  After strangling a puppy:
- He punched a dwarven baby in the upper body, bruising the muscle
- He strangled the dwarven baby.  A LOT.
- He gouged out both of the baby's eyes and it bled to death.

I couldn't stop laughing for minutes.  I'm going to hell :3

I couldn't stop laughing either.  Make room.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4467 on: July 25, 2010, 11:13:03 pm »

Well, I genned a new world in which the only dwarf civ died. Because I'm dumb, or maybe it was for science and i have a bad memory, I made my mushroom-man mod's entity civs civ_controllable and also made them live underground. Since there were no dwarves or other civ_controllable civs with names, it made me choose the nameless mushroom man civ. Upon embarking, I realized the civ had no weapons, stones, and many, many other things. I took 30 male and 50 female gremlins ([ANY_PET_RACE] tag, used on elves.) and 1 male and 5 female giant bats, some meat, and ~130 wood, along with the bags, cloth, and thread it let me keep from my embark profile. I figured it wouldn't be too hard with so much wood and so many butcherable animals to stay alive until a human caravan arrived (which was stupid because I could see on the neighbors screen that we were at war with EVERYONE), so I named it Ruinedsnarls the Great Castle of Warriors and set off.

EVERYTHING went horribly wrong. My shroomdudes' labors screens were innaccessible, THEY were being treated as pets. Their 'z' menu didn't provide any of the normal, useful information either, just their species-wide description and their individual description; "his exterior is amber.", nothing more. So I butchered someone, one of the miners that's never going to see work since there would never be any picks. Even thoguh their flesh is supposed to be edible, his flesh chops were sent to the refuse stockpile, not the food stockpile. Right, no cannibalism for these guys. The gramlins, on the other hand, not only appeared at the top of the units list but all their z-menu info showed like it does for dwarves, and I could access their labors screens. Unfortunately, They can only fish. Not prepare fish, not hunter despite being hunters and bringing quivers, just fish, nothing else. So I eventually built a cage and a walled in area for when we start getting besieged by elves this next spring, put all but a dozen gremlins in the cage to die and will get everyone inside the walled-in area or let them die horribly or something. I can't even make any tools because they apparently just don't have any knowledge of what a tool is (wonder how they got that fungiwood...)

also, I made a song;

Build us a wall!
Build us a wall!
A wall to keep the regulars out!
A wall to make us short and stout!
Build us a wall!
Wherever we go we shall have no fear
For'ever we go there shall be beer
For we have a wall!

Needs extended and refurbished, but I am musically impaired.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4468 on: July 26, 2010, 01:41:33 am »

Lion wrestler.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4469 on: July 26, 2010, 02:40:02 am »

A new fort with both obsidian and flux along with some useful layer stones, esp. granite.  Also, we're completely isolated on this island, which apparently was home to the elves before something wiped them out.  Time to tame this long (couple-thousand years) deserted island and turn it in to the safe, prosperous center of dwarven civilization.

Then, naturally and eventually dig up too much adamantine and send us all to ampersand-land in a handbasket.  Much more dignified than simple abandonment, although I think I'll see just how long I can keep it going...I want dwarves dying of old age for once.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 3842