Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099403 times)

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4440 on: July 25, 2010, 02:02:23 am »

Three sieges, a Forgotten Beast, rogue draltha, a giant cave spider, and a wicked kobold. 

Population, 1 Granite 122: 92
Population, 28 Obsidian 122: 54
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

The Yellow Peril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4441 on: July 25, 2010, 04:38:14 am »

I actually pierced and cleared out the fun a while back (couple years fort-wise, perhaps a week ago real time), but for lulz:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Brute: It does the body good. Lightly spiced with syrup.

What's humorous is this clown type had dangerous blood which causes blistering of the bone. So yeah... Clearing out that fun stuff gave me enough meat for this fort to last decades. Maybe clowns should not result in edible products (but still allow butchering for bone and other parts).

As an aside, some of my clowns are formed of gem types, whose severed body parts which leave "[clown] red diamond". I assume those can't be used as actual gems in any way?

On an unrelated note, my dwarves are either completely apathetic of the fort's history, or wholly in love with the history of the region. Despite a functioning cloth economy which involves making some cloth/leather crafts and then decorating them with sewn images, very few seem to actually involve my own fort, and none at all related to the piercing of the fun stuff (and the subsequent slaughter of clowns).

How did you manage to clear out hell? Was it with a military? I've been trying to avoid that method if only because the military is so bugged right now.

Reni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4442 on: July 25, 2010, 06:38:18 am »

Yeah, i just managed for the first time to flood my castle. I am so incredibly proud.
"Be polite; write diplomatically; even in a declaration of war one observes the rules of politeness."
Otto von Bismarck

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4443 on: July 25, 2010, 06:40:04 am »

Yeah, i just managed for the first time to flood my castle. I am so incredibly proud.

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. You haven't experienced the true nature of the game if you haven't flooded at least one of your fortresses.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4444 on: July 25, 2010, 06:46:05 am »

You havn't played DF until you get up to get some coke-a-cola with a bustling fort of 80 dwarves and come back to find a bustling fort of 80 goblins.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4445 on: July 25, 2010, 06:46:38 am »

You havn't played DF until you get up to get some coke-a-cola with a bustling fort of 80 dwarves and come back to find a bustling fort of 80 goblins.

That too.

Killabyte

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4446 on: July 25, 2010, 06:47:10 am »

Tried building a moat and some waterfalls in a throne room.

Cue flood.

A-chana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4447 on: July 25, 2010, 07:13:01 am »

I'm planning on starting a blog or something in diary-style for a fort I'm playing. I just got through the first year. Spring and summer went by well, went up to nineteen dwarves even though I couldn't actually feed them all, but I figured out how to get muddy soil and a well, so I figured it was all good...

And then one of those Giant Olm arses suddenly appeared and started terrorizing everyone by breaking their legs. The military was last minute, too slow to catch up to it, and no one could land any lasting hits even when the Olm's lungs and heart were impaired for some time (the only lasting thing was a mangled nose, and I'm sure even that probably healed).

By the time it was finally chased out (and not dead, mind you, although it left the map), all I had left was:

-A founding miner dwarf who lost a hand and kept on fighting anyway, until her body got ripped open and she had to lie down due to infection.
-Three guy dwarves with mangled legs, one of them being a founder and one of the few fighters with a weapon, another having an infection.
-A female dwarf who, while only injured on her arm, was throwing tantrums because her husband was killed and she had lost her pregnancy.
-Two doctor dwarves, one being a founder, who were never recruited into the makeshift military because they were too busy trying to save lives.

And even then, one of the male dorfs snapped, attacked the widow while she was tantruming, and got his skull smashed in for the trouble. This woke her up enough to get her to do some work, except she still threw fits, eventually accidentally killing the founder doctor (whom she had been trying to have a meeting with mid-tantrum). Thankfully, the two infected dwarves survived with little-to-no cleaning, and no soap. One of them's pretty much fully healed at this point.

Now it's just the three lady dwarves (migrant doctor, one-hand miner, widowed glassmaker) cleaning up and feeding the guys until their legs heal (they're still moderately wounded, but not mangled). By the time winter was over, the fort was down to five dwarves, all thanks to some giant amphibian thing.

On the bright side, now there's plenty of food for everyone.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4448 on: July 25, 2010, 10:58:12 am »

How did you manage to clear out hell? Was it with a military? I've been trying to avoid that method if only because the military is so bugged right now.

A long line of upright weapons. Very cheap, but efficient. Like, 2x40 tiles of 10 masterful steel spike traps each. It's hooked to a lever in my dining hall which I set to repeat if I need to clear something out. My cavern entrance was the prototype, trapped similarly to deal with forgotten beasts. (The entrance to the caverns is a forbidden door so dwarves don't accidentally wander into the caverns, but FBs will destroy the door and wander into the fort when they eventually find it in their meandering.)

Note that hell isn't technically completely clear. The initial FPS-killing invasion is cleared, but some demons still come and go from hell's border tiles, just as you see migrating animals in the caverns or on the surface. I am in the process of walling all solid surfaces but that is on hold for now, because I am redesigning my "loft" in hell to deal with a particularly deadly forgotten beast that migrated into it. (Moving my spike traps into the "loft" and using raising bridges to direct undesirables into the trap hall while, when the bridges are lowered, keeping the entrance open wide when I send civilians down there for masonry jobs).

It is slow going but keeps me playing this fort. Would've stopped a while back because of the aforementioned deadly demon blood causing blisters until I got dfhack to clean the map.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 12:33:08 pm by Niveras »

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4449 on: July 25, 2010, 11:24:37 am »

We have run out of food, having eaten most of it and mandrills made off with the rest. The farms are producing a small amount but enough to produce enough food and drink. We are reduced to drinking water and eating the puppies that one of our guard dogs recently crapped out. Horror of horrors. Our dwarves are nowhere near skilled enough to take down the local wildlife - elephants and unicorns. And besides, all we have is bone bolts anyway. Mid-fall and the caravan has yet to arrive. We can only continue digging down in hope of finding magma to be able to forge metal crossbows and bolts, and send dwarves to fish in the swamps.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

ChrisTheTsunami

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4450 on: July 25, 2010, 12:02:18 pm »

Had water freeze over for the first time after four years at the fort. I'm not sure if it's from the new version and/or switching over just after winter started, but I'll wait next year to see if it happens again. Was a bit annoying from my injured dwarves getting thirsty, my Fortress Guard Captain being there again because he keeps on having wolves hop on his head and bite at it while he's test fighting them.
The ice and snow melted, filling up the lakes completely, just before it started raining; letting me put a lot of work to filling my moat up, but might need one more rain storm to will stay filled.
Did enough exploration digging to find a cavern, and then killed the Batmen there after digging a tunnel behind the nitch they were set up in, though before I could put anything to block the entrance to the cavern a troglodyte snuck up and choked out a dwarven child before I could send my military to kill it.
A ambush came just before the year ended and it put the dummy entrance I made so far to use; killing one of the goblins outright and bruising/cutting the rest. Made things a bit easier, but from how my military was handling itself with the other two squads, it wasn't too vital (though still cool to see)
"They say that adding soy sauce to pudding gives the taste of sea urchin, but really, adding soy sauce to pudding only gives the taste of soy sauce and pudding"

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4451 on: July 25, 2010, 01:14:19 pm »

Correction: The fort has crumbled to its end. Troglodytes came up from the cave we breached and foolishly left open, and while our two woodcutters took them down, they received wounds which kept them bedridden (and the CMD did not diagnose them, or do jack shit else to help).

This meant by the time the blind cave ogres climbed from the cave into our cellars, our only defense was a bunch of unskilled dwarves with at best, copper picks to aid them.

Before long all dwarves but one were maimed and laying around bleeding, or perhaps they'd crawled to bed. The remaining dwarf, waking from a nap, grabbed his pick and took care of the already-wounded ogres, then set off into the caves to wreak havoc on a colony of olmfolk. They fell like sandy loam walls to his pick, but the same was not true of the troll which beat the living Christ out of him, then gored his head, bursting the brain.

The last days of the settlement consisted of the wounded dwarves starving to death, or going insane and wandering around in a daze until they starved to death. Junglecastles is no more.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4452 on: July 25, 2010, 01:17:13 pm »

That's an incredibly awesome story. It also captures a bit of DF's spirit perfectly.

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4453 on: July 25, 2010, 01:23:23 pm »

Got nearly three waves of immigrants in a row, all varied skills.  Nearly flooded the lower level of my fort setting up a farm by the brook.  several dwarves have had fey moods, giving my fortress a perfect turquoise, an andesite millstone, and a hematite toy ax.  Currently there is a dwarf with a secretive mood in the craftsdwarf shop, and I'm scrambling to get all the stuff he wants.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4454 on: July 25, 2010, 03:19:54 pm »

Four dwarves have had Fun to date: One due to a failed shell mood, one due to a cave in while making a cliffside terrace farm and two killed by a runaway deer that escaped during cage transfer. The deer also broke the rib of a third dwarf before my military could dispatch it. The injured dwarf necessitated the construction of my first hospital, where he was operated on to fix his punctured lung, had the rib set, was bandaged up and sent on his way. Aside from a little bugginess with the transfer from bed to operating table, the hospital worked quite well.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 3842