Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100267 times)

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4305 on: July 19, 2010, 08:40:08 pm »

power grid is nearly finished, then just need to finish hooking up the hatches to the control room to begin my waterfall surrounded dining room.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4306 on: July 19, 2010, 09:26:49 pm »

Think I've figured out how to protect my poor saplings from the ravages of Children Hordes. designating each sapling in a 1x1 Restricted traffic zone.  :D

*Mayor facepalms*

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4307 on: July 19, 2010, 11:04:27 pm »

Just pierced my first aquifer successfully! I even managed to set up the machinery in a compact, stylistic design that will make an impressive entrance chamber for my fort. I don't really need any traps* but I'm turning it into a floodable entrance anyway. Now I'm working on upgrading the retaining wall from green to clear glass, the pump parts from wood to silver, and replacing the exploratory shaft with a grand staircase made of gold. Speaking of exploratory shafts...

You have struck magnetite! bauxite! ruby! star ruby!

Are there any regular stones in this place?

*I don't think we have goblins on this continent, but there are precious few dwarves either. Legends Mode heavily implies this is due to the outrageous number of giant lions, leopards, and cheetahs that live in the desert I embarked on. Personal experience suggests it's the scorpions.
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4308 on: July 20, 2010, 12:54:58 am »

population continuing it's slow, ponderous climb.

More positively we now have a fully functional waterfall system covering the entirety of the dining room! well, it works for the waterfall part, not so much the drainage right now. I've not managed to hook up all the drains in the primary and secondary cisterns, so the flow is asymmetric, which leads to flooding. once it's done it'll be awesome. I had to turn off cave ins to get it done though, as I built my drain right above my magma vent and couldn't find the way to stop it from pausing and centering.

*Mayor facepalms*

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4309 on: July 20, 2010, 01:27:59 am »

You have struck magnetite! bauxite! ruby! star ruby!

Star ruby is exquisite. I had a bauxite cluster chock full of little ruby patches, and there were three star rubies in it alone. Use them for something glorious.

Magick

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATES_LEARN] [MAGICAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4310 on: July 20, 2010, 02:06:15 am »

I guess I'll keep playing 40d until I lose my fort.
 :P

After that I'll switch.

I'll probably need some time to get used to using the escape key to back out instead of space.  :-\

And silly soliders, stop making each other bleed to death.
Death count of dwarves so far: 5

You can rebind the key to space in the options fyi :P

Takes only a few seconds and voila space works again.

But then it mucks up some of the menus, like the squad control menu.
"Alright, I'll trade you these mugs, and you'll give me those -Oh. Here. Just take this. WAIT. I DID NOT MEAN TO GIVE YOU THOSE."
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/9079/1278257725299.jpg

Fistbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4311 on: July 20, 2010, 06:16:52 am »

So, my baron-turned-count was pretty whiny too. Threw a few tantrums, but he wasn't nearly as strong as the late king. Worst he did was deconstruct a tanner's workshop.
I've got 15 champions now, and steel production is going as quickly as dwarvenly possible.
And my armorer continues to bring manly tears to my eyes.
If you remember my last post (you shouldn't), she dragged herself across the fortress on a left hand and a left upper leg (40d) in pursuit of making an artifact. Against all odds, she succeeded, and was returned to bed shortly after creating an adamantine shoe.
I checked on her recently. The wounds are yellow.
My best armorer, who I had given up hope of recovery, is healing.
Goblin ambush party cancels Hunt: Interrupted by 'Pyonta' Godenakum Ngalknazom.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4312 on: July 20, 2010, 06:24:49 am »

I'm building a gigantic dam on 40 z-level cliffs. 40d is still good for megaprojects, at least until Obsidian is done. This is the partial scaffolding for one half of the dam.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That height is close to that of the lowest mountain, so I'm thinking of just cutting it off at the current 16 z-levels.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4313 on: July 20, 2010, 07:12:48 am »

Lost two strange moods that were demanding shells. Peculiarly enough, map has plenty of fish of all sorts, but no turtles.... modified the save raws to make something like hooves a shell equivalent and forced a DF shutdown.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

ikacer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4314 on: July 20, 2010, 07:52:58 am »

Just had an amazing fort!

Contains spoilers.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4315 on: July 20, 2010, 08:08:01 am »

Just had an amazing fort!

Contains spoilers.
-snip-

I imagine this baron scribbling his last notes under that bed, from teh very beginning of demons' siege, to notes about she-demon diplomat, and then about the cries and screams. Also, a farewell note and indicator of were the famous NameName the Name of Name Adamantine Battle Axe has been buried. But the note is encrypted, so one brave and wise must find both time and wits to decipher it... who it might be...

*cough*

Yeah, you had a lot of Fun! :D
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4316 on: July 20, 2010, 10:34:05 am »

Oiledkindled is now 10 years old, and huge disaster was just narrowly avoided.
After a goblin seige, the usually work of rebuilding doors the trolls kicked in and reseting the traps was going on, as was sectioning off an underground area in a cave for tree collection purposes. Another forgotten beast showed up... this time the infamous snow blob! It started out in the water, only a few dozen tiles from my work on the underground area, which I was also planning to use for a water source. Within a minute, the blob had climbed up through my water hole left in the wall and proceeded to slowly kill dwarves. I was playing 31.08, and so there was no way for me to effectively kill it. Both tails were quickly removed, and the body mangled to the point where there was nothing left. I had only one solution: wall off the underground area and keep it out of the main fort. In the proccess, about 10 to 15 dwarves were sacrificed as walls were built. Unfortunately, it was not fast enough to keep it off the main stairs, but I was able to turn a layer of up/down stairs into up stairs, preventing it from reaching the main fort. However, it then went down the main stairs destroying every pump in my pump stack along the way. That is now the second time forgotten beasts have done that to my fort.  >:(

Meanwhile, on the surface two goblin ambushes were taking place; I was to preoccupied with the blob to focus on them much, but my traps managed to take out enough to make them flee with minimal, if any casualties.

So now I have a blob in my pump stack area and need to kill it off somehow... Unfortunately, that was my magma pump stack, and so I can't really melt it that way; and the mining of the area is too well done for cave ins to work well.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4317 on: July 20, 2010, 11:08:32 am »

My fort fell a victim for this bug

http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=2627

and now I can't play it because my soldier is a permanent invalid as he can't get a cast on his leg. I'll continue the fort once it's fixed.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4318 on: July 20, 2010, 12:36:27 pm »

My baroness threw a tantrum and killed a dog. Now it's time to kill her.  :)

And to make it dwarfy, I'm planning to use magma.  :D

EDIT: I don't know if this will work, but I'm planning on a putting a booze barrel in my baroness's 'bedroom' which is right next to a magma pool. (40d) I'll put a floodgate to lock them in part of the pipe that doesn't have magma in it yet. I'll then channel part of it above to let the magma flow into that part. I know just magma would be enough, but if I'm lucky the booze barrel will explode in their face as well.

EDIT2: Well, the barrels didn't explode, but the baroness did. She died next to some strwaberry wine(her fav.) and a cow in a cage(her fav.)

8)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 02:13:24 pm by eclipsetail »

bluefox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4319 on: July 20, 2010, 02:54:19 pm »

Well, I got marksdwarves to work.

The success was more Pyhrric than anything else, though. I could get them to train intermittently, and slowly. Never all at once, no matter how I played with the military settings. But they would train against the archery targets, firing a bolt every few minutes or so.

There were two unfortunate problems, however.

Part the First: no iron on the map. A lot of gold, silver, nickel, and copper, but precious little tin. So most of my bolts are silver and wood.

Part the Second: Goblins came by to visit in force in the spring of the second year. About fifteen of them.

Precious little defenses on the front lines - just wardogs, really, unless you count the paltry stonefall and cage traps, three of each. No fortifications yet, either. Don't know what I was thinking.

But, hell, everyone head on upstairs and shoot at 'em anyway! And shoot they did - silver bolts flew down the entrance corridor. Fortunately(?) it was a target-rich environment, so even most misses were hits.

But all too soon, they ran out of bolts. So they charged, almost completely untrained in hammering, and completely unarmored.

Oh, the carnage.

Two dwarves died outright. Three more were impaled, but the remainder managed to kill off all but one of the goblin ambush. In the battle of nine dwarves vs fifteen goblins, the score was three to fourteen in favor of the dwarves.

Sure, we won, but we were woefully unprepared. And we paid the price.

A report from the miners, though: exploratory shafts have uncovered a vein of tin. Rather large, from the looks of it. Bronze production will begin soon, and migrants will swell the ranks. We will not be caught off-guard again.
....I think Dwarf Fortress may be putting us all into the mindset of being a Greek God.
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 3842