Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100827 times)

Snukkems

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4155 on: July 07, 2010, 05:53:48 am »

Legendary Artifact:  Ordir Odkish "The Inceneration of ferns" a dog leather loincloth.

This is a dog leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.  This object menaces with spikes of dog leather.

I cannot wait for this fortress to succumb to Fun, so I can get an adventurer to claim that wondrous prize.

Lordgenome

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4156 on: July 07, 2010, 05:56:13 am »

Well, my only fort I've been playing at the moment, is a fort where I struck adamantine and into the glowing pit, I sealed it just in time, a dwarf caught inside, a red demon came out and killed him, I was kinda annoyed but I knew that was the price to pay for adamantine, but just then,to Spirits of Fire appeared inside the pit area, and they set everything ablaze and killed all the people that were in the pit when I struck it, and it even killed the demon that just moments ago killed my dwarf, so I felt satisfied but then, the waiting began, I used the adamantine around the glowing pit to make weapons, armor, and stuff because I planned on killing the demons inside, and seeing if there was anything worth while, which there wasn't, but it made a neat room for my dungeon master.

But regardless, eventually I had some recruits and an axe dwarf with adamantine armor and weapons, ready to fight demons, honestly, I didn't think there was anymore than two of them, and I heard they were pretty badass but I figured if I used adamantine armor and weapons it would kinda even it out, also, the axedwarf was a woman with a child, I know I'm a total dick because there's no way he will survive, well, I recorded the entire thing, I could put it up here if anyone cares, but pretty much, all three of them get screwed and killed, the baby too, because not only was there 2 Fire Spirits, there were like 8 more Fire Spirits appearing after I unblocked the hole in the pit, so I'm like "WELL, TIME TO SUICIDE" and I just like, put all these peasants in one big group and activate them, sending them in the Fire Spirits' direction, and I had also put my two legendary miners into recruit mode, cause in the past I found that they work super awesomely, and now that I think about it, I should have sent them in instead of the other dudes, regardless, somehow they all died, I couldn't really make out how, and I lost like 20 or so dwarves, but that was only the beginning, guys went outta control, killing each other, killing pets, breaking stuff, it was chaos, I did what anyone would have done. I made coffins, as many as possible, while the fortress was going insane, I ordered the dwarves that would work to make coffins.

To dig out the one level of the pit I struck into, and replace it with a more squarish area around the engravings, the engravings were creepy, stuff like "The elves are withering away" or "The human is being tortured" or some kinda funny one like "The dwarves are on the ground in fetal position." and I turned it into their burial site, I put up every coffin, now like I said, there was a waiting period, and I ended up with like over 100 dwarves at the point where I struck the pit, and I lost 20 give or take a few, now, as I was making this burial site, people were dying left or right, just ment more coffins for me, when the dwarves stopped killing each other or suiciding, there was like 6 dwarves left, 3 were injured, one of them was a gem cutter that did most of the work concerning the coffins, my fortress would have died had he not stayed alive long enough for me to get migrants, I couldn't believe it, it actually said people decided to come there even though it could be their tomb, and I got some soldiers which was nice.

I finally finished the burial site, the total body count of dwarves, children and named animals was over 150, all in the three levels of the glowing pit area. The fortress started growing again, and I turned that room into the jail/Dungeon Master's dungeon, his tomb is made of raw adamantine because I totally just like, want the fortress to die so I can go to it in Adventurer mode, maybe find my adamantine weapons and armor. Nice fortress though, it survived like, 3 goblin ambushes, I say, Cage traps are magnificent, But they do not work on them Spirits of Fire.

Edit: Mistake
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 06:00:57 am by Lordgenome »

Lokii

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack of no trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #4157 on: July 08, 2010, 04:24:13 am »

For the first time every, I'm playing with [SPEED:0] dwarves to build a megaproject.

My response when I loaded being "aldksfjds;l why have I never done this before now?"
Oh and Lokii, your job is now to seduce the human traders.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4158 on: July 08, 2010, 08:19:21 am »

For the first time every, I'm playing with [SPEED:0] dwarves to build a megaproject.

My response when I loaded being "aldksfjds;l why have I never done this before now?"

After you play with [SPEED:0] for a while, load up normal DF and see how incredibly slow your dwarves seem.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4159 on: July 08, 2010, 11:02:52 am »

Pterosaur FB is no more.  As are three dwarves, a cougar, a jaguar, a whole bunch of wolves, a handful of macaques, a dog, and several pet animals.

There have been...  difficulties accessing the rock layers.  The temporary scaffolding was compromised somehow, and I didn't realize the rock supply line was out until it was almost too late.

The moody miner wandered away from his shop and croaked.

My cats and kittens keep bleeding to death.  Most likely it's FB residue.

A possessed dwarf gave me a second artifact floodgate.

I have billon, several quite skilled metalcrafter immigrants, and wood up to my ears.  Nobody is making the billon goods my mayor's demanded.

I forsee Fun in the near future.

...ETA:  The forge was made out of imported bauxite, which I'd forbidden.  Trade Depot just destroyed with human merchants inside by a tantruming butcher/tanner.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 11:06:49 am by melomel »
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Jaxicat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4160 on: July 08, 2010, 03:52:45 pm »

Here's most of Castleroar so far. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We're in Mid-Autumn of the first year in a terrifying tropical savanna area.  Its been reclaimed once after everyone died.  Four have died to the zombie elephants and hippos this embark but we have a population of 14 now after the last migration wave.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4161 on: July 08, 2010, 06:02:29 pm »

Even though I've had a bunch of problems, I feel like this fortress will go on to be my most successful.  I have an active metal industry for the first time ever, a (hopefully) good defense plan, and almost none of my dwarfs are becoming friends.

Anyway, here's a little story.  I built a sort of safety bunker, underground and separated from the rest of the fortress by a bridge over a 7 level drop*.  After the bridge was finished and hooked up to a lever, I decided to test it.  A dwarf pulled the lever, then ran for the other side of the bridge.   ::)

*The miner who channeled this died before he could get out, so now I don't have to worry about an escape route.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4162 on: July 08, 2010, 06:04:02 pm »

I think I've just had a close call with a forgotten beast, an enormous humanoid composed of filth and grime, it has wings and a gaunt appearance. Beware its spittle!

It just sort of wandered around the second cavern level a bit (theres no connection between the first and second cavern levels on my embark, no pre-existing ones anyway) went pretty close to where the wall that keeps critters out of my forgeing area, but instead just eventually wandered into an unexplored part of the map.

I should mention that I don't even have a military started up :P This is my first fort for a while, heh.

Edit: never mind, the forgotten beast is still lurking around......
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 06:08:23 pm by smjjames »

Agamemnon

• Bay Watcher
  • Function - unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #4163 on: July 08, 2010, 06:38:42 pm »

Magma flows faster, when it is under pressure, right?

I am constructing a high pressure magma pipe across the map. Let's see how that works.
Glossary #52
Execution shaft aka. dwarven wormhole

Works as follows: Things enter one end, emerge at the other and then get eaten by worms.

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4164 on: July 08, 2010, 06:49:27 pm »

Magma flows faster, when it is under pressure, right?

I am constructing a high pressure magma pipe across the map. Let's see how that works.

Magma isn't pressurized IIRC.
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

Agamemnon

• Bay Watcher
  • Function - unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #4165 on: July 08, 2010, 06:50:21 pm »

That's why I intend to pressurize it with screw pumps.
Glossary #52
Execution shaft aka. dwarven wormhole

Works as follows: Things enter one end, emerge at the other and then get eaten by worms.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4166 on: July 08, 2010, 09:41:35 pm »

Today the Device at Cudgeldye saw its second use.  The Device is an overly complex and pointlessly large siege and forgotten beast destroying engine.  90 tiles long, made with many mechanisms, bridges, and pumps, the Device can do many things to invaders.  It can incinerate them in magma, drop them to a splattery death, drown them in water, or for those nearly impossible to kill enemies encase them in obsidian, depending on the order in which I throw the levers in the control room.  Although it is still technically under construction - the drainage, catchment, and goblinite recovery chambers are still being built, the bottom of the Device simply venting into the caverns for now.

The first time it was used, the Device ended the reign of the immortal, magma-immune, poison-spewing demon queen who used to command the local goblin civilization.  Cudgeldye saw a period of unusual peace after that, years going by without a siege while the goblins recovered, giving me a chance to repair the damage inflicted by the first use and to clear out the obsidian now clogging several levels of cavern.  When I finally had another siege arrive, it was nowhere near as strong as the ones the demoness had commanded.  I could probably have handled it with my military, but the Device was recharged and ready to use, so I decided to overkill some goblins.

Unfortunately when I was clearing out the caverns after the first use, I left one passage to a maintenance tunnel open on a cave wall.  It probably wouldn't have mattered, but the geometry of the cave floor in that area and the sheer amount of magma dropped caused a pool several Z-levels high to form, which let magma flow into the maintenance tunnel.  From there the magma found its way to a construction stair, and from there to the main ramp access to the smelters.  The water surge that followed the magma surge sealed the opening with obsidian, but the main ramp was now awash in magma.  One dwarf died, another was grievously injured, and several war dogs lost before I noticed what was happening and edited the siege emergency burrow to stop dwarves from using the ramps and stairs affected.

The fortress was now divided into several pieces, with a handful of dwarves trapped in the smelters, and a dozen or so more trapped in various mining corridors and areas around the underside of the Device, blocked off by the magma-flooded stairs and ramps.  I had to dig several emergency stairs and even had the metalcrafters in the smelter room build an escape stair from iron, as they had no picks to dig a path out otherwise.

Casualties were overall light, only one dead and one injured, with some damage and spilled magma to attend to.  Most of the siege did end up escaping while I was doing emergency rescue work.  Placing a booze stockpile in the smelters paid off.  I had originally stocked it there so that dwarves working the smelters wouldn't have to walk so far if they got thirsty, but those helped keep the trapped dwarves alive until the rescue stairs were done.  There's also several thousand tiles of obsidian, full of random pockets of water and magma, to clean up, but that's going to happen any time I use the full capabilities of the Device.

Main lesson learned:  build doors adjacent to every stairway and periodically in every major corridor.  That can keep a local magma flood local, and stop your fortress from being cut in half by a magma spill.  Building multiple redundant access stairs is a good idea too.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4167 on: July 09, 2010, 03:22:26 am »

I found out that aquifers seem to activate if you dig down how by using reveal and sticking(runesmith) a miner below and having him dig up. so far no water leak out during his dig and I had a way into the caverns.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4168 on: July 09, 2010, 07:00:38 am »

I found out that aquifers seem to activate if you dig down how by using reveal and sticking(runesmith) a miner below and having him dig up. so far no water leak out during his dig and I had a way into the caverns.

Where did you stick him? I thought if you "teleported" them into walls they just disappeared?

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4169 on: July 09, 2010, 07:04:47 am »

It seems obvious to me: he used the caverns.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 3842