Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6101381 times)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4065 on: June 30, 2010, 07:16:25 pm »

I need to edit Stonesense's default gem windows so they look a little nicer (and resemble stained glass more), but the exterior of the grand cathedral is finally complete!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

armadilloHD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4066 on: June 30, 2010, 07:44:47 pm »

I need to edit Stonesense's default gem windows so they look a little nicer (and resemble stained glass more), but the exterior of the grand cathedral is finally complete!

Holy christ is that ice?  I cried, it's so beautiful.

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4067 on: June 30, 2010, 07:50:37 pm »

I bet your philosopher is raging/crying.
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4068 on: June 30, 2010, 07:52:05 pm »

Does Stonesense work now?
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

weird beard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4069 on: June 30, 2010, 08:06:07 pm »

I just reached adamantine for the first time ever. Then breached into hell before I got a chance to mine any :\. Successfully sealed off the stupid broken unkillable demons  by sending in my warriors to deal with them whilst a floor was constructed. But then I dropped to 7 fps anyway so I let them in to have their fun. And then DF just crashed anyway. :\ Fail.

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4070 on: June 30, 2010, 08:19:23 pm »

1st year into a fort brimming with potential.  Everythings been progressing smoothly so far, and guess what? elves just showed up with 2 cages, one male elephant and one female

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee =D

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4071 on: June 30, 2010, 11:21:53 pm »

I think you mean EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE =D

I don't know why I didn't think of this before.  But the post somehow gave me a burst of inspiration.  Combating the stuff with 30 or 40 building destroyer suicide booths(pilliar holding up a tile of floor) in a long hallway.  I wonder if it would work...
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4072 on: July 01, 2010, 12:02:21 am »

Wow.  Nice!

My latest fort was doing great.  The elves brought good animals, I trapped and tamed a horde of alligators, and even the injured dwarves died ecstatic.  The artifacts were actually useful.  The food stores were ample.  The crafters, productive.

After the first few years, I realized I'd managed to generate a custom world in which both kobolds and goblins had gone extinct. =[

Starting a new fort: two aquifer layers and the 3rd biome is Terrifying.  This ought to wash the taste of empty triumph out of my mouth.  Bring on the zombie werewolves!
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Endovior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: July 01, 2010, 01:37:15 am »

I just had a possession mood produce the most valuable artifact I've had thus far...

So yeah, a ruby mug.  Made of solid ruby, and decorated by more rubies, which are themselves carved with diamonds.  It's value is 147000... since this is summer of the second year, that's like three times the value of my fortress.

I anticipate goblins shortly... guess it's time to beef up those defenses.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #4074 on: July 01, 2010, 01:16:15 pm »

I decided to try a fortress design based on someone's post about using every other layer for plumbing.  So far my implementation has not been brilliant, but I've had no floods.  My previous (and first) 0.31.08 fortress was an experiment in using burrows to define clan quarters.  My clans in that fortress were defined by religion.  In this fortress I have reverted to clans defined by productive marriages between immigrants, ie, a wedded immigrant couple is not assigned quarters until they have produced a child in the fortress (children who immigrate don't count).  So far I am up to 19 clans, which is why I was using religions last time.  I think I am getting the hang of burrows, though.  I have one bedroom assigned to the founding couple, and a dining room with four tables and four chairs which has no owner but because it is inside the burrow can only be used by clan members (which at this point are the parents and their children).  It is not as nice as one huge common dining hall decorated with engravings but they do use it and they seem happy ("dined in a great dining room lately").  When I get some more beds made, I will make build beds for the children and perhaps assign them, or perhaps not.  I am also trying out some pit trap/weapon trap/cage trap defensive ideas, which I will eventually test by turning invasions on.  I am not sure how to house the childless couples and singletons.  At the moment they have a public dormatory, but no dining room at all.  I may have to define a YDAA (Young Dwarf's Armok Association) for those Dwarves.  In this fortress there are no aboveground farms.  Not only that, but the seeds of any aboveground crops which are either harvested or bought, and then brewed or processed, are cooked and eaten (or sold, as they are not very tasty).  No aboveground farming allowed this time.  :D  I have only dug 9 levels under the ground so far, this time.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4075 on: July 01, 2010, 03:48:01 pm »

Found out that flying slug has both boiling and freezing extract. Reverting save after it exploded onto most of my military, suffocating several. Not happy since I had a secretive mood with a lot of stuff already taken, but at risk because of "stacked cloth" and I wasn't sure if it meant regular cloth or silk(I had neither at the time. I opened the underground for silk and that's how Sluggy got in).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4076 on: July 01, 2010, 04:33:15 pm »

I think some major buggage happened in my fort. I dug out a cistern for a well, and now every miner who participated is hanging around down there. Setting the traffic to restricted there didn't help. Flooding the cistern only helped partially.  :P

And my broker/miner has gone nuts. Not nuts as in berserk, melancholy or anything like that. Just... He's crazy. He's supposed to be trading with the humans, however instead he's running around "trapping small vermin". I never told anyone to catch vermin. I don't have any small cages. He doesn't have the labour (or any labour, now) activated. He's starving and dehydrated and he's not stopping.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4077 on: July 01, 2010, 04:49:00 pm »

Your dwarves are trapped and starving in your well because they can't get out. That's an easy problem to solve because they are miners.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4078 on: July 01, 2010, 04:58:27 pm »

Also, "Hunt for Small Vermin" is a task given to any dwarf utterly utterly starving when there is no food.

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4079 on: July 01, 2010, 05:25:10 pm »

Your dwarves are trapped and starving in your well because they can't get out. That's an easy problem to solve because they are miners.

Nope, they can definitely get out. They stood there idling until I let the water through. Now only one person is left, trying to get away with standing in 3-4/7 water in order to idle at his absolute favourite spot.

Also, "Hunt for Small Vermin" is a task given to any dwarf utterly utterly starving when there is no food.

Doh! Then that's why. Somehow he managed to trap himself built staircases to take care of him, and now he's headed for the booze pile.
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 3842