Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6101670 times)

languard

• Bay Watcher
  • Meep
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4035 on: June 28, 2010, 11:35:11 pm »

Planning on building this as my first megaconstruction.  Currently checking out embark sites to find a good spot.  96 z-levels of duel twisting towers.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As a side note, the UDK works real good for visualization of projects before you begin.
He's now moping around, doing Armok knows what. As far as I can tell he's just going to stay there, in the party room. Forever.
Given our relationship thus far, I can genuinely say the party has just begun for me. - Captain Mayday,

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4036 on: June 28, 2010, 11:37:23 pm »

What game is that?
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: June 28, 2010, 11:38:17 pm »

What game is that?

My guess is Unreal, considering he said "UDK", which could easily stand for Unreal Developer's Kit.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

languard

• Bay Watcher
  • Meep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4038 on: June 28, 2010, 11:39:59 pm »

What game is that?

Not a game, its the Unreal Development Kit.  It's the Unreal 3 Engine, same engines that powers BioShock, Gears of War, and various other games.  Free download at www.udk.com

And ninja'd while typing this :p
He's now moping around, doing Armok knows what. As far as I can tell he's just going to stay there, in the party room. Forever.
Given our relationship thus far, I can genuinely say the party has just begun for me. - Captain Mayday,

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4039 on: June 28, 2010, 11:40:36 pm »

Ooooooooooooooooh
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4040 on: June 28, 2010, 11:52:53 pm »

Plus while there aren't any boats in the game, building a lighthouse seems kind of odd if the majority of it is underground. It wouldn't be able to serve it's intended purpose, at least not very well.

Then you bring the sea down to the underground, good sir!

That's exactly what I was doing in one of my earlier forts - I built a series of locks to lower imaginary ships down to the first cavern layer. I was going to continue extending the system all the way to the bottom of the world, but alas, military bugs led to me being wiped out by goblins. I'll probably try again in my next fort after the current one.

How can you drain the ocean though? Water would constantly flood in from the corners of the map. At least I think it would.

Draining the ocean would be rather interesting. Then my fortress would be floating over a cliff rather than on water. If Toady ever implement realistic building physics then all of my forts are doomed.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4041 on: June 29, 2010, 12:03:36 am »

How can you drain the ocean though? Water would constantly flood in from the corners of the map.
Magma, obviously.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: June 29, 2010, 12:06:14 am »

How can you drain the ocean though? Water would constantly flood in from the corners of the map. At least I think it would.

Draining the ocean would be rather interesting. Then my fortress would be floating over a cliff rather than on water. If Toady ever implement realistic building physics then all of my forts are doomed.

Z-level above water:

Code: [Select]
|DDD|
|A.C|
|A.C|
|A.C|
|A.C|
|A.C|
|A.C|
|A.C|
|A.C|
|A.C|
|A.C|
|BBB|
|^^^|

. = channel
^ = magma pump
A = bridge A, likewise for other letters. All bridges are retracting and stay down.

Make sure all bridges are visible. Fill with magma. Repeatedly unpause as magma falls, forms into obsidian along ocean floor and eventually builds up until ocean is blocked. Drain the interior of your new dam. Dig away until you have decided on the new depth of your ocean. Dig diagonal baffles into the base of your dam so that it fills to the right level but not over. Ta-da!

moosecow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: June 29, 2010, 12:18:25 am »

A bronze colossus just stormed through the front of my fort and I thought I was doomed. Turns out, giant steel axe blade traps can decapitate them.

Now if only my military would stop equipping socks and instead equip steel armor :/

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: June 29, 2010, 01:06:37 am »

A bronze colossus just stormed through the front of my fort and I thought I was doomed. Turns out, giant steel axe blade traps can decapitate them.

Now if only my military would stop equipping socks and instead equip steel armor :/

Do you know that if you done this in 0.31 series, you're propably... hmm, second person who managed to kill a colossi there (bar magma-melting/freezing/cave-ins)?
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4045 on: June 29, 2010, 02:24:02 am »

Hm, I just had an idea for a pointless project. Build a giant bathtub in the sky that span across the entire map. Then pump water until it is filled.

It would accomplish absolutely nothing and I can't think of anything interesting to do with said bathtub, but it's better than having my legion of masons sitting around doing nothing.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

moosecow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4046 on: June 29, 2010, 02:37:03 am »

Do you know that if you done this in 0.31 series, you're propably... hmm, second person who managed to kill a colossi there (bar magma-melting/freezing/cave-ins)?

.31.08 here. I didn't expect it to work myself as it took 33 pages of just fracturing/shattering until it was beheaded as it walked across a sea of steel serrated-disc and giant axe traps. pic

I figured maybe the axe traps are 'giant' enough to actually hit the head of the colossus?

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4047 on: June 29, 2010, 05:23:21 am »

I just got a great embark. It's a 120 z-level vertical cliff with a chasm in it (with several GCS) right next to completely flat forest, and a magma pipe (no river, unfortunately). I'm thinking of making an immense tower spanning all the way from the bottom layer to the top. It would be over 200 z-levels high. Maybe I could make long bridge-like things from the edges of the map and have a magma ocean with a tower coming out if it...
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4048 on: June 29, 2010, 06:10:45 am »

I've been toying with several ideas to build when I make my next fortress. A grand entrance hall, a massive spiraling staircase, a few megaprojects etc. I searched for a reasonable spot to put it, and I finally found what appeared to be a pretty good spot.

2 and a half years in, I've found out there is no sedimentary layer and no goblins. On one side I've constructed a massive entrance with traps and the lot, but I've no smithing operation going whatsoever. On the other, with no goblins, I'm not sure whether or not I'd actually need any smiths...

Dora Feddy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: June 29, 2010, 04:52:12 pm »

Currently I'm building a drow fortress with a playable drow mod I found.  Some kobold thieves just tried to enter my fort... only to be stopped by two or three drowspiders, which are like the drow equivalent of cats. The kobolds were webbed, torn open, and left to rot by spiders who are probably only as big as a cat or kitten... I guess being on the short side does have disadvantages when you're faced with a cat sized arachnid...

Now if only I could hang up that torn off ear somewhere as a prize....
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 3842