Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6101678 times)

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4020 on: June 27, 2010, 09:22:24 pm »

I'm stumped with what to do with my current fort. My original megaproject plan to build a towering lighthouse has been ruined due to map having only 15 above ground Z levels. Once I'm finish building the nobles housing I won't have much to do with my legion of masons, and that it simply unacceptable. So does anyone have any ideas for megaprojects that wouldn't require more than 14 above ground z levels?

carve away the surface so that there are effectively more surface levels? bonus points if you carve through the caverns so that your lighthouse sits on top of hfs

I want the bottom of the lighthouse to be on the same level as my fort entrance though. Plus while there aren't any boats in the game, building a lighthouse seems kind of odd if the majority of it is underground. It wouldn't be able to serve it's intended purpose, at least not very well.

Also my fort as recently received a visit from Cewi, the enormous eyeless crocodile. So far it hasn't been able to do anything since my fortress is walled off from the caverns. However, it did murder every member of the nearby Batman tribe. This is how I learned that it apparently bleeds miasma. So while I could beat it in a fight since it's not made out of jelly, I'm not exactly eager to do so since its miasma would be a big problem. I'm trying to think of a way to make use of it. If only I could figure out how to get it under my drawbridge and not scare/kill my dwarves in the process.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: June 27, 2010, 09:31:07 pm »

Plus while there aren't any boats in the game, building a lighthouse seems kind of odd if the majority of it is underground. It wouldn't be able to serve it's intended purpose, at least not very well.

Then you bring the sea down to the underground, good sir!

afterthought

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4022 on: June 27, 2010, 09:43:37 pm »

Cewi, the enormous eyeless crocodile
IIRC bridges don't work on titans or FB?

After my previous story of dealing with 1 poisonous FB, I've had to deal with 2 more.

The first of these 2 was another vapor-releasing one. I tried the more or less same thing: I let it into my fortress, but had 3 good soldiers standing in it's path. They easily killed it but were once again covered in some hideous rotting substance. I decontaminated them, sealing off the removed substance in the chamber. Unfortunately, this time the poor soldiers began rotting even during decontamination. Advanced rot on nearly all external organs... 2 of the 3 decided to get out of bed before being fully treated, and went about their daily routine emitting miasma for a month before they eventually succumbed. The other (who was "really susceptible to disease") stayed bed-ridden much longer, eventually recovered, and is now the militia commander. Now I'm not so sure I think being disease-resistant is a positive trait :P

After this rather negative experience, I decided not to engage the next beast (poison blood!) with axes. Instead I dug out a 12-tile tall shaft, with a precarious walkway across. All held up by a single support, linked to a pressure plate. And a goat at the other end. That beast is lying in pieces at the bottom of the shaft now - forbidden pieces, behind a forbidden door. Now I need to get magma up another dozen levels so I can destroy these contaminants...

It's like DF: Chemical warfare edition

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4023 on: June 27, 2010, 09:47:49 pm »

Cewi, the enormous eyeless crocodile
IIRC bridges don't work on titans or FB?

They don't. According to the wiki any bridges that are retracted while a FB is on them will be deconstructed. Which sounds like they still do work though since the beast would fall into the pit. The bridge would be destroyed in the process. Anyways, this wouldn't be a problem since the Crocodile can't fly. If I could find a way to get it into the pit safely I could just feed my prisoners to it.

Also reading the combat log as shown me that this beast is a lot worse than I thought. After being caught in Cewi's extract for a few seconds, each batman began vomiting uncontrollably, and soon after they became paralyzed as well. So I take back what I said about my military being able to kill this thing.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 09:50:40 pm by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

Briggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: June 27, 2010, 11:11:56 pm »

I had a moment of "wtf" yesterday. I was so impressed that I screenshotted the combat log. I had a Forgotten Beast show up, able to fly and with a poison sting. It was coming towards my base, so I summoned my entire fortress (all wearing full iron plate and carrying iron short swords) to fight it. Well, the beast saw that and decided to instead fly up a couple of z levels. So I dismissed the military back to normal duties to try and lure it down. After a bit, it did come back down, so I again tried to summon my military might. I ordered them to a tunnel near the magma forges that it had landed at, planning on them taking it when it began advancing.

A lone sworddwarf arrived first. A novice. Rather than wait for reinforcements, she immediately charged the beast. I was certain I was about to have a dead dwarf. Imagine my surprise, though, when this novice sworddwarf took the beast out with three quick strikes, taking no damage in the process. Her first strike cut it nearly in half, the second finished the job, then as its torso was falling away, she decapitated it just to make sure it was dead. She is now my Captain of the Guard.

Also, for those 'pics or it didn't happen' folks...

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4025 on: June 27, 2010, 11:50:00 pm »

Quickly build a statue of this kill to commemorate the event.

Briggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: June 27, 2010, 11:51:37 pm »

Quickly build a statue of this kill to commemorate the event.
Is there a way to tell them what you want the statue to be of? o.O

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: June 27, 2010, 11:54:46 pm »

Not really, but if you repeat build you should get one you like. Recent events are usually high priority on the crafting list. So just repeat build rock statues (or metal if you have surplus) until one pops out, then destroy the failures.

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: June 28, 2010, 02:11:50 am »

31.08 fortress, up to 87 dwarves, modded the coals to produce 49 and 99 coke in the reaction raws, embarked with 100 bags of sand and have been pushing a glass gem cutting industry, got two legendary gem cutters from moods. (artefact large Gem, and a bed made from a gem) Been exporting cut green glass gems , and large green glass gems and the ocasional baubble or statue. Last trading session I had 6k dwarf bucks of exports. Just now starting to allow dwarves to specialize.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: June 28, 2010, 05:08:11 pm »

one of my starting seven, a legendary miner, needs shells.

soon he will die.

I need to get together some breeding stock somehow and start getting leather. so far when something gets moody I have to pray because I have such a limited selection of goods, as my civ is dead and I'm sealed beneath the waves.

*sigh* I so hope this guy doesn't cause a tantrum spiral.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: June 28, 2010, 09:00:05 pm »

soon he will die.

I need to get together some breeding stock somehow and start getting leather. so far when something gets moody I have to pray because I have such a limited selection of goods, as my civ is dead and I'm sealed beneath the waves.

*sigh* I so hope this guy doesn't cause a tantrum spiral.

That's my biggest gripe with oceans. Tropcial oceans have a never ending supply of fish and shellfish in them, but temperate oceans never seem to have anything inside them. It just doesn;t seem right, and I think it's something Toady needs to change.

Anyways, a Giant tried to crush my fort but in an anti-climax he was caught in a cage trap. Now I'm trying to decide what to do with him. I'm split between shoving him under my drawbridge to kill goblins, or relasing him into the caverns to fight Cewi. Both have the potential to cause danger, but could also be very satisfying. It seems wasteful to just keep him locked up in a cage.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: June 28, 2010, 09:12:04 pm »

an FB is in my cavern, meaning that I can't safely expand at the moment, this sets back my trapsetting attempts.

I need to catch some animals and skin them after they breed a bit.

Looking at the Deities one of them has "In Year XXX [God] recieved worship from Urist McPious" never seen that before.

Another mood. another death.

the First and third were lucky, and survived, the second and forth were doomed.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 09:25:43 pm by lanceleoghauni »

*Mayor facepalms*

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: June 28, 2010, 09:34:05 pm »

soon he will die.
Thats why only mod I use in all my forts is Giant Cave Turtle, dorf's domestic animal. I just keep few of them as walking shell stockpiles.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: June 28, 2010, 09:56:33 pm »

really any mood is terrifying for me at the moment because I'm lacking so many essentials.

no metal bars, no leather, no bone, no glass, no shells.

Adults to children/babies ratio is 3:7

this is going to be a problem when the adults all mood themselves to death.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 10:13:10 pm by lanceleoghauni »

*Mayor facepalms*

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: June 28, 2010, 11:25:03 pm »

Plus while there aren't any boats in the game, building a lighthouse seems kind of odd if the majority of it is underground. It wouldn't be able to serve it's intended purpose, at least not very well.

Then you bring the sea down to the underground, good sir!

That's exactly what I was doing in one of my earlier forts - I built a series of locks to lower imaginary ships down to the first cavern layer. I was going to continue extending the system all the way to the bottom of the world, but alas, military bugs led to me being wiped out by goblins. I'll probably try again in my next fort after the current one.
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 3842