Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6101832 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4005 on: June 26, 2010, 06:28:29 pm »

deleted
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 03:02:35 pm by hemmingjay »
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4006 on: June 26, 2010, 07:36:26 pm »

I'm stumped with what to do with my current fort. My original megaproject plan to build a towering lighthouse has been ruined due to map having only 15 above ground Z levels. Once I'm finish building the nobles housing I won't have much to do with my legion of masons, and that it simply unacceptable. So does anyone have any ideas for megaprojects that wouldn't require more than 14 above ground z levels?
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4007 on: June 26, 2010, 08:04:38 pm »

Extend your moat down to the magma sea.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: June 26, 2010, 08:57:33 pm »

My favorite project.
The upside down pyramid.

Flat at z level 0.

pointy at z level 100*

*Subject to change.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4009 on: June 26, 2010, 09:00:08 pm »

upside down pyramid.

Flat at z level 0.

pointy at z level 100

Think you meant to say pointy and then flat if it's upside-down. And that's.... what, a like 201x201 tile base, or 203x203 including ramps? Ambitious.

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: June 26, 2010, 09:44:11 pm »

annoyed at my army of goblin prisoners so I'm just gonna let them rot for now, processing plans for a massive prison with torture spikes but all in due time.

Focusing on erecting large obsidian towers all over my base, with 4 man squads garrisoned in each, and maybe catapults up top.

I NEED MORE MASONS. ALWAYS MORE MASONS

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4011 on: June 26, 2010, 09:52:44 pm »

upside down pyramid.

Flat at z level 0.

pointy at z level 100

Think you meant to say pointy and then flat if it's upside-down. And that's.... what, a like 201x201 tile base, or 203x203 including ramps? Ambitious.

No no no.
It goes like this.
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
 HHHHHHHHHHHHH
  HHHHHHHHHHH
   HHHHHHHHH
    HHHHHHH
      HHHHH
        HHH
          H

Of course with proper aligning.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: June 26, 2010, 09:58:08 pm »

I'm stumped with what to do with my current fort. My original megaproject plan to build a towering lighthouse has been ruined due to map having only 15 above ground Z levels. Once I'm finish building the nobles housing I won't have much to do with my legion of masons, and that it simply unacceptable. So does anyone have any ideas for megaprojects that wouldn't require more than 14 above ground z levels?

Build a Tower to the tallest Z-Level and then put a ceiling over the map.

Bonus: Find a way to make it out of Obsidian so that you can set it up to collapse.

Anyways, my fort just got a 21 Migrant wave to get to my Pop Cap of 40. I'm currently running at 17(10), which ain't bad considering. :)
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4013 on: June 26, 2010, 10:08:06 pm »

upside down pyramid.

Flat at z level 0.

pointy at z level 100

No no no.
It goes like this.
[pyramid]

Of course with proper aligning.

Higher numbers are used to represent higher z-levels, though. So I think you just mistyped then :P

Is it worth the effort to dig the ground down farther and do the lighthouse anyways?

afterthought

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: June 27, 2010, 12:01:50 am »

So this flying FB shows up and eventually finds the route into my fort - it's right past the "clever" trap I thought I'd try on some of the other FB's (a support holding up a platform - none of them seemed terribly interested in this trap). So I intercept this osprey of doom with my military only to have it release a giant (deadly?) cloud of extract all over my soldiers while they chopped it to pieces.

This naturally had me pretty concerned, but I had a plan. I had them entombed on the spot by building walls around them, and then channeled holes over the compartment on the z level above, and then began dumping water on them. Looks like they're all clean now. They were briefly unconscious though, and all of their exterior body parts are now bruised. I've let them out, lest they starve to death. Hopefully the condition doesn't worsen.

SpacemanSpiff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4015 on: June 27, 2010, 12:08:04 am »

The glass-making volcano fortress of Battletrumpets is now in its fourth year.  I'm using the population cap to limit immigration waves to 8 or so dwarves, and they only seem to arrive in spring, so my population is currently just 40.  I'll keep bumping it up till I hit 80, or there are too many dwarves to comfortably manage, whichever comes first. 

Almost all digging so far has been upwards, carving out a fortress inside the second (extinct) volcano cone.  I'm using a central staircase design around an open garbage-pit shaft, with four well shafts at the corners.  These well shafts go down to my first multi-level cisterns, which in turn are are being slowly filled from three murky ponds above ground.  After I drained a pond completely and then watched the rainwater just evaporating before it could get beyond 1/7, I realized the importance of managing the water level in the ponds.  The four well cisterns can be isolated from each other with underwater floodgates, and every floor can isolate itself from the central staircase with a moat-and-drawbridge system.  Once I sprinkle around a few rooms full of emergency supplies (booze, prepared meals, pick, bucket) the whole thing should be pretty survivable.

Since I haven't breached the caverns yet the only near-term threat comes from the goblins.  Unfortunately my militia could soon be outclassed: with no flux on the map I can only give them copper and iron armor, and their bronze axes and swords are only possible thanks to the mountainhome traders.  So after I finish digging out the last bedrooms and a hospital floor, I'm going to dig downwards looking for granite and veins of cassiterite.  Then my haulers and glassmakers will venture outside to start building a great goblin-sacrificing green-glass pyramid.  I just carried out my first ever goblin-drop to get an idea of a lethal height, and discovered that a 13 z-level fall will leave goblin bits splattered up the walls for a couple of levels above ground zero.  That should generate a good supply of bones from dismembered limbs, so I'm going to build an atom-smasher at the bottom of the pyramid shaft to get rid of all their clothing, plus an open platform on top to sun-bleach the bones. 

By the time all this is ready my legendary child bone-carver should be old enough to work: he's already made a frankly disturbing figurine out of grimeling bone, and I look forward to using him as the basis of a thriving export economy based entirely on goblin bone.  The little vulture-loving freak.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4016 on: June 27, 2010, 03:30:09 am »

My Blacksmith entered a fey mood.

The result?

A platinum statue of dwarves. The dwarves are travelling. This statue relates to the founding of Canyonlance in the early spring of 1051.

It's magnificent. Best artifact ever.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: June 27, 2010, 10:37:01 am »

carve away the surface so that there are effectively more surface levels? bonus points if you carve through the caverns so that your lighthouse sits on top of hfs
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4018 on: June 27, 2010, 11:03:34 am »

My Blacksmith entered a fey mood.

The result?

A platinum statue of dwarves. The dwarves are travelling. This statue relates to the founding of Canyonlance in the early spring of 1051.

It's magnificent. Best artifact ever.
ENVY
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4019 on: June 27, 2010, 05:26:58 pm »

Update on Godlyscar:

I have survived year one and the attack of the zombie horses. Jeee-hee-heeeee-yiminy that was annoying.
29 dwarves.
No tantrums (because nobody had friends) and a new legendary dining room. Unfortunately, I lost all my masons, so I'm training the new guys from literally nothing (random useless immigrants). And the group that was going to become my mighty army... died. a lot.
But I have survived!
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 3842