Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6101820 times)

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #3990 on: June 25, 2010, 09:47:14 pm »

...Shell? Horn? I dunno.
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: June 25, 2010, 10:36:27 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I just incinerated the goblin War Leader there.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Agamemnon

• Bay Watcher
  • Function - unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: June 25, 2010, 11:04:02 pm »

My megaproject fort is grinding along on 14 fps despite having killed almost all the livestock, so I finally turned temperature and weather off. Now it is around 26 fps but it is somehow still raining?!?  :o
Glossary #52
Execution shaft aka. dwarven wormhole

Works as follows: Things enter one end, emerge at the other and then get eaten by worms.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: June 25, 2010, 11:05:49 pm »

My megaproject fort is grinding along on 14 fps despite having killed almost all the livestock, so I finally turned temperature and weather off. Now it is around 26 fps but it is somehow still raining?!?  :o

Turning off weather doesn't stop weather altogether, it stops weather from changing. Turn it back on and then turn it off once the storm passes. And 14 FPS ain't that bad :P

SpacemanSpiff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: June 26, 2010, 01:51:25 am »

...Shell? Horn? I dunno.

Yeah, I just went through something similar.  I slaughtered a mountain goat, a dog, and a mule before realizing that my militia captain's screams for "body parts" really meant "bring me shells" not "bring me bones".  So I modded in hooves as shells (thanks wiki!), and slaughtered a horse and a cow.  She grabbed the lot, and kept screaming for more.  By this time I was out of herbivores, so I modded dogs to produce shells (the rare dog-crab?), and had to slaughter two more before she finally had enough. 

Agamemnon

• Bay Watcher
  • Function - unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: June 26, 2010, 03:35:39 am »

Well, that could be a problem, because it is never NOT raining on my map.  :-\
Even the 1 tile deep waterspill from the first year is still there, 10 years after.
Glossary #52

Works as follows: Things enter one end, emerge at the other and then get eaten by worms.

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: June 26, 2010, 04:45:12 am »

I just had my first goblin ambush in my current fort, a bunch of bow gobbos. Easy, I thought, ranged combat is busted at the moment, arrows can't penetrate cloth even.  Two dead axe dwarves later, I have reappraised the situation, and am considering some X-bow dwarves.

Meanwhile, in the lower cavern, we have uncovered a magma pipe, so the forges and smelters should be able to really get going now.

And I notice on my (u)nits list, three Unicorn (caged), which is nice. I wait to see if I can tame and breed them.  Got to love randomly placed cage traps.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: June 26, 2010, 10:40:41 am »

Currently your fortress mode dwarves cannot properly use crossbows.  Even with full quivers.  They use them as hammers.  The only exception is hunters, who hunt with their crossbows for a little while when they arrive, then mysteriously stop.

And you were only part right about bolts not doing damage.  I believe it's adamantine bolts that can't penetrate clothing. (too light, sharp, but it has no energy to impart into a target.)  Other bolts work just fine, of course against real armor they are still practically useless.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: June 26, 2010, 11:51:30 am »

I'd like to tell the tale of Kulet Zuglarcog, one of the legendary hunters of Glovedpraise (40d).

For some reason, this hunter ended up without a crossbow, but decided to go hunting anyway. She came upon a pack of wolves, who seemingly scattered then decided to gang up on her. Things were not looking good. Without armor or weapon, she was sure to perish. Kulet Zuglarcog then proceeded to beat the living shit out of all 3 wolves, suffering only a VERY minor neckwound.

About a minute later, dragging the corpse of one of the wolves back to base, she gave birth to a tiny baby girl.

Yes, that just happened. This True Dwarf™ decided that despite going into labour, she could not let her dear Glovedpraise down. So she went hunting. A mere pack of wolves did not stop her.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 11:54:05 am by Heavenfall »
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: June 26, 2010, 12:43:40 pm »

Major river. Hole 2-z deep. Three-wide canal. Wrong lever. Boy, water from river sure move FAST. Almost flooded whole fortress. And I just wanted to estabilish farming fields... now on three z-levels 1's and 2's everywhere, mud, dusting and general mess. At least it started evaporating.

In other news, possessed dorf produced Insightbridles, a lead barrel. Menaces, of course, with spikes of lead. Worth 4800. Laame.

she gave birth to a tiny baby girl.
This is normal. Pregnancy does not cause any detrimental effects - at least not yet. In fact, AFAIK there is no way in-game to get if some creature is currently pregnant.

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4000 on: June 26, 2010, 01:18:51 pm »

I'd like to think that she knew.
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4001 on: June 26, 2010, 04:30:35 pm »

Well into a 3 year fort, just staved off an ambush.  of the 7 that showed up, 4 goblin axemen and a human lasher got caught in cage traps; adding to my prison of 4 goblin axemen, 2 thieves, a human maceman and a human axelord - all of these I think it's time to deal with

whats the verdict gentlemen?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 04:32:08 pm by shoowop »

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4002 on: June 26, 2010, 04:46:51 pm »

another ambush hit. unfortunately I've been in the middle of digging around and polishing up my fort and left a tiny opening in a vital part of my roof.

double unfortunately a squad of crossbowman took advantage and began raining fury upon my little party area where I've built like 5 wells. only 3 dwarves were there but the one that got hit most was my best medical dwarf, a skilled surgeon/wound dresser/suturer :(

oh and also a gem cutter was killed but.. whatever

in better news, I caught a crossbowman and a thief trying to get in on the action. I must punish these little bastards

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: June 26, 2010, 05:14:34 pm »

Astakath again. Tundra water-less (I still have to somehow tap that frozen bit of brook...) challenge in 40d, mind you.

So, I have 30 dwarves, 3 being children [kids cap=5].

I was making a Mastaba for my first and only expedition leader - she's not dead yet - outside, in the knee-deep snow, with chert bricks and some iron statues. When the death will claim her, the entrance will be sealed - simple as that. So, I just started building the first floor...

Then ambush came, bowgoblins.

All workers were inside, bar one carpenter/temporary mastaba builder, Solon. I thought 'Aw hell no, he will get killed!' But she suprised me - she dodged the arrows and bolts alike, darting away. I've lost count after 20th projectile, and that was also the moment in which markdwarves arrived on fortifications of Astakath and began shooting the goblins away.

Solon was safe!

And then bowgoblins from other side. Same situation, but this time gobbos didn't had much time to shoot. Solon dodged those which were shot anyway.

I replaced her -chert cabinet- with a +silver cabinet+. She already likes it.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Agamemnon

• Bay Watcher
  • Function - unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #4004 on: June 26, 2010, 05:52:31 pm »

This:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I will CAST the three units thick outer hull out of magma. It spans all available z-levels (44) and is 49 tiles across. I am still piecing the temporary outer shell together. The inside will be completely mined out and the infrastructure will be constructed out of marble blocks, solid gold and steel. The central pumpstacks will later remain in operation and provide central heating to all dwarves as well as filling some huge reservoirs at the top to power 4 water+magma rocket engines!

This will be a dwarven Borg Cube!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 05:55:02 pm by Agamemnon »
Glossary #52

Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 3842