Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6102393 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #3870 on: June 22, 2010, 12:47:57 am »

A mason was just possessed. He ran to the leatherworks, then bounced back and forth between it and the tannery right next door about 5 times before beginning his mysterious construction. I can't wait to see what he produces  ::)

EDIT:

Why must my artifacts always suck?

What's an octopre?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3871 on: June 22, 2010, 01:17:58 am »

Two kittens just lead my first ever siege into all of my traps.
They  will recieve a warrior's burial and all the fish they could ask for if I can find them again.

Also, first experiments with water going smoothly without any noticable hit to FPS.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3872 on: June 22, 2010, 01:29:18 am »

Does this then mean that mothers are not actually carrying their children, but dragging them over the ground behind themselves?

I just had to illustrate this.

I like how babies float. I had one stuck in my drinking well for two months back on my first fort.

He eventually got pulled up somehow and got retrieved by the mother, one of the first 7.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: June 22, 2010, 01:34:42 am »

Hi!

That drawing is quite fitting :) :) :)

I like how babies float. I had one stuck in my drinking well for two months back on my first fort.

He eventually got pulled up somehow and got retrieved by the mother, one of the first 7.

This makes me glad that I only got 2/7 or 3/7 water into the fortress proper (since the well was still under construction, it included a stair well going from the lowest level to my hospital level, thus providing a very popular shortcut for my dwarves (^_^;; ). I guess you benefitted from dwarven babies not needing to be fed at all. Otherwise that might have ended differently.

Mmmmhhhh, this actually makes me wonder if the mother got any bad thoughts for having the baby kept away from her for an extended period of time...

Deathworks

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3874 on: June 22, 2010, 05:30:32 am »

Well I learned that the alignment of the above-ground biome affects the caverns in the new version. Everything in there is undead or would be better off undead. It didn't do that in .04 i know because I had been in the caverns of an evil biome with undead and all the cavern creatures were normal, alive (or at least the ones that were living creatures by default were)
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3875 on: June 22, 2010, 05:31:46 am »

A mason was just possessed. He ran to the leatherworks, then bounced back and forth between it and the tannery right next door about 5 times before beginning his mysterious construction. I can't wait to see what he produces  ::)

EDIT:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Why must my artifacts always suck?

What's an octopre?

Probably something from a mod.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3876 on: June 22, 2010, 11:37:14 am »

Seriously? A fucking splint?
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3877 on: June 22, 2010, 12:04:36 pm »

Channelling out the up/down stairs is taking a while longer than expected, but I've done maybe a third of it and have enough to catch a glimpse of what's to come. The castle fortress carved from an iceberg shall be finished at all costs.

Spoiler: 20z-high cathedral (click to show/hide)

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3878 on: June 22, 2010, 12:08:21 pm »

Hi!

That drawing is quite fitting :) :) :)

This makes me glad that I only got 2/7 or 3/7 water into the fortress proper (since the well was still under construction, it included a stair well going from the lowest level to my hospital level, thus providing a very popular shortcut for my dwarves (^_^;; ). I guess you benefitted from dwarven babies not needing to be fed at all. Otherwise that might have ended differently.

Mmmmhhhh, this actually makes me wonder if the mother got any bad thoughts for having the baby kept away from her for an extended period of time...

Deathworks

Nope, that was back a year or two ago in 40d.
The baby almost died. It got thirsty and hungry though.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3879 on: June 22, 2010, 12:56:22 pm »

A strange mood wanted silk cloth.  So I prep my military and break down one wall leading to the caverns.  And a weaver quickly runs out and grabs some web and runs back in, I order the opening closed back off, but it's not quite fast enough and one of the birdlike forgotten beasts wandering my caverns scares the mason off and engages the military.

I'm not too worried, its an organic, so I figure my guys should be able to make short work of it, and according to the description only it's bite is poison.  So I just closely monitor the combat logs, and the forgotten beast fails to penetrate any armor with the bite.  And the battle itself seems to be engraving worthy, various war leopards and cougars and dogs and such hanging off of the thing's backs and wings with their teeth while the military immobilizes it with large spears and hacks away with greatswords.  Battle couldn't have gone better.

But there was an oddity.  The creature was described as a great eyeless cuckoo.  But This showed up in the combat log.
The war Leopard scratches The Forgotten Beast in the right eyelid from behind, tearing the skin!
  Ignoring how it managed to do that from behind the thing, I thought the forgotten beast was EYELESS! How did that happen?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3880 on: June 22, 2010, 01:17:06 pm »

Steelmatched: Where camels go to die.

My meat and leather industry has seen a remarkably steady influx; Every couple minutes in realtime, about ten camels wander onto the map, either one humped or two. This has resulted in a legendary axedwarf with 62 kills, 46 of which are camels. My butchers, cooks, and tanners are having a hard time keeping up. Even my twenty some haulers are having trouble getting all the food distributed properly. Although I am in a yellow sand desert, the landscape is now dotted with red splotches of camel blood. This amuses me greatly.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
« Reply #3881 on: June 22, 2010, 01:39:33 pm »

There is a lake in the middle of my fort. I grow tired of the obstacle it's been posing to my industrial area. So I'm draining it into the brook. This is also the first time I've ever implemented any sort of power in any of my fortresses.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

@silver
Sounds like fun :P
Just make sure your axedwarf doesn't tire of the service and go nuts and kill your entire population single-handedly.

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
« Reply #3882 on: June 22, 2010, 02:39:14 pm »

Useless.

Or not.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 02:41:07 pm by madk »

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3883 on: June 22, 2010, 02:45:09 pm »

I'm working on making a very complicated water network to my fort which will get water too all of my Fortress, will fertilize and you can also add new parts and redirect it without any problems. The core of it has been in the works for a year and a half.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3884 on: June 22, 2010, 03:12:17 pm »

Just a question:

@madk: What tileset it is? If it's on Dwarfwiki, can I has teh linkz? :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 3842