Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6103924 times)

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #3795 on: June 19, 2010, 11:06:30 pm »

loading up 31.07

expect shens

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3796 on: June 19, 2010, 11:22:45 pm »

I've got this one dude, Eric the Ranger who spams messages like: Eric McWhatever Ranger cancels eat: Unconcious.

He's been in a fight, but only his left elbow and right ankle are yellow, everything else is white. He's 'Unconscious' and 'Hungry'.

Is this some sort of permanent brain damage?

I had a similar problem with a marksman who had an eye injury in 40D. He would sporadically (daily in dwarf terms) flop on the floor unconscious. I watched him several times, going in and out of the [v]iew page and he didn't experience any pain or whatnot beforehand, just keeled over.
It became very dangerous at one point during a battle, across a river, with orcish bowmen, in which he predictably fell unconscious as soon as he arrived on the scene (which isn't good for us since the enemy's morale must have skyrocketed)before sustaining any injuries and was then turned into a pincushion. remarkably, he survived the ordeal and infact woke up in time to take out a couple of orcs and save the other marksmen that had passed out.

Lost about half the military that day(month), and a couple civvies trying to rescue them, but the orcs luckily ran out of ammo(hahaha) and proceeded to stand there until the last one finally bled out. From that day on I never leave any opening un-walled up to the point where the enemy absolutely cannot shoot over it(at least as long as they can't fly), Or, you know, build entirely underground.

You know who's even more annoying than me (when) I (type) like (this)(?) My current fort's liaison. He was so annoying my expedition leader went melancholy after only the import agreement. At least I don't need to go through the rest of the meeting.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 11:27:36 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3797 on: June 19, 2010, 11:28:08 pm »

loading up 31.07

expect shens
You mean 31.08
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3798 on: June 19, 2010, 11:31:14 pm »

I'm pretty certain of this, but as it is vital to my city's survival, water cannot seep in through a corner between walls on different Z levels can it?

~~
~#
#_

Kinda like that, with this being a side view.

Edit: Nevermind, Found it on Pressure, Not the water Page of the wiki.

Hey! I was going to try building my next fort underwater with glass! Now it's not a cool and original idea  :(

All joking aside, you might as well just assume it does. Better safe than sorry, right?

Sorry! you're the second person Who's told me I stole the originality of their idea from them. I actually decided to do it based on a challenge page I read. seems to be doing well so far.

Edit: Ran out of glass so I had to use Olivine. It's a bit grotesque really, I'll have to replace it as soon as I find sand, I know it's here somewhere. Oh, and this appears to be a generational fort. My Dwarven Civ has no important leaders and my second immigration was 3 people. no caravan either. I am assuming this means it was wiped out.

We at Honoredsalve are the only ones left...

we must seal ourselves in a vault beneath the waves and grow in number, before we once again rise to the surface to repopulate the globe.

Edit 2: First Bioshock themed, then Fallout 3 themed. what OTHER videogame themes is DF gonna throw at me?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 11:38:44 pm by lanceleoghauni »
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3799 on: June 19, 2010, 11:43:03 pm »

Edit 2: First Bioshock themed, then Fallout 3 themed. what OTHER videogame themes is DF gonna throw at me?

Dragon Age themed! Though that's cheating, since some of the BioWare writers who worked on the game have played Dwarf Fortress. :)

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3800 on: June 20, 2010, 12:05:13 am »

I should hope no building destroyer 2's show up. I'm not ready for THAT.

I need to finish moving my gear in before I'm ready for THAT.

*Mayor facepalms*

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3801 on: June 20, 2010, 12:09:15 am »

I've sealed off Lightlances, my generational fort, from the outside world completely, at least for the time being. With only 16 dwarves, and only 7 of those adults, I have no practical way to fight off any invading forces other than my 50 war dogs.

It's interesting to watch the families slowly form and grow. We're into our eighth year, and three dwarven couples have all been married, and are having children now. When they mature, they should be able to marry, and so on, until the fort's population reaches incredible levels. I hope. Someday I hope to have a huge, fully-functioning fortress here, populated completely by the descendents of the seven founders.

Interestingly enough, I've yet to get a dwarven or human caravan. Any reason this would be, other than those races being extinct? I do get elven caravans as well as kobold thieves/ambushes, so there's definitely access.

-Ops
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3802 on: June 20, 2010, 12:16:44 am »

Honoredsalve is near ready to seal itself off. come spring the entire thing will be submerged, and the fortress will never again rise above the level of the water. though I reserve the right to dig up into the cliffs so long as it's still below the water line.

as I have no magma (yet) I need tips on Tree farms, anything special? or just get a huge area wet and wait?

Edit: it is done. Maybe with a nifty pump setup I can use siege weapons to hunt merfolk.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 12:29:42 am by lanceleoghauni »

*Mayor facepalms*

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3803 on: June 20, 2010, 12:42:48 am »

as I have no magma (yet) I need tips on Tree farms, anything special? or just get a huge area wet and wait?

Not even that. Just dig some dirt. They'll show up, along with tons of free berries for your gatherers to collect. Can't run your fort off them, but they're good if you've forgotten to set up farms.

Damn, I thought the frozen-ocean underwater fortress idea was mine first.

One more thing. If I were to embark on a volcano and make a magmatuct with screw pumps that runs off the map, and do this repeatedly, could I run magma from a volcano to a completely different place? I think I might mod my dwarves into megaproject dwarves and try it... 
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3804 on: June 20, 2010, 12:45:35 am »

Not even that. Just dig some dirt. They'll show up, along with tons of free berries for your gatherers to collect. Can't run your fort off them, but they're good if you've forgotten to set up farms.

Damn, I thought the frozen-ocean underwater fortress idea was mine first.

One more thing. If I were to embark on a volcano and make a magmatuct with screw pumps that runs off the map, and do this repeatedly, could I run magma from a volcano to a completely different place? I think I might mod my dwarves into megaproject dwarves and try it...

I think someone bridged an ocean in 40d using this tactic.

EDIT: rather, they breached the volcano, devoted a series of forts to magma-direction, and then WALKED THE MAGMA OVER with adventurer mode.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 12:55:01 am by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3805 on: June 20, 2010, 12:47:48 am »

Will getting a huge area wet work?

I mean, This far down there's not a lot of soil left...

*Mayor facepalms*

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3806 on: June 20, 2010, 12:57:05 am »

My new 31.08 fort is going extremely well, except the booze stockpile is emptying exceedingly quickly...

Does anyone know how much drink 1 plant will get, or if it's random depending on your brewers skill?

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3807 on: June 20, 2010, 12:59:35 am »

oh Armok...

We've run out of booze and the river's not thawed yet....

Edit: I've managed to salvage the situation, but we had to burn through the last of the Plants I'd managed to stockpile. I desperately need the thaw, so I can plant again.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 01:01:27 am by lanceleoghauni »

*Mayor facepalms*

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3808 on: June 20, 2010, 01:06:46 am »

Hmm. A murky pool collapsed into the volcano as soon as I embarked. What are the chances?

EDIT:

Revealing adamantine. I guess there's adamantine in every embark now.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3809 on: June 20, 2010, 01:09:00 am »

THE THAW.

WE ARE SAVED.

Praise be to the gods.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
as of right now, Much to do still

Edit: went to irrigate my farm chamber:

HOLY %#&*! an 11X13 room filled to 7/7 INSTANTLY  :o

on the plus side there's no way in hell anything is getting to my fortress.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 02:11:14 am by lanceleoghauni »

*Mayor facepalms*

Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 3842