Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6104593 times)

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #3705 on: June 17, 2010, 05:09:42 pm »

Just bought and trained a War Tiger, and about a week later one of my Carpenters goes insane from not getting what he wants. Childish really. Anyway:

The war Tiger shakes The Carpenter around by the upper body!
The war Tiger latches on firmly!
The Carpenter punches The war Tiger in the lower body with her right hand, bruising the muscle and bruising the right kindey!
The war Tiger bites The Carpenter in the lower body, bruising the skin through the (pigtail fiber cloak)!
The war Tiger shakes The Carpenter around by the lower body!
The lower body is ripped away and remains in The war Tiger's grip!
Urist McGoneCrazy, Carpenter has been struck down.

Go go gadget Tigger!

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3706 on: June 17, 2010, 05:14:55 pm »

while I was fiddling around with the plumbing for the Avatar of Armok I'm building, I realized that all the whining about including/not including waste could easily be resolved with Magma plumbing, instead of water. making it simply another pain at first and then a nonissue.

so simple, I'm surprised I didn't realize it before.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

grufti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3707 on: June 17, 2010, 05:16:21 pm »

My actual fortress is up to the challenge to survive with as few traps as possible, atm there are only 4 weapon traps and 2 cage traps built.

Now I got my 5th siege in somewhat around a year. It hasn't been stronger as the last ones, 2 troll squads, 1 bowmangobo squad, 1 swordgobo squad, 1 mounted speargobo squad. I seal the caverns and wait for the first squad to arrive - a few trolls. As in every siege one guy headrushes out the entry, so I send the rest of my 10 dwarves behind him. They deal with the trolls relatively fast, though this seemed to be a tougher one. A few seconds later the bowgobo squad arrives and shoots at my dwarves from atop the hill.

I have to say arrows and bolts are really bad stuff in .06, I've already lost a few dwarves to them in the last few sieges, because one of their ears got scratched and they bled to death.

The bowyers didn't hit anything this time, though 2 dwarves got hurt by trolls + 1 mounted speargobo. So I sent the militia down to the second entrance to kill the second wave of trolls and stuff. The militia clashes together with the second wave, being outnumbered by about 1 to 7, 3 more get hurt. "Well this may be the end of my fortress," I'm thinking as only 2 more dwarves are out on the battlefield (the other 3 are sleeping or whatsoever) - I won't savescum due to gameplay stuff, only because of really fun destroying bugs - but then my militia captain and my best Axedwarf arrive at the battlefield. they slice and dice through the gobos as if they were paper. *gosh*

Well, to come to an end everyone survived the battle, even though 5 dwarves got severely hurt in the fight. And now I can see, the health system works, if it works ;D . With the surgery workaround, one of the dwarves is already up and running, and the other 4 are on their best way to get restored (surgery and setting bones jobs are already complete). 1 dwarf has gained Master skill in Shield Using.

In the end I'm really happy with the outcome of the siege (especially because I finally got the damn warleader killed).

SpacemanSpiff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3708 on: June 17, 2010, 05:24:48 pm »

Which surgery workaround did you use - getting rid of all your tables completely, forbidding them, or just locking the surgeon into the hospital with no tables inside?

grufti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3709 on: June 17, 2010, 05:37:29 pm »

forbidding all built tables and building no tables/traction benches in the hospital zone

abchiptop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3710 on: June 17, 2010, 06:11:22 pm »

i locked down the front gate with weapon traps. my liaison from the mountain home got stuck v.v

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3711 on: June 17, 2010, 06:31:12 pm »

finally got around to uploading a map of my mega-project fort.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-8951-springsword

Anything interesting you'd like to point out about my horrible planning?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Alguem

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3712 on: June 17, 2010, 08:47:35 pm »

A huge blob composed of vomit. It has wings and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its deadly spittle!
is tearing it apart.

Part of my attempt to sabotage it so I can start a new one. Disturbingly, among the 6 remaining dwarfs, 5 are miserable and 1 is ecstatic. After 33 casualties. Quite the sadist! Or emetophilic!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3713 on: June 17, 2010, 09:27:48 pm »

finally got around to uploading a map of my mega-project fort.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-8951-springsword

Anything interesting you'd like to point out about my horrible planning?

Looks like a good start, Eric. Hopefully you get a steady wood supply. It might be in your interests to dig out a massive underground tree farm.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3714 on: June 17, 2010, 10:24:46 pm »

Made a copy of my Pickbound fort. Abandoned and went there as adventurer. It's cool. The only artifact in the world is still in Denver's room. I accidentally released the giant cave spider. along with many other animals.

There is still a merchant living down in my forging area. I chatted with him.

After picking up some stuff such as adamantium bars and thread, I went to sleep in Denver's bed.

Sleeping in his bed again. This time I'm near death.
Went back up to the dining room and it was filled again with more weaklings. But one got a hit on my. Started running down to the bedroom but also started loosing consciousness once I reached the bedroom floor. eventually killed the two trogies and ghoul that chased me and made it to the bed to rest.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 10:52:29 pm by Hippoman »
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3715 on: June 18, 2010, 12:04:22 am »

I've been working on my generational fort, with no migrants whatsoever. Unfortunately, one of my miners (who was doubling as a fisher) got ambushed by goblins and died a horrible death. And so I'm down to 6.

Despite the fort being in its... 7th year, and having two couples since the first, they haven't moved past 'lover'. I really need them to get married and have children before something horrible happens. Is there a specific criteria for them to go from 'lover' to 'husband/wife'?
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3716 on: June 18, 2010, 12:07:38 am »

I've been working on my generational fort, with no migrants whatsoever. Unfortunately, one of my miners (who was doubling as a fisher) got ambushed by goblins and died a horrible death. And so I'm down to 6.

Despite the fort being in its... 7th year, and having two couples since the first, they haven't moved past 'lover'. I really need them to get married and have children before something horrible happens. Is there a specific criteria for them to go from 'lover' to 'husband/wife'?

It's all about time off. Make a 1x1 meeting area, disable all party-eligible areas, and give them a lot of time off. It'll happen.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3717 on: June 18, 2010, 12:09:26 am »

don't forget to make all their quarters legendary.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3718 on: June 18, 2010, 02:15:34 am »

A huge blob composed of vomit. It has wings and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its deadly spittle!
is tearing it apart.

Part of my attempt to sabotage it so I can start a new one. Disturbingly, among the 6 remaining dwarfs, 5 are miserable and 1 is ecstatic. After 33 casualties. Quite the sadist! Or emetophilic!
It came from HIS nose!

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3719 on: June 18, 2010, 02:36:51 am »

If he had just vomited through his nose he wouldn't be so ecstatic.

[/notspeakingfrompersonalexperience]
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 3842