Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6104804 times)

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #3675 on: June 16, 2010, 01:27:10 pm »

I just breached the caverns for the first time. I then quickly sealed them off with a wall, and began digging a secondary shaft down into them that will serve as caverns access for my fortress. Why? Because I'm paranoid about what is lurking down there, and I don't want them gaining access to my main mines or fortress. I'm probably overreacting though.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3676 on: June 16, 2010, 02:46:38 pm »

I just got an ambush, and ordered all my civilains back into the fort. The only one outside was my doctor. Luckily, he was only being chassed by a hammerman and was running towards the forts entrance.

He runs right up the entrance, then he decides to turn around and run off into the distance. The moron almost made it into safety, but then decided to completley bypass it. If he dies, he deserves to.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3677 on: June 16, 2010, 03:38:02 pm »

The idea I posted about a while ago? It works.

I wanted to find a freezing ocean and dig through the ice, then build an underwater fortress which can only be accessed during winter, and only from the inside (or have an access shaft to the surface). It worked perfectly, except the ocean I'd chosen didn't thaw, but that didn't matter. The fortress fell apart soon after I attempted to dig a water tank, they always seem to go wrong when I build them. It's a proof of concept, and it works.

Of course, I'll have to set up a system to remove the water from the access shaft. Or, I could just not build a floor to the mainland.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: June 16, 2010, 04:19:52 pm »

Got bored with my current fort so in the name of SCIENCE I had my dorfs dig to the bottom to see if the chaps from the underworld if unable to path to my fort would instead just scrap with whatever else they found instead. At the moment They are flying about one of the caverns setting fire to trolls and the like so even though my fps is dead at least I learned something today.
Special mention should to three Batmen who so far have managed to kill seven or so Demons although they probably won't survive much longer as the rest of the horde looks to be converging on them.

Dungeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3679 on: June 16, 2010, 04:27:04 pm »

I just got an ambush, and ordered all my civilains back into the fort. The only one outside was my doctor. Luckily, he was only being chassed by a hammerman and was running towards the forts entrance.

He runs right up the entrance, then he decides to turn around and run off into the distance. The moron almost made it into safety, but then decided to completley bypass it. If he dies, he deserves to.

Some of my Dwarves at Balded Bears are doing that from Goblin Ambush's, they just wont run right to the door thats right infront of them. And then they get caught by another ambush squad and beat to death. I know Dwarves are stupid, but come on. That takes the cake.

Only I cant let mine die, or the whole fort could go into a Tantrum spiral.
I support the eating of Goblins to handle Dwarf food issues. Om nom nom nom, Goblin burgers.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3680 on: June 16, 2010, 05:43:56 pm »

The idea I posted about a while ago? It works.

I wanted to find a freezing ocean and dig through the ice, then build an underwater fortress which can only be accessed during winter, and only from the inside (or have an access shaft to the surface). It worked perfectly, except the ocean I'd chosen didn't thaw, but that didn't matter. The fortress fell apart soon after I attempted to dig a water tank, they always seem to go wrong when I build them. It's a proof of concept, and it works.

Of course, I'll have to set up a system to remove the water from the access shaft. Or, I could just not build a floor to the mainland.

I had the same idea. For my first project I was going to try digging into the frozen ocean and constructing a room built from clear glass, and have it be a reverse aquarium for my dwarves. Though the ocean I recently embarked on never freezes so instead I'm just going to build a giant lighthouse.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: June 16, 2010, 06:37:31 pm »

Getting ready to abandon: This herd of horses is going to turn skeletal soon.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

ProZocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3682 on: June 16, 2010, 06:48:48 pm »

Building the third level on my Illithid tower and having fun every time Rhesus Macaques try to enter my fortress to steal and get greeted by about 25 trolls chilling out on the entrance.

Fly my little monkeys, FLY!
I always imagine dwarves to train as if fighting pretend monsters. "It's a carp, use your sword!" "Shwish! Shwoosh! It's dead!" "Oh no, it's a giant cave spider! Noo, it's got me! Kill it with your axe!" "Swoosh, I cut off its head!"
UNDEAD ELEPHANTS.HERDS OF THEM.EVEN IN DEATH I STILL GRAZE.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: June 16, 2010, 06:51:27 pm »

pulled out of a tantrum spiral intact (8 dwarves left).

Why do I keep getting high level Glassmaker migrants? 1 legendary, 2 High Masters.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3684 on: June 16, 2010, 07:22:55 pm »

Tantruming because after reclaiming my fort the cavern isn't muddy anymore, so I have no ability to farm where my fort is dug now -.-

EDIT: Well I searched for water to muddy new ground. I found water, and skeletal elk birds, lots of them. *reclaim*

EDIT2: Managed to clear out the elk birds this time, but my militia commander is a crybaby. Might not work well.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 07:45:21 pm by AtomicPaperclip »
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3685 on: June 16, 2010, 08:06:13 pm »

the base of Armok, the destroyer has been started. My only concern is that I underestimated the space I need for plumbing, as it was originally meant to be a lighthouse, Not a water AND magma shooting monstrosity.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3686 on: June 16, 2010, 08:26:23 pm »

I have just finished sealing the caverns entirely after slaying 5 Forgotten Beasts. I am now continuing with my Great Wall, which was started before the sealing. I delayed it due to the Forgotten Beasts' and Crundles' existence annoying me.
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

absynthe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: June 16, 2010, 09:00:25 pm »

I learned that dwarves without arms can't even trade. I have yet to find one labor an armless dwarf will do.

I also discovered that armless dwarves can't carry food to the dining room, and will instead sit in the food stockpile, eating straight from the stack/barrel.  I'm not sure if this is awesome or horrible.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3688 on: June 16, 2010, 09:27:29 pm »

An orc mounted on a giant toad just charged into my moat, drowning the Orc siege leader.  They really need to train their mounts better.  Since the orcs are now just milling around their bloated corpse of a leader.   The Giant Toad appears to be content sitting on the orc leader's corpse in the water.

I told my military to stand down to get something to eat and drink, then they are going to wipe the floor with some pathetically armored, crossbow greenskins.

EDIT: Fudge, despite full steel armor covering I lost 3 of 20 legendary sword and spear users.  One to a cut lip that never stopped bleeding, one somehow lost an ear through her helmet and also bled out.  And one took a mithril arrow through steel greaves that stuck and wouldn't stop bleeding.  Only the last one makes any sense to me as a cause of death.  All the doctors were too buzy treating the 3 patients that somehow took a minor wound and made it to the hospital under their own power.

EDIT2:And apperantly my commander was one of those wounded.  He stayed in bed long enough to receive sutures, then the doctor claimed he also dressed the wound.  He then promptly continued bleeding all the way to the barracks, despite being off duty to do some individual combat drills and bled out.  That's 4 legendary soldiers lost to a siege that logically should not have been able to harm my soldiers at all.  2 to ridiculous wounds that shouldn't have killed anything, and two to spectacular malpractice.

EDIT3: Ok the commander's death was because of a combination of malpractice and ridiculous wounds.  Looking at the combat logs it was a mithril bolt that went through his gauntlet. His only wound the whole battle. But it only cut the skin, didn't go deep at all.  Yet he bled the whole way to the hospital, got the bolt removed, the wound sutured, and according to the logs anyway, his wound dressed (though I didn't see any dressing on him and he was still bleeding) and then he bled out from what is almost the definition of a light scratch.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 10:17:47 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Terisuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3689 on: June 17, 2010, 12:11:20 am »

Hahahaha.

Siegemas rolled around again, and the gobbos were especially fun this year - NO BOWMEN.  I got to just throw my axedwarves in the middle of squad after squad of pikers, speargobs and macegobs.  One of my better killers had a streak where for three actions in a row she just clean decapitated macegoblins, bam bam bam, three heads off.  He ended the siege with eighteen goblins and trolls killed - far exceeding my militia commander, who had second place with ten kills.  Three of my dorfs aggro'd on a fresh squad which was down a z-level, and I saw them disappear, wait for a second, and then the open space indicator just turned RED over a 5x5 area, and body parts were flying everywhere.  Didn't feel like dealing with cage traps, so tried to head them off before they got there - only one squad hit the traps, and they didn't even make it to the inner walls before being diced into fun-size bits. 

I cleared the siege just in time to permit the elven caravan, which is...  meh?  I don't really need cloth that much, but last year they brought some good animals, resulting in my military commander's personal war leopard.  Here's hoping for bears.
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 3842