Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6105016 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #3630 on: June 15, 2010, 01:42:37 pm »

One of my fisherdwarves was.. um... fishing... when a werewolf attacked him, ripped off both his arms, then pushed him into the pond (okay, he probably dodged into it, but still). He managed to recover after I channeled a ramp for him to crawl out of, but now I have an armless dwarf who can no longer grasp items. I removed all his labors just to cut down on the TOO INJURED announcement spam.

I might name him "Stumpy", I think.

could he still do admin/trade, freeing up a pair of hands? ;)
This is a blank sig.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3631 on: June 15, 2010, 01:49:40 pm »

First Migrant to arrive.
Legendary carpenter.
No joke.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Dungeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: June 15, 2010, 02:05:40 pm »

First Migrant to arrive.
Legendary carpenter.
No joke.

Wish I had your luck. I don't get anything nearly that good, even if its useful.

And I swear if I see one more useless Pedo enticing child-Dwarf arrive with a migration, I'm gonna put them in my future Gobo-pop factory as well as my captured goblins.  ::)
I support the eating of Goblins to handle Dwarf food issues. Om nom nom nom, Goblin burgers.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #3633 on: June 15, 2010, 02:37:33 pm »

I've decided to play my fort a bit differently. The embark was, as I mentioned few pages back, quite good, quite good indeed. And despite recieving an unusually high number of low-value artifacts, two of my metalsmith got in mood so I had one legendary armoursmith much sooner than planned (alas, weaponsmith was possessed).
The different approach in this fort was building a Great Hall just one level above (although couple of urists away) from main forge area. Below - bathroom-to-be. Above - main food stockpiles. Further above workshops. And right beside the Hall were supposed to be four open-air statue gardens.
I even got a Giant Eagle from the Elves.

But the main difference was that I decided to rely solely on cage traps.

First ambush was a bit troublesome, but I pushed on.

Then, I decided to give my open-air statue gardens a green light.

The plan was risky even with my main three miners digging 5x5 (or more, do not remember) ramps straight down for 20+ levels. One went on a break, one fell a sleep, all were thirsty. I decided to speed things a bit, change the digging plant to 1x1 up/down stairs.
But the plan was straightforward dwarfy when we breached yet uncharted territory of 2nd Cavern.

For you see, there were 2 FBs down there.

One of them a blob of mud. In a shell.

Aaahhhhhh yes...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A Fortress-wide call-to-arms. In all it's glory.

First FB, an aligator, went down.

The second is more interesting - it's shell gone, it's body in red, traped in 1x1 stairs shaft. With most of the dwarfs cramped above and below him.

I can vividly imagine it.

75+ dorfs, unarmed, unarmoured. Packed tight sowehere between 20-25 level in the bowels of the earth. First of their fallen slowly starting to rot. Frenzied. Miserable. And thirsty.
With bloodlust in their eyes, trying to beat that hated forgotten beast into a mud.
Alas, it IS the mud.

I think I'll draw this.

Also:
Simply had to paint it (yeah I know, I'm no good at painting :) )

http://www.imagebanana.com/view/n5u5kiu/dwarvenAtlantis.JPG
This is absolutely adorable. Thank you.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

absynthe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3634 on: June 15, 2010, 02:47:44 pm »

I might name him "Stumpy", I think.

could he still do admin/trade, freeing up a pair of hands? ;)

This... might be the best idea I've ever heard. Armless bookkeeper ftw!

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: June 15, 2010, 03:03:18 pm »

my dwarves are ultra fertile for some reason

I've had like 10 babies in a year

also I can't wait until the dungeon master noble is fixed, I embarked in an untamed wilds biome and have already caught giant eagles, cougars, etc... I just cant do anything with them.

Until then I may just release these noble beasts back into the wilds.. perhaps I'll set them all up in cages next to my trade depot. wait for the next elven caravan to arrive
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 03:05:30 pm by shoowop »

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: June 15, 2010, 03:37:51 pm »

OH GOD!

EDIT: So I was looking for rachel's body which apparently denigrated. anyway, when i check the unit list. GIANT MUTHA FUCKING CAVE SPIDE DIRECTLY 1 TILE AWAY FROM ENTERING MY BASE.
I locked the door, but I'll be ready for him next time. With a cage.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 03:56:12 pm by Hippoman »
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: June 15, 2010, 03:55:49 pm »

I'm embarking on a glacier for the first time. Let's see how this will turn out.

EDIT: The name of my new glacier fort? Frozensouls.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 03:58:37 pm by Diablous »
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Terisuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: June 15, 2010, 04:42:34 pm »

Only one FB left on the map, and I need to do a digging project down there, so my genocide proceeds apace. 

I gear up my squad, anticipating another epic battle.  My squad was having none of it.

My militia commander has no flair for the dramatic.  Apparently after the first five beasts, this is old hat.  On the plus side, this means I only need two butcher shops. 

Also, I'm relieved that the sizzling cloud of beast goo did absolutely nothing, even after waiting.  I like this guy too much to lose him to poisonous FB bukkake.   

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
« Reply #3639 on: June 15, 2010, 04:44:54 pm »

My first wave of migrants is composed of 3 dwarves... and 2 children. Useless scum.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3640 on: June 15, 2010, 04:51:48 pm »

My current venture into DF2010 is in a great place.

Major river divides it in half, no aquifers, and there's lots of limestone, magnetite, limonite, and lignite in the first 2 stone (under 3 dirt) layers.
It's at the crossroads of four human towns, and they've built a bridge and...looks like they'd been trying to build a road IN the river, which immediately flooded, but the sidewall allowed part of the riverbed to dry... and gave me a great source for wood that I could access through deconstructions.

However... there's also a masterful adamantine sword down below, as I found out when linking up a spike trap to a lever.

There are pretty much no dwarves in this world. And this is a big problem, because there are PLENTY of kobolds and goblins. I've had to seal off the fort entirely and just pick up the corpses (from underneath) of any trade caravans, while my population is stuck at 18.

I've just dug down to the magma sea in order to get my steel production underway, because right now, I can't fight off kobold thieves. I need armor and weapons, and am relying on stonefall traps to tell me when I should have my atomsmasher running. Even so, it's been very tense.

Good thing there's plenty of water and food. But I really need to take the fight back to the surface!

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: June 15, 2010, 05:06:32 pm »

My current venture into DF2010 is in a great place.

Major river divides it in half, no aquifers, and there's lots of limestone, magnetite, limonite, and lignite in the first 2 stone (under 3 dirt) layers.
It's at the crossroads of four human towns, and they've built a bridge and...looks like they'd been trying to build a road IN the river, which immediately flooded, but the sidewall allowed part of the riverbed to dry... and gave me a great source for wood that I could access through deconstructions.

However... there's also a masterful adamantine sword down below, as I found out when linking up a spike trap to a lever.

There are pretty much no dwarves in this world. And this is a big problem, because there are PLENTY of kobolds and goblins. I've had to seal off the fort entirely and just pick up the corpses (from underneath) of any trade caravans, while my population is stuck at 18.

I've just dug down to the magma sea in order to get my steel production underway, because right now, I can't fight off kobold thieves. I need armor and weapons, and am relying on stonefall traps to tell me when I should have my atomsmasher running. Even so, it's been very tense.

Good thing there's plenty of water and food. But I really need to take the fight back to the surface!

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH YES! ONLY ONCE EVER 16 EMBARK SQUARES!
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
« Reply #3642 on: June 15, 2010, 05:12:45 pm »

My engraver, Atir Atolzulban, is strangely obsessed with clouds. Almost all the engravings he's done portray them.

EDIT: That, and historical human figures being struck down by historical tiger figures. It's unsettling, I tell you.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 05:15:34 pm by madk »

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: June 15, 2010, 06:58:01 pm »

I usually get stuff about humans taming giant eagles.
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3644 on: June 15, 2010, 07:46:05 pm »

My militia commander, Atis Valegirders, threw a tantrum and chopped off his dog's tail.  It's sad, but I couldn't stop laughing when it happened.
I have a feeling this is going to be in many, many engravings.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 07:48:05 pm by BodyGripper »
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 3842