Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6105043 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #3615 on: June 15, 2010, 07:33:53 am »

Well... god damn it. I've had a side project going on for a week or two now in which I built a 177x102x20 mold with which I was going to fill with 175x100x20 water, then freeze it, then carve out a majestic ice castle. I finished the massive mold (using 22320 rocks) last night, built the pump stack and turned on the power. Nothing happened.

Oh, what's that, Retro? You forgot that cold temperatures freeze machinery, and since your plans involved embarking on a glacier, you'll never get power? God damn it. There goes two weeks of work, and one hell of a lot of designating. All I need is power, but I'm utterly, utterly screwed.

...Hm. I wonder if dwarf-operated pumps still work when frozen. I could [SPEED:0][NOEXERT] everyone and manually power it... *runs off to DF*

Turn off temp in init and then turn it right back on....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: June 15, 2010, 07:46:52 am »

Turn off temp in init and then turn it right back on....

Turning off temperature doesn't make everything become temperate suddenly, it simply stops changes in temperature from affecting anything. So all the machinery high up enough to be affected by the cold remains and will remain frozen. Constructing new machinery doesn't work either.

I've found a really, really awkward workaround that is going to take quite some time. I suppose it's better than nothing, but it's certainly not enjoyable by a long shot.

grufti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: June 15, 2010, 07:56:48 am »

my entire fort collapsed and was swallowed by the ocean I built it over.

This is hilarious :D

The images in my head about a fort vanishing in the ocean, just great! and the face of the dwarf who had just removed the last floor tile. :D

What a pity I cannot paint anything except stickman  :-\

It's like a dwarven atlantis!

As noted in the Facepalm thread: Hail Atlantis!

(the screen cap is priceless)

Simply had to paint it (yeah I know, I'm no good at painting :) )

http://www.imagebanana.com/view/n5u5kiu/dwarvenAtlantis.JPG

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3618 on: June 15, 2010, 09:12:59 am »

I just started playing again after I stopped when the new version was released and I generated some crazy world with 8 continents on it, 2 have dwarf and elf access, 2 have human, goblin and dwarf access the rest are dwarf only.

EDIT: Strangely, it is named "The World of Griffons"

Dungeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: June 15, 2010, 09:18:50 am »

Well, 3 Sieges in, my fortress stands strong.

The second siege, complete Goblin anihilation. Not a loss of a Dwarf, or an animal. Caught lots of them, had some laughs. Went onto sole real project, IE, build Barracks.

Third Siege, didn't even wait a year. I'm not even sure it waited 6 months.

First attempt, had to be reverted due to Dwarf failure to understand the order of "No one go outside".

Second attempt, aside from the half wrestler squad strangely showing up on the fortification roof everything went better then hoped. I caught 58 Goblins. 54 if you count the 3 humans and 1 elite marks-elf as non-goblin.

Harvesting wood, as I am completely out. Building a new fortification, a much bigger and stronger one. And of course, more traps.

I'm also going to build a special room for the Goblins and see about a pump for watery execution's.

Its going to be a fun time soon.
I support the eating of Goblins to handle Dwarf food issues. Om nom nom nom, Goblin burgers.

Srial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: June 15, 2010, 10:41:13 am »

Spent about an hour last night rebuilding my military so my best Axedwarf would actually equip the artifact adamantite battle axe and artifact adamantite mail chain we made with the last two moods.   I had to start from scratch because he wouldn't pick up the artifacts no matter what I did.  After all was said and done my 10 axedwarves are back in service, training, and entirely equipped except for one steel helm I can't figure out why no one is touching, but it's one of my noobs anyway so I don't expect much for now.  I may rename him 'headtrauma' and be done with it.

I've survived another 3-4 ambushes without much damage, no sieges yet.  I'm toying with ideas for mega projects to use up all this stone.  I can't think of a good one yet.  I think my 'rain lava down on the world' project is too ambitious for me just now since I've never even built a working pump yet, much less this.   Maybe I'll start getting the lava up high enough for a moat to start.

I've seen two FB's, both inorganic, but since I've walled/roofed off all the sections of caverns I need for my farming needs and then some I really see no reason to open up just to get my butt handed to me by something unkillable. 

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: June 15, 2010, 10:44:50 am »

Turning off temperature doesn't make everything become temperate suddenly, it simply stops changes in temperature from affecting anything. So all the machinery high up enough to be affected by the cold remains and will remain frozen. Constructing new machinery doesn't work either.

I've found a really, really awkward workaround that is going to take quite some time. I suppose it's better than nothing, but it's certainly not enjoyable by a long shot.

Point taken. I realize it's not perfect, but:

1.) Does the old "melt the constructed ice wall" trick still work for creating water? You needed ice walls, lots of them (7 z levels), and magma, also lots.... As I recall, it was originally a screw the world/ self destruct device. You would pave the sky with ice to keep that pesky sun away and then pump magma on top of that. Turn on temp and watch the sky fall quite literally. It crashed the CPU while having Water, Magma and obsidian chunks falling from the sky. Quite Dwarven....

It was a major feat of awesome.

Note, I'm not sure if this works with the new version. Also, Magma is harder to get than before (more common because of magma seas but harder to pump because it's 100 z levels down!).

2.) It used to be that interior spaces weren't effected by temp, which is why inside dwarves didn't freeze to death most of the time. Is this still the case?

Enclose the pump stacks so they aren't exposed to temp?

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: June 15, 2010, 11:03:06 am »

my entire fort collapsed and was swallowed by the ocean I built it over.

This is hilarious :D

The images in my head about a fort vanishing in the ocean, just great! and the face of the dwarf who had just removed the last floor tile. :D

What a pity I cannot paint anything except stickman  :-\

It's like a dwarven atlantis!

As noted in the Facepalm thread: Hail Atlantis!

(the screen cap is priceless)

Donovan!
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: June 15, 2010, 11:29:54 am »

Point taken. I realize it's not perfect, but:

1.) Does the old "melt the constructed ice wall" trick still work for creating water? You needed ice walls, lots of them (7 z levels), and magma, also lots.... As I recall, it was originally a screw the world/ self destruct device. You would pave the sky with ice to keep that pesky sun away and then pump magma on top of that. Turn on temp and watch the sky fall quite literally. It crashed the CPU while having Water, Magma and obsidian chunks falling from the sky. Quite Dwarven....

It was a major feat of awesome.

Note, I'm not sure if this works with the new version. Also, Magma is harder to get than before (more common because of magma seas but harder to pump because it's 100 z levels down!).

2.) It used to be that interior spaces weren't effected by temp, which is why inside dwarves didn't freeze to death most of the time. Is this still the case?

Enclose the pump stacks so they aren't exposed to temp?

No, it's any non-subterranean space that outdoor temperatures affect, so enclosing the pump stack doesn't work. Also any regular method of individually building and then removing walls to try and create water both won't work and wouldn't help; I'm trying to fill a substantially large space. Building the mold took a few days on its own.

Right now I'm ignoring power and have [SPEED:0] and [NO_EXHAUST] on. Damn the rules. I want this basin full of water already.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: June 15, 2010, 12:17:15 pm »

New world is called:

Ate Cury.
The Planets of Enchanting.
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3625 on: June 15, 2010, 12:17:44 pm »

I just had an idea, but I don't know if it will work.

Do oceans freeze?
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: June 15, 2010, 12:26:02 pm »

No.
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: June 15, 2010, 01:01:01 pm »

No, it's any non-subterranean space that outdoor temperatures affect, so enclosing the pump stack doesn't work. Also any regular method of individually building and then removing walls to try and create water both won't work and wouldn't help; I'm trying to fill a substantially large space. Building the mold took a few days on its own.

Right now I'm ignoring power and have [SPEED:0] and [NO_EXHAUST] on. Damn the rules. I want this basin full of water already.

If only tweak worked to edit tiles to subterranean in a large scale. O well.

Best of luck.

Please don't quote me.

absynthe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: June 15, 2010, 01:38:08 pm »

One of my fisherdwarves was.. um... fishing... when a werewolf attacked him, ripped off both his arms, then pushed him into the pond (okay, he probably dodged into it, but still). He managed to recover after I channeled a ramp for him to crawl out of, but now I have an armless dwarf who can no longer grasp items. I removed all his labors just to cut down on the TOO INJURED announcement spam.

I might name him "Stumpy", I think.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: June 15, 2010, 01:42:00 pm »

Soakedboards' previously mentioned booze shortage problem might be getting serious (stocks dropped by over 1k from 2800 units to 1700 in 2 seasons due to a lack of barrels, wood and a series of massive immigration waves and baby booms) - my dwarven liasion decided to put himself on the end of a few gobbo spears. "trade with the humans" you say? well, after right royally pissing off the elves to make some wooden barrels to fill with sunshine, they decide not to send a caravan and instead show up with swordsmen. they prove to be good target practice (heck even the elven siege was tougher), which whilst fun (enjoyable, not FUN!) wasnt as useful as a couple o' dozen barrels of sewer brew. so - time to erect a new signpost - welcome to soakedboards, the juche self reliant dwarven metropolis - bring a bottle...
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 3842