Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6105210 times)

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #3585 on: June 14, 2010, 09:38:18 am »

a dead E just appeared on a stonefall trap. He was carrying a crucible steel short sword.

I suspect Ambush!
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Turambar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: June 14, 2010, 09:54:18 am »

last fort crashed, so I started a new one!

Had fun breaching the aquifer.  I didn't have any good way to do it, so I made a big staircase down to the first cavern, then dug into the aquifer at the top of the case.  Then I had to un-suspend all the wall construction projects until I had a watertight set of walls.

Apparently I started off with a forgotten beast because flooding the cavern kept making it enraged.  Also, Olm-people, one of whom is now attached to her spear.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3587 on: June 14, 2010, 09:59:57 am »

Hmm. Apparently two elven corpses were on my drawbridge when I raised it. They are now on my roof. One in two pieces.

I'm guessing that is also why that one guys left and right arms ended up eight squares apart.

Srial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3588 on: June 14, 2010, 11:47:26 am »

The yearly elven caravan arrived and 1.5 seconds later a goblin ambush appeared and wiped them out before my axedwarves could get to them.   I sent my 10 axedwarves around to clear out the remaining ambushers laying in wait.  One of them sadly fell when he ran off by himself and tried to take on an ambush alone.  I'm still not sure how the goblins (led by an elf, the irony) got through his steel armor.

On one hand I was dissapointed I couldn't trade away some of the junk armor/weapons I'm collecting.  On the other hand, free stuff from their corpses.  We're hauling it all in now.

I had my armorsmith get a fey mood and he turned out a suit of adamantite chain mail I can't wait to try out.  I just can't make anyone wear it for some reason.  I think because my axedwarf needs to be legendary to wear an artifact?  It's not an equipment problem I can pretty easily make him drop/pick up/wear any other set of armor, just not the artifact.  I'll try again once he hits legendary, he's high master now so it should be soon.

Lastly I'm spending a lot of my time pouring over the wiki for information on screw pumps and more improtantly how power works.  I think it's time I create my first device to draw magma up from the depths and rain it down on those who oppose me above ground.  I just have to figure out a good means of dispersing it once I get it up to the surface.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3589 on: June 14, 2010, 01:17:13 pm »

I set up some pumps to irrigate my tower cap farm from my aquifer. Now I have 4/7 water over the whole room, and it's slowly flooding. Oops. By deconstructing the pumps, I can get some of the water to drain back into the aquifer, but I didn't think to prevent it from flooding the rest of my fort. Hopefully I won't get enough water slipping out to cause severe flooding.

I have way too many haulers. Even drafting a lot of them, when I have neither the resources nor time to kit them out, only partially helped. I can't remember how I used to deal with this, except to have them clear all the excess stone from my fort.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3590 on: June 14, 2010, 02:58:55 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
MUAHAHAHAHA! I REIGN SUPREME!
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3591 on: June 14, 2010, 03:08:34 pm »

Hmm... My civ list says that the Gobbos have moved in (do they not exist when you first embark, or can you just not see them?). I'm yet to get seiged though, and I'm more than ready for it. I'm bored... maybe I'll have to make my own excitement...

EDIT:

It appears that I can order my military to attack the elf caravan that just showed up... Hurrmmm...
More fun than just deconstructing the depot.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 03:10:56 pm by Schilcote »
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3592 on: June 14, 2010, 03:12:14 pm »

Well usually the goblins show up during the second year and attack when human caravan comes.

Although I'm on like my 3rd year and I just got goblins in spring so I should see them soon.
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3593 on: June 14, 2010, 03:15:32 pm »

Hmm... Nothing but bins of cloth again? You should know better, Mr Inifa. Mwahahaha. Mwahahaha! MUAHAHAHAHAHAhahaha.

Actually, I prefer the quiet, menacing chuckle. Hehhehheh. Mehhehhehhehheh. Hehhehheh.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3594 on: June 14, 2010, 03:28:00 pm »

In the latest news on my fort, I got a Trade Depot set up in a 6x6 room alongside my main entrance, and is connected to a hallway by a small 1 tile wide hallway. The entrance to the depot area is 3x3, and will be guarded by Floodgates once I get them set up, which will be able to be raised by a lever in my main hallway. Similarly, I'm using Copper Vertical Bars in place of an actual gate for my main entrance. Again, they will be able to be raised by a lever in the main hallway, and I'll have Marksdwarves stationed at the bars just in case at all times.

I've also built a bridge over the brook just outside my entrance, and channeled off the area between the bridge and my fortress walls. While it's still undefended now, I'm planning to probably keep guards stationed on it at all times once I get the manpower.

And finally, I'm still debating what to do with the giant magma pipe sitting in the middle of my fort. I'm thinking either a 'screw the world' device that'll set everything on fire a la Boatmurdered, or maybe just a simple magma moat surrounding my fortress.
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3595 on: June 14, 2010, 03:40:22 pm »

Been a year and a half now.
Since my last migrant wave.
DAMMIT. 22 people.
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

Terisuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: June 14, 2010, 06:23:13 pm »

After yesterday's successful forgotten beast hat trick, I decided to clear out cavern two of its menagerie - only two FB's in the second level, which was nice.  This time, I was expecting the multiple aggro and had five butchers prebuilt and standing by just outside of the battle ground I'd prepared.  The first beast (A giant wolf with external ribs and a shell or somesuch) went down pretty easily, and the second beast aggro'd just like I expected it to.  It just took forever to die because I've got seven combat pages of "The Axedwarf hits the shell with his Adamantine Battle Axe, fracturing it!" until someone (thank you, militia commander Dishmab) thought to aim for the head. 

Now I'm churning out golden statues, since I really, really, really want a statue of my militia commander decapitating a FB with an artifact axe - my blacksmith, sadly, seems to be on a roll telling everyone about how my expedition leader got chucked out of office with a dejected look on his face.  My blacksmith is a dick. 

EDIT: Oh, score, butchering the beasts gave me around 250 units of shell.  No more berserk mooding dwarves! 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 06:29:39 pm by Terisuke »

Dungeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3597 on: June 14, 2010, 06:52:40 pm »

So, yesterday, the Goblin's tried their second Siege on me in the Land of Sorrows. I really..REALLY need to learn the name of that Fort.

Anyway. They had caught me off guard again, sorta. As I had yet to build my barracks and had spent a majority of my time building alot of projects. Including a Microcline everything for my DungeonMaster, and everything for my Mayor except a tomb. And the means to make future tombs for my Mayor and other nobles that may show up. Or deserving Dwarves.

So, Immediatly the camera panned on the one Siege squad. And that's what I thought I was up against. A Goblin Elite Sword Master, Axe Goblins, and Goblin Wrestlers. Dangerous, sure. But, I had beefed up my traps. Everyone was ordered inside except soldiers. And I immediatly positioned my three military squads. The two unarmed squads were at the final entrances inside as a last line of defense. The one with the meeting area and the Wardogs would be absolutly fine. I was more concerned of the other one. But, doubted that they would get through the traps. Even with their high numbers.

I ordered my Bow-Dwarfs to the fortification in the middle which is right between both entrances and ontop the execution grounds, which had caged Goblins from the first Siege walled in and waiting for the Water to thaw. I figured this was going to be a nice shooting gallery/cage-a-thon

Then..I saw the second goblin squad. They were Spear Goblins lead by an Elite Marks-Goblin. This, made me panic. As I KNEW he would cause a shitton of damage to my untrained Bow-Dwarfs. I canceled them going outside, and moved them to the other squad for the other entrance and decided to rely on my traps. Well, the idiot was the first one of them cage trapped. Along with 95-98% of his squad, so was the Elite Sword-Goblin. I immediatly ordered my Bow-Dwarfs back to the fortification, and what ensued was arrowy goblin death.

Out of 28 Goblins, those that didn't end up caged, ended up as Pin-Cushion's. Except the 2 that ran away. And they are now all awaiting the same execution as the first Sieges captives. Something tells me that they were coming to save their brothers. And they were REALLY pissed off.

Funny thing, I didn't lose a single Dwarf, or animal this time. And even funnier was the battle itself. Cause my Dwarves are mostly cave adapted. So they were kicking the goblins ass's, vomiting all over the place. And at one point when there was only 3 left, and the one was running away, and the other two were bleeding out. A Marks-Dwarf gave birth, and the baby fell to the ground below.

The Goblin TRIED to attack the baby, and suddenly wooden arrows/bolts started hitting it faster and more frequently. And my other team ran out, grabbed it and punched it just in time for it to die.

I've further beefed up my defenses since. While working on the barracks.
I support the eating of Goblins to handle Dwarf food issues. Om nom nom nom, Goblin burgers.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3598 on: June 14, 2010, 07:28:51 pm »

Well my fort was actually being harassed by buzzards. They kept stealing food from my exposed stockpile. I was building a wall and roof to keep them out, when a building accident caused my entire fort to plummet into the ocean. In one second all my work was destroyed.

So right now I'm just waiting for my new world to finish generating. The bright side is now I can embark with the octopus pets I modded in.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3599 on: June 14, 2010, 09:17:16 pm »

Spoiler: Got an artifact (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 3842