Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6105324 times)

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #3570 on: June 14, 2010, 01:36:32 am »

My three soldiers have been training for half a year now, even though they have no weapons, no armor, and are currently working on wrestling in individual drills... buck naked. Since they were assigned armor and I don't have any made, they're putting on a great demonstration. But at least they're gaining basic fighting skill, that's gotta be useful, right?

Not really. I've found that wrestling has been quite reduced in effectiveness since 40d. You can't have a squad of just wrestlers and expect to accomplish much, even against wildlife - you need at least one dwarf with a weapon to deliver killing blows while the wrestlers hold the enemy down. I had a fort a while back where the military refused to pick up any weapons they were assigned (except for crossbows, frustratingly enough - they'd use them as clubs) but fortunately I'd recruited a couple of excess miners and they kept their picks. No matter how epic the wrestlers got, it was the miners that always finished off the Forgotten Beasts and Elkbirds after they'd dogpiled them into submission.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: June 14, 2010, 01:48:15 am »

The fun part was champion wrestlers could Hulkpunch through a goblin's shield, platemail and right through his heart. THAT was fun.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: June 14, 2010, 02:03:19 am »

Game crashes everytime I access the military screen : (

Also, more puppys then 5 butchers can slaughter, I am considering to just puppy bomb the next invasion away.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #3573 on: June 14, 2010, 02:13:47 am »

So I got a siege.

Great.  Just another day at the office.

I unpause the game and go AFK.

I come back an hour la-- OH MY GOD BLOOD FUCKING BLOOD EVERYWHERE HOLY CRAP

It turns out that the siegers ran into the human caravan that had just arrived and a fierce bloody battle had ensued.  Then the resident champions had come out of their barracks for a stroll and massacred the rest of them or almost.  There are body parts scattered all over the place and I'm still looking for the damn gobbo that's somewhere and keeping this siege tag on.

Terisuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: June 14, 2010, 05:00:48 am »

Gobbos were late with Siegemas presents, so I ran into the caverns to take out a forgotten beast.

Or two.

Or three.  Turns out they aggro easily.

Not that my adamantine death squad wasn't up to it, we came out without an injury and they were all organics, but I'm sad that I was only able to butcher one corpse before everything rotted.  I built FIVE butcher shops, but the beasts were just too big to deal with in time. 

Also, apparently if you've got a mooding dwarf who needs shell, the shell from a forgotten beast doesn't cut it.  Had to dispatch the squad again after a berserk clothier.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3575 on: June 14, 2010, 05:53:10 am »

I just had a human caravan enter a map with a full three squad goblin ambush underway, still sitting on the bones of the elven caravan they had just butchered - my meals are that good they don't seem to mind losing about 80% of those sent to trade for them.

The goblins reached them and started fighting the soldiers, who took out most of them with ease. Unfortunately the merchants weren't all that sensible and managed to run wildly around, setting off another four ambushes, including one of goblin archers. Pretty soon all the humans had left the map (the only swordsman, who killed four goblins alongside a hammerman, decided to leave as soon as no-one was fighting him) or were lying in pools of their own blood, mixed with that of the goblins they had taken with them.

Except for one pikeman who had seemingly fled when his left fingers were cut off. A few goblins chased him down and actually caught him. He killed them. In the slow, drawn out manner of pikemen in this version. He then turned back and started working through the remaining goblins. Slowly.

He picked up a heavy bleeding wound and had red wounds all down his left arm and right leg. Then a goblin spearman got a lucky shot on his lungs before passing out. He finished off the last few and then, trailing blood, wandered off the map to die.

Worst thing is now I have to wait till next year to dump all these worthless wooden crafts and weapons that ambushed elven caravan left me with.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: June 14, 2010, 06:30:22 am »

My armorer wants logs, BODY PARTS, and ROCK BARS.

And he's my only metalworker.

ASLJFNSFLDKFGLKDJTGLKDHUGILURHGKDJFHg
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: June 14, 2010, 06:32:54 am »

I don't remember... the solution was making rock blocks or metal bars?

Anyway, it's pretty easy. Make a smelter, give a dwarf furnace operator job and smelt some metal, duh.

Body parts - either shells or bones.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: June 14, 2010, 06:53:45 am »

Anyway, it's pretty easy. Make a smelter, give a dwarf furnace operator job and smelt some metal, duh.

Huh... I just bought some magnetite bars off the caravan. Caravan FTW.
Bones should be easy to get, I have a bunch of axedwarves just itching to try out their shiny new toys...
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: June 14, 2010, 07:12:27 am »

More likely shells than bones.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: June 14, 2010, 07:22:40 am »

Went nuts before I could figure out the military. Managed to figure it out in time to kill 'im though. Now I know that my military force is capable of destroying one unarmed unarmored dwarf. Yay?

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: June 14, 2010, 07:23:34 am »

Bookkeeper: We're almost out of booze!
Me: No problem, we'll just buy a bunch from the caravan to tide us over until we can get more barrels made.
Broker: Done!

~~A Vile Force of Darkness Has Arrived~~

Me: Everyone inside! Raise the drawbridge!
Bookkeeper: But, the booze?!
Me: We'll get it after we've dealt with the siege.

~~A Black Bear Has Stolen Some Dwarven Wine~~

Dwarves: Nooo!

~~A Black Bear Has Stolen Some Dwarven Rum~~
~~A Black Bear Has Stolen Some Dwarven Beer~~
~~A Black Bear Has Stolen Some Dwarven Ale~~

Me: Open the floodgates, start building wells, we need something to drink.

~~Urist McBrewer cancels job: Brew Alcohol. Needs empty barrel.~~
~~Urist McMiner has become melancholy~~
~~Urist McFarmer has withdrawn from society~~
~~Urist McMason has become enraged~~
~~Urist McMechanic cancels job: Build Well. Interrupted by Urist McMason.~~

Me: Oh hell...

~~Urist McBrewer has died of thirst.~~
~~Urist McMiner has died of thirst.~~
~~Urist McFarmer has died of thirst.~~
~~Urist McMason has died of thirst.~~
~~Urist McMechanic has bled to death.~~

Me: Sod it all.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3582 on: June 14, 2010, 07:41:25 am »

I really wish people would stop saying this. Rock bars are not guarnteed to be metal bars, and I know this from experience.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: June 14, 2010, 07:47:43 am »

And now my medidwarf made a platinum scepter.

Native platinum. Better than nothing I guess. Better than him dying.

Probably has something to do with all the dirt I've been digging for busywork.

Limausen, Healthhelpful, is worth 109,200. Dang. Sort of ironic that the chief medical dwarf made a scepter called healthhelpful though, it should have magical healing powers.

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: June 14, 2010, 08:12:40 am »

I recently embarked on a new 40d fortress (with the added challenge of turning off migrants and leaving babies on) and my embark site is just glorious. Basically, my fortress area is located a bit north of the southeast edge of the map, on the northern edge of a mountain. A few tiles away from my northern entrance is a small brook for easily accessible water. And a bit south is a magma pipe in a very beautiful position, allowing me to basically put it in the center of my fort. It's already autumn of the first year, but I've already gotten magma smelters and forges up, and thanks to the fact I've already struck native aluminum and native copper means I can get some military gear up pretty fast. There's also plenty of flux everywhere so making Steel when the time comes won't be too hard.

The only real problem is the fact that the entire area around the mountain is composed of basalt, and the nearest trees and soil are a good 50-75 tiles away. However, to help subvert some of the dangers, I decided to use a tunnel system. I have a tunnel 3 Z levels (as to avoid the brook) deep running straight north into the red sand I'm using for farming. Once the tunnel gets directly below the sand, a stairwell leads up into a small nook thats 1z level below the surface and 1z level above the tunnel, making it impossible to enter except from inside my fortress. I have a similar tunnel system leading to the surface near a patch of trees about 100 tiles northwest of my fort so my woodcutter can get there in relative safety.
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 3842