Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6105328 times)

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #3555 on: June 13, 2010, 07:14:30 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: June 13, 2010, 07:24:31 pm »

We killed the forgotten beast, but the wielder of my artifact lead mace lost his mace hand.  What will I do with a captain of the guard who can only hold a shield?

Also, I've had about 6 posessions in a row, and no other type of mood.  what gives?
Dwarves are ambidextrous. Take his shield away and he should be able to fight.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Turambar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3557 on: June 13, 2010, 07:28:19 pm »

We killed the forgotten beast, but the wielder of my artifact lead mace lost his mace hand.  What will I do with a captain of the guard who can only hold a shield?

Also, I've had about 6 posessions in a row, and no other type of mood.  what gives?
Dwarves are ambidextrous. Take his shield away and he should be able to fight.

I dunno.  I think i'll keep Urist McNubhand.  Last time someone failed a mandate, she fucking straight-up killed him with a shot from that mace.  I gave the mace to my militia commander and we'll see if the next victim of dwarven justice gets the nub.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3558 on: June 13, 2010, 07:29:23 pm »

I've lost more dwarves to strange moods in this fort than across my entire DF play time. I always get the things they need to late to save them.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: June 13, 2010, 07:33:05 pm »

Damnit. The Elves just brought me a Giant Desert Scorpion, but I don't have enough goods to trade for it. I hope they bring one by next year.

Seize it. It will piss off the elves, but it takes more than some government sponsored theft to incite war. If that offends your sensibilities, way overpay them next year. They'll forgive you, promise.

My three soldiers have been training for half a year now, even though they have no weapons, no armor, and are currently working on wrestling in individual drills... buck naked. Since they were assigned armor and I don't have any made, they're putting on a great demonstration. But at least they're gaining basic fighting skill, that's gotta be useful, right? Oh yea, I disbanded their squad a season prior, damn bug.

I'm working on getting some steel manufacturing up for both trade goods and gear. Meanwhile, my attempt to make farming more difficult backfired. I'm now almost out of food, but I have puppies and kittens and a mound of unprocessed sweet pods and quarry bushes. I very well may have to reduce the number of seasons I farm my 16 square plot, food is ridiculously easy in DF.
yea seize it.  a couple forts ago I wanted to antagonize the elves into going to war and, yea I know just try to trade them some bins, but I was in no hurry so I just siezed their entire caravan once. Nothing happened.  2 more completely seized caravans later still no attacks.

in short, elves are pussies.

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
« Reply #3560 on: June 13, 2010, 08:00:11 pm »

I was destroying my fortress as means of entertainment, and wondering why so few of my 6 remaining dwarves were actually working. After investigation, I feel a twinge of genuine guilt.

Rovod has been bed-ridden for half a year now recovering from injuries, and his son Domas has been waiting on him hand and foot the entire time. The poor boy hardly knows what's going on around him. I realized this shortly after I diverted a couple lakes to flood the apartments there.

This guy has been going on and off insane for almost a year now, and has been constantly complaining of bodily needs. He has access to the upper levels from here, which is part mine, part pit under my drawbridge, (as you can see, I made sure some creatures were on the bridge before I retracted it once or more times) Until I looked, I couldn't tell what was up. It seems that the poor guy survived the fall without sustaining mortal injury, but he didn't avoid being completely crippled.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: June 13, 2010, 08:13:03 pm »

What I love most about DF is the fact that a few little characters can transform into a mighty story.
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3562 on: June 13, 2010, 08:29:01 pm »

A goblin is running off with a child.  I noticed when my woodcutter spots the goblin.  The goblin promptly stabs the woodcutter's baby in it's upper spine, shattering it and likely crippling the poor thing for life, then stuffs it in his bag and makes for the map edge.

I have no hope of intercepting the goblin, and looking at the baby's profile screen she is fine about sustaining major injuries lately and being confined, because she likes the waterfall that splashes it's way through the whole fortress.

Welp, guess she'll have to get used to a goblin wheelchair and never seeing the waterfall again.  I think I'll note down the goblin civ and try to rescue her with an adventurer whenever this fortress crumbles.

AND THE MOM COULDN'T CARE LESS.  There's not even a thought acknowledging the kidnapped baby.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 08:34:11 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3563 on: June 13, 2010, 08:29:23 pm »

Okay, I just had two ambushes show up (my Fortress has 19 dwarves! What is up with this crap?). The first one was resolved with only one casualty, but that was mostly due to the humans who had just arrived disposing of them.

The second one is still a problem. Oddly, it seems to be led by a human crossbowmen. I guess he must have been kidnapped by goblins as a child. I'm not sure if I can actually kill him though, since this is a large ambush. I'll probably try to wall them off somehow. Also it almost looks like they walked out of the ocean itself due to their positioning during the ambush alert. Now I have a mental image of a human and 5 goblins slowly creeping through the waves, approaching and absent minded farmer, and preparing to pump him full of crossbow bolts.

EDIT: 3 ambushes
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 08:34:28 pm by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: June 13, 2010, 09:23:33 pm »

I've found a STUPENDOUS embark site. The basic layout is as follows:

It's located on the northern end of a volcano island. I embarked on the beach, if you could call it that. It's actually one long cliff, about 1-z high. My embark point is hemmed in on 3 sides (south, east, west) by a 9-z level cliff, with a mesa at the top that has fertile soil, trees, and shrubs. Wild horses roam the beach and mesa. On the eastern and western edges of the map are 2 small mesas, flanking the large one. Behind (south of) the main mesa is another impressive cliff, rising a full 20-z levels above the beach below.

Here's a rough outline:

Code: [Select]
~~~~~~~~~
.n./=\.n.
|||||||||

Legend-
~ - Water/beach
. - Beach level
n - Small Mesa
/ | \ - Stupidly Vertical Cliffs
= - Big Mesa (I embarked just to the north of it, on the beach level)

I have plans, this will be EPIC. I just hope pumping water still desalinates it...

EDIT: Stupid Stonesense isn't working! Bah! Oh well, my plans for a fortress carved entirely out of solid rock, opened to the world, continue!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 09:35:50 pm by Snook »
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3565 on: June 13, 2010, 09:49:45 pm »

I've found a STUPENDOUS embark site. The basic layout is as follows:

It's located on the northern end of a volcano island. I embarked on the beach, if you could call it that. It's actually one long cliff, about 1-z high. My embark point is hemmed in on 3 sides (south, east, west) by a 9-z level cliff, with a mesa at the top that has fertile soil, trees, and shrubs. Wild horses roam the beach and mesa. On the eastern and western edges of the map are 2 small mesas, flanking the large one. Behind (south of) the main mesa is another impressive cliff, rising a full 20-z levels above the beach below.

Here's a rough outline:

Code: [Select]
~~~~~~~~~
.n./=\.n.
|||||||||

Legend-
~ - Water/beach
. - Beach level
n - Small Mesa
/ | \ - Stupidly Vertical Cliffs
= - Big Mesa (I embarked just to the north of it, on the beach level)

I have plans, this will be EPIC. I just hope pumping water still desalinates it...

EDIT: Stupid Stonesense isn't working! Bah! Oh well, my plans for a fortress carved entirely out of solid rock, opened to the world, continue!

Hey, can you do me a favor? Try building a well over salt water when you have the spare resources. According to the wiki this should no desalinate water, but in my last fortress it did for some reason. I'm going to try doing the same in my new fortress, but I'd like to se eif the same holds true in other people's games. Of course feel free to not do so, since you're just wasting time and items for my benefit.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
« Reply #3566 on: June 13, 2010, 09:55:48 pm »

So I started a new fortress, and I'm all happy with my area. There are a few groundhogs around giving me a scare with their g's as I'm trying to readjust to the ASCII graphics for a change. But other than that, the resources are plentiful and good and my dwarves are pretty happy.

Then the pack of wolves arrived.

They haven't managed any real damage yet, but they're running amok nipping all my dwarves in the trousers and genreally interruping their work schedules and trains of thought. (If such simple and fragile mechanisms might be so called!) It's not that I hadn't laid out a handful of traps, oh no, but they overwhelmed my entrance with sheer numbers. My expedition leader is scrambling to reload the traps before even more wolves can get in and I'm trying to get my kennel to stop screwing up so I can tame them proper.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 09:57:24 pm by madk »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: June 13, 2010, 10:02:30 pm »

I had a mayor that mandated the construction of amulets.  I liked him, amulets are exported all the time anyway.  So I was always making them.  Then he forbid the export of them.  Making me consider sending him to his death.  Fortunately a new mayor was elected before I finalized my decision, so it worked out.

Unfortunately this new mayor has been demanding I make slade items.  At that point I don't care, I have 120 residents, 70 of them are idlers 24/7, and half of what's left are easily replaced.  My jail is also practically chain link heaven. I don't care if he chains folks up now.  Shortly after mandating slade a few times he mandates olm bone items. 

I think my new mayor is trying to get me to kill him, but I'll just keep him alive.  If he wants to die, and is using ridiculous mandates to do it, I'll just punish him by keeping him alive and "happy".  Not like I'll have to worry about a hammerer if the game continues to refuse to let me appoint a baron after all.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3568 on: June 13, 2010, 10:07:38 pm »

They haven't managed any real damage yet, but they're running amok nipping all my dwarves in the trousers and genreally interruping their work schedules and trains of thought. (If such simple and fragile mechanisms might be so called!)

The dwarven train of thought is more accurately described as two magnets hovering over each other with playing cards keeping them in place.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3569 on: June 13, 2010, 10:10:08 pm »

DIE DIE DIE!
I'm throwing all those annoying creatures I caught in traps into magma!
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 3842