Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6105451 times)

Dungeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #3525 on: June 12, 2010, 10:19:55 pm »

In the land of Sorrows I'm working on constructing my Prison, Microcline Mayor's office, Microcline Warden's office (Whatever he's called), the Bedrooms for my dwarves. Mining Silver which I accidentally discovered while building underground resevoir's, of course, building more underground resevoir's while the water is frozen to take advantage of the situation. Setting up for a dining hall, and barracks while choosing which ones of my Dwarves will be my physical Wrestler/Axe/Hammer unit. And making more cage traps to be placed outside in preperation for more Goblin ambush's in the future. Since the first ambush was nailed by a Cage trap, and sumarily destroyed by my bow-dwarfs with the only survivor awaiting execution by drowning.

And trying to figure out why my military bow-dwarf's keep trying to shoot the archery range through the cieling instead of going to the room on the floor above. Which results in them canceling their training.

So far though its been a rather quiet fortress, I've only lost a Dwarf to insanity/berserkness because I couldnt get him some material he wanted. And my Wardogs ripped him apart. Nobody cared too, since he was a new Migrant. And the only odd thing was someone lost a baby to a Snatcher, and I cant figure out how. Unless she was outside when it happened.

I support the eating of Goblins to handle Dwarf food issues. Om nom nom nom, Goblin burgers.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3526 on: June 12, 2010, 10:53:51 pm »

To my surprise, my fortress actually made a full recovery from the booze drought. Work has resumed as normal and the only recent death was a forgemaster that died of thirst. It was only because he went insane though due to a lack of rock bars (still can't figure out what these are). I believe he tried to fling himself into the ocean, only to find that it froze moments before he could do so. So he just wandered around the fortress entrance for a few days before dying.

Right now I'm just trying to bring my workshops inside before I turn migration back on. If I got any type of attacks beyond thieves right now my fort would perish due to most of my work having to take place outside.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Geocat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3527 on: June 12, 2010, 11:09:28 pm »

year 5 of my current fort, My Mayor who has been in office the entire time just lost an election for the first time. Then went and committed suicide. No one cared enough to throw a single tantrum. Don't know how he pissed everyone off so much lol. Right now I'm holding mass executions from my Microcline tower, 12 story drop onto wooden spikes, never gets olds. had a bit of a snafu when a goblin master theif was able to slip out of his captors grasp and bolt for the exit, getting caught by cage traps, again. Gonna have to find a more creative way of execution for this one.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 12:24:18 am by Geocat »

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3528 on: June 13, 2010, 12:16:09 am »

Well so much for things going well in my fort. Things are slowly starting to fall apart as I lose dwarves to various events. I just lost my crafter because he couldn't get shells to complete his project. I'm on an ocean biome, yet I can't find a single creature with shells. On top of that, Kobold thieves keep throwing themselves into my fortress, though this isn't so much of a problem as it is an annoyance since they either run away or get cut to bits.\

EDIT: Wonderful. An ambush. I thought my Fortress was small enough to avoid these these but apparently not. 3 more dwarves gone. I'm starting to wonder if I should just abandon at this point, but that feels like the cowards way out. I'm determined to make this fort work still.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 12:36:20 am by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3529 on: June 13, 2010, 01:00:33 am »

Having just repelled my first siege at the cost of what remained of my military (half of it having been destroyed to a giant eyeless stegasauroid), I'm finally getting around to building a larger apartment to house my huge population, 117 at the moment according to Dwarf Therapist. The ground outside the fortress is a massive area strewn with blood and body parts. The goblin siege was entirely archers with a single spearman leading them, and their arrows punched enough holes in my dwarves, even through their steel armor, that while only two died in melee combat, three more bled to death shortly thereafter.

I'm thinking I need to get some hospitals built.
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3530 on: June 13, 2010, 01:43:05 am »

I have a particularly determined black bear trying to guzzle the various wines and beers the elven traders brought with them. This would not be too much of a problem for me(I have no non-wooden things to trade) were it not for the fact that I built my depot right in front of my main hut that I built for everyone to live in(though luckily for me the bear seems to constantly run back and forth between the depot and an old bridge, thus the bear only causes some job cancellations). I tried to get rid of the bear by deconstructing my depot to try and get the elves to leave, hoping that the bear would leave too. That failed, and instead I was left with the elves staying and their goods spilling on the ground. Not wanting to sacrifice my woodcutters in an attempt to get rid the thing, I instead opted to steal and release the tame caged wolf the elves brought with them in the hopes that it might wound the bear enough to make it bleed to death or at least leave the map. However, when my workers finally got around to getting it out of the cage I noticed that it was in another cage. Slightly annoyed, I built the second cage and released the wolf again, only for it to be in another cage. So I build that cage and wait again for it to be released from the cage, only for it to be in ANOTHER cage! Now I am waiting for the next accursed cage to be built so I can release the wolf from that one while the bear still is causing problems.

EDIT: The wolf is in yet another cage and the black bear just killed a pet dog.

EDIT2: Now I am getting spammed with messages that say: Yarare imimipar, Glassmaker cancels Release Large Creature: Need empty cage. What is going on here?

I'm guessing you placed his cage as a building, and are now setting the building to hold no one.
This makes the dwarves free up the building by putting the creature into a new cage (item).
I had this problem too. So I build their cages next to ropes so that when I set them to go to rope, no one gets hurt.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Terisuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3531 on: June 13, 2010, 03:45:01 am »

Just repelled siege two for this fort - one band of pikemen, two of crossbowmen, all mounted, and they brought their trolls.  Retracted the correct bridges, and watched them high-center their mounts on my forest of gigantic spinning serrated blades.  Those that made it through the blender crawled, beaten and bloody, to the entrance of my fort - where my magnificent seven squad of axedwarves made mince of them.  I've got about 14 prisoners that will be doled out as practice for my military over the coming month. 

Two rats and a troll got tossed into my lake and are paddling around, unable to escape - I figure I'll leave them be, since the freeze happens at the end of the month, and that should sort them out without me doing anything. 

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3532 on: June 13, 2010, 08:48:47 am »

It turns out that the Astro-Dwarf who died saving my fortress from the undying steam beast was married. I found a pile of clothes from a hauler next to his impact point in the earth. Hoping to get her to clear the clothes away I assigned her a bedroom with cabinet and coffer (most of my dwarfs sleep in the legendary dorm and only get bedrooms after they strew clothes about). Upon assigning her to the bedroom I noticed that it was now owned by both her and the deceased Astro-Dwarf. Apparently she rent her garments by his body in grief after his heroic death.

That made me a little sad.

A month later she gave birth to their child. So she was pregnant during the assault of Dema the Ocean Titan.

No wonder he was determined to save the day.

This game is awesome.
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3533 on: June 13, 2010, 09:08:23 am »

Now I lost another mason to a strange mood. He went insane due to a lack of plant cloth......which I now have. I also now have a mountain of shells. I have a bad habit of acquiring the items my dwarves need a few days after they've killed themselves/been diced by the military.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

Dungeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3534 on: June 13, 2010, 11:32:23 am »

Okay, now, I'm mad. So, in my fortress in the land of Sorrows. The surprisingly easy one. Shit finally hit the fan.

First, my Armor-smith, a thankfully useless one hit a strange mood, withdrew from society. And was gonna build a fantastic mysterious construction given the amount of crap he needed. But, since I couldn't get cloth no matter what I flipping did. He was destined to go insane.

Skipping right along. This fort has suffered 2 Goblin ambush's, big deal right?. The first one fail bombed on them. My cage traps caught one of them which detected them, my bow-dwarfs shot the rest full of holes. The second ambush was more successful. They killed a Bow-Dwarf because his squad leader was taking a nap in the dirt. Beat the poor guy to death even.

But, I got most of them caged. The rest ran off, and I placed the rest out on ice and let the ice thaw and sent them to a watery depth along with some of their pedo buddies. Amazingly, its been half a year almost, and 2 of them have not drowned. I guess those cages are water tight. Or their goblins can really hold their breath.

But, 2 ambush's in, and I already got my first siege.

Took me by surprise, as I haven't gotten the training in that I wanted for my military. Or the armor forged. Hell, I haven't even gotten the final squad designs yet when I have so many damned projects and a potentiol cranky Dungeonmaster on hand.

So, everyone in. Only soldiers can go out. Clean as a whistle right?, wrong. Animals dont understand the meaning of "STAY INSIDE". So, the Goblins go on a cat and puppy killing rampage. Ocasionally stumbling into my traps and letting their numbers dwindle. And when I unlock my door, go down my massive trap infested hallway.

Long story short. One got in, he got ripped apart by Wardog's. 2 ran off ending the siege. The rest are in cages awaiting their cold dip execution. They exposed a glaring weakness I overlooked in my base. I lost ALOT of animals which are easily replaced. But the REAL damage was caused AFTER the siege.

Cause a Dwarf of course had a tantrum over her pet, calmed down, and magically went berserk, ripped the head off her baby. Killed the Lye maker, and beat the tar out of the glass maker. And the Armor-smith went berserk, and must have severed the windpipe of the one bow-dwarf that was there to take him down in that case. And killed him. The fort had miasma from the rotting goblin parts that the dwarve's refused to remove. And a tantrum spiral began.

Had to revert the save. Same two dwarve's went stark raving mad this time, and I've locked them in rooms this time through sheer luck. And thankfully, kept other damages to a minimum while cleanup occurs.

But THIS time, I'm putting Cage traps EVERYWHERE. Those goblins wont be able to get ANYWHERE near my fort entrances without getting trapped.  >:(
I support the eating of Goblins to handle Dwarf food issues. Om nom nom nom, Goblin burgers.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #3535 on: June 13, 2010, 12:02:56 pm »

Okay, now, I'm mad.

Mad(ness)?

THIS

IS

DWARF FORTRESS!!!
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Dungeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3536 on: June 13, 2010, 12:15:59 pm »

Okay, now, I'm mad.

Mad(ness)?

THIS

IS

DWARF FORTRESS!!!

Dungeon's cancels actions: Punted into pit of death

Dungeon explodes upon falling 100 Z-levels onto an Admantine spire, gore and vomit splash's everywhere.

Well, son of a bitch...

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3537 on: June 13, 2010, 12:41:54 pm »

Another ambush. This time 6 goblins showed up, but they all ran away after killing two stray puppies. Apparently the sight of my Axelord saughtering two of their friends was terrifying.

It's a damn good thing to, since they could have been a game ender if they had decided to charge in. My military currently consists of only 3 dwarves. I was hoping to keep any potential invaders shut out until I could properly prepare for them, but my dwarves never pulled the lever to lower the bridge. I'll have to remember to lock a dwarf into the control chamber the next time an ambush arrives.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3538 on: June 13, 2010, 12:47:45 pm »

Currently on 40d I'm starting a fotress living off imports. This is going to be interesting
Hello Hunam

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3539 on: June 13, 2010, 01:23:57 pm »

welp. had a 4 year fort, everything was running so well it was boring.  Finally decided to break into a cavern and sent in my "scout" squad to waltz around.  they got in deep when suddenly there it is.

the forgotten beats nunur nunursarek! a pterosaur made of crystal glass who apparently spins webs.

Worse yet, he wasn't near my squad.  somehow he snuck up to the break between the caverns and my fort. this aint good.

I immediatly send in all squads to kill him, I see a pikeman and lasher make it first, they get one glimpse of him and run off. cowards! I have no idea what to do, but then.. there he is. my legendary militia commander charges in and right away chops the bastards left foot right off. they tussle for maybe a minute. it loses another foot and is already red in every single other part of his body, my militia commander is unscathed and reinforcements have arrived

and thats it. 5 minutes go by of combat, nothing changes in the forgotten beast.  my soldiers are just hacking away at him and he absolutely refuses to die.  meanwhile my scout squad had gotten interrupted by a wave of troglodytes, they heroically fought through and made it to the forgotten beast, but we can't bring him down.  one dwarf gets knocked out of the fight, then another, then another, all the while we're losing many from our horde of war dogs.

at this point I decided to go make a bagel.

now my militia commander is absolutely suicidal, starving and thirsty. he's had to run off to regain some energy, all my soldiers are dead, my fort is at the hands of the forgotten beast.

...so many dead war dogs :(
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 3842