Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6105359 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #3465 on: June 10, 2010, 09:04:03 pm »

Been killing people with Mr. Sketch like crazy. But as we were killing yet another annoying trogie, the last antwoman started chasing Trenton II. So as we're hurrying over this happens.
Spoiler: Actual Spoiler. (click to show/hide)

Explain what this means.
Spoiler: Possibly offensive (click to show/hide)
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3466 on: June 10, 2010, 09:19:55 pm »

Lolwut.
Also my Kills so far compared to Mr. Sketches 8.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I use a bronze Pickaxe. I got 10 of my kills with a copper pickaxe which I have grown attached to and can no longer use in battle.
I also use the Artifact Buckler Carlos made the second he arrived here.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Terisuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3467 on: June 11, 2010, 12:51:36 am »

Had a pretty bad start to the session - as I was walling off my epic outdoor statue garden built over a confluence, crossbowmen attack and turn my best armorsmith into a sieve.  Was sort of doing tantrum spiral damage control for a bit, and then one of my blacksmiths came over all secretive.  The result?

Oltarsokan Irmeng, Gildphrase the New Lash - an Adamantine Battle Axe. 

A 1.6 million dwarfbuck artifact adamantine battle axe totally makes me rethink my opinion of this previously mediocre session.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3468 on: June 11, 2010, 01:41:49 am »

Just wait until some dwarf tries to do battle with that wiffle bat. DF's damage modeling is a little kooky right now, and lightweight items can't do much damage if any.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Terisuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3469 on: June 11, 2010, 01:47:05 am »

Just wait until some dwarf tries to do battle with that wiffle bat. DF's damage modeling is a little kooky right now, and lightweight items can't do much damage if any.
Well, it's not a HAMMER, mind.  It's a battle axe.  My adamantine axes of normal stock have been quite effective at slicing and dicing everything the local gobbos have thrown at us so far, and so I have no reason to believe this mojo-enhanced toy will do any different.  Perhaps 60% of my battles begin and end with "The Axedwarf slices the goblin's lower body, and the severed part sails away in a bloody arc!"

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3470 on: June 11, 2010, 01:49:54 am »

Oh, well I'm glad to hear that! Now I know there may be useful weapons to make from adamantine.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

SpacemanSpiff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3471 on: June 11, 2010, 02:06:31 am »

Perhaps 60% of my battles begin and end with "The Axedwarf slices the goblin's lower body, and the severed part sails away in a bloody arc!"

Yeah, but those get a bit repetitive.  I live for rare battle reports like this:

The Axelord hacks The Goblin Spearman in the right lower leg and the severed part sails off in an arc!
The Goblin Spearman falls over.
The Axelord hacks The Goblin Spearman in the right upper arm and the severed part sails off in an arc!
The Axelord hacks The Goblin Spearman in the left upper arm and the severed part sails off in an arc!
The Goblin Spearman has become enraged!

At this point it's basically the Monty Python scene, with the goblin screaming "Oh yeah?  Come back here and I'll kick you to death!"  Sadly they always bleed out in the next second :)

[Mansionmurdered's two militia squads just butchered four goblin ambush squads, where I got the above combat report.   So it's time to extend my network of subsurface tunnels - my dwarfs dig near goblin remains, build an up-staircase immediately under them, and can then channel out the surface square while standing on the stairs.  Voila, goblinite falls down into my fortress, and no-one ever has to go outside.  Then I build a wall there afterwards to plug the hole and act as a floor tile on the surface.]

Edit: typo.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 11:37:18 am by SpacemanSpiff »

Terisuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3472 on: June 11, 2010, 04:16:50 am »

Perhaps 60% of my battles begin and end with "The Axedwarf slices the goblin's lower body, and the severed part sails away in a bloody arc!"

Yeah, but those get a bit repetitive.  I live for rare battle reports like this:

The Axelord hacks The Goblin Spearman in the right lower leg and the severed part sails off in an arc!
The Goblin Spearman falls over.
The Axelord hacks The Goblin Spearman in the right upper arm and the severed part sails off in an arc!
The Axelord hacks The Goblin Spearman in the left upper arm and the severed part sails off in an arc!
The Goblin Spearman has become enraged!

At this point it's basically the Monty Python scene, with the goblin screaming "Oh yeah?  Come back here and I'll kick you do to death!"  Sadly they always bleed out in the next second :)

[Mansionmurdered's two militia squads just butchered four goblin ambush squads, where I got the above combat report.   So it's time to extend my network of subsurface tunnels - my dwarfs dig near goblin remains, build an up-staircase immediately under them, and can then channel out the surface square while standing on the stairs.  Voila, goblinite falls down into my fortress, and no-one ever has to go outside.  Then I build a wall there afterwards to plug the hole and act as a floor tile on the surface.]
I'm pleased to report that the axe came with cruelty preinstalled.  The first siege that came by after my militia captain was swinging that sucker around, he stayed behind by the gobbos that had run over my weapons traps and chopped off fingers and ears. 

Also, weapons traps + sheer cliff with an un-climb-outable river at the bottom = fun with goblin dodging, it would appear.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3473 on: June 11, 2010, 09:50:03 am »

Hi!

Okay, I am playing my first 31.06 fortress. This time, I am going for extra-slow expansion, stopping time and again to allow them to use up the stone generated by the mining (okay, I now have to wait quite a bit as I dug out the well (my first in 31.xx, I think) in one foul swoop). I got a very nice small site near a brook that freezes in autumn/winter (making breaching it a piece of cake; all I have to do is wait for my dwarves to get rid of the stones before I can fill the well).

As has been the case in several of my fortresses now, the human caravan has been one year late: So, in the first year, I get only the dwarven caravan. In the second, I get elves and dwarves, and only in the third year will I get all three caravans (^_^;;

I have had a few marriages although I am working my dwarves a bit too hard for my liking and there are already children and babies in the fortress. Since I was optimistic about finally getting fish again, I re-activated moods (I had deactivated them after I repeatedly got sites without fish in my previous fortresses).

And now, my bookkeeper, carrying around her youngest child on her back, turned into my first mood (a fey mood, hooray!) and claimed my masonry. Mmmhhhh, I had already mixed feelings about that. She then ran off and fetched a piece of cave spider silk (I am sure I also bought giant cave spider silk!!!) and began to work (checking the masonry confirmed that she had not only claimed the workshop but also the diorite the other dwarf had been working on at the time.

As you can guess, the result of her work speaks for itself:
Kisateth, "Emptyshut", a diorite throne

This is a diorite throne. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. This object menaces with spikes of cave spider silk. On the item is an image of muskoxen in diorite.

Its value is just 3,600...

Somehow, I have the feeling my bookkeeper was trying to tell me something. I guess I should give them at least some lunch breaks (^_^;;

Deathworks

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3474 on: June 11, 2010, 10:07:09 am »

huh..... apparently my legendary engraver decided he had to engrave something "RIght-the-fuck-now!!!!".
I now have a "Rough siltsone block floor" with an engraving on it. This shouldn't even be possible because the engraving is on top of a constructed wall, which for some reason isn't smooth on top. proof spoilered below, cus of images. Also, I'm not very good at uploading images, but they should be readable.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

sorry about all the white space. anyone know how to get rid of it?
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3475 on: June 11, 2010, 11:52:20 am »

make the paint thing smaller. pull the blue things on the edges.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Turambar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3476 on: June 11, 2010, 12:06:40 pm »

I got an artifact lead mace.

Would it be useful to equip a military dwarf with it, or are blunt weapons really that bad?

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3477 on: June 11, 2010, 12:08:37 pm »

Hi!

My second mood has just begun... Somehow, my dwarves are not very creative. This guy also got a fey mood - good. But he also claimed the mason's workshop - bad. Shouldn't they have a thing for the craftsdwarf shop?

I hope he will at least go for more precious materials.

EDIT: 1 x diorite, 2 x gypsum, 1 x lapis lazuli, 1 x mussel shell .... I just hope that there are at least some nice images and not just another assortment of spikes (T_T)

EDIT:Turambar: I haven't tested it, but blunt weapons are efficient based on their weight, so a LEAD mace artifact should be quite something. If you are doubtful about it, place it into a weapon trap at a good location and wait for what the combat reports say.

Deathworks

EDIT III: He finished it, turning from a fisherdwarf into a miner. And I am now sure they want to get a break (although the artifact is worth 8,400). Or they really hate me, otherwise that wouldn't have been the result:

Nir Muz, "The Land of Fungus", a diorite armor stand

This is a diorite armor stand. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with diorite and decorated with mussel shell. This object menaces with spikes of lapis lazuli. On the item is an image of Emptyshut the diorite throne in gypsum.
On the item is an image of ushrir Merchantroar the dwarf and dwarves in gypsum. ushrir Merchantroar is surrounded by the dwarves. The artwork relates to the ascension of the dwarf ushrir Merchantroar to the position of king of the Razor of Confederacies in 262.

The image of that ancient king is nice, but why the image of the other artifact (T_T)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 12:18:53 pm by Deathworks »

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3478 on: June 11, 2010, 12:15:23 pm »

Would it be useful to equip a military dwarf with it, or are blunt weapons really that bad?

Lead is an amazing blunt weapon material, so yes, try equipping. But I still recommend you use edged weapons as they are more damaging.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3479 on: June 11, 2010, 12:42:43 pm »

Lead is an amazing blunt weapon material, so yes, try equipping. But I still recommend you use edged weapons as they are more damaging.

On their own, blunt weapons aren't very effective. However, if you have blunt weapons AND pointy weapons (and crossbow support to thin them out from a distance), you can have your macedwarf incapacitate the enemy (blunt weapons break bones and don't care about armor) and then have sword and crossbow dwarves take him out while he's down.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 3842