Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6104893 times)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #3420 on: June 08, 2010, 05:37:34 pm »

There's a river with a small (1-z) canyon, which is nice. I'm considering building a glass pyramid on top of my fort. Whats the tallest z-level in 40d?

15z above the highest aboveground level, and 15z below the lowest aboveground level.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3421 on: June 08, 2010, 05:46:43 pm »

There's a river with a small (1-z) canyon, which is nice. I'm considering building a glass pyramid on top of my fort. Whats the tallest z-level in 40d?

15z above the highest aboveground level, and 15z below the lowest aboveground level.

And in 31, it's whatever you set it to in the params!
I like making each layer around 50 Z-levels. Adds a bit of challenge (as well as a lot more metal). Or at least for me. Every time I start a fort the first thing I do is build a staircase to the bottommost Z-level.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3422 on: June 08, 2010, 08:06:45 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well, that didn't work out well... she did manage to make it home alive, but she took the wrong route, avoiding the cave-in trap.  Bronzy followed her to the fortress, fought some merchants' bodyguards for a while, somehow got into the fortress, and started fighting with my four soldiers.  I decided to stop trying to save the fortress, and just let Fun happen.... only it didn't.  This particular Bronze Colossus seems to be incapable of killing anything.  BORING.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3423 on: June 08, 2010, 08:46:01 pm »

Just finished blocking off my little section of cavern, water and all. Had to collapse the ceiling in, in spots, to wall in a section of water for my own use, without giant olms swimming in and wrecking my shit. Also built walls up to the ceiling, which is an average of 10 levels above the water (I tweaked cavern openness)- I lost my last fort to the very first forgotten beast to show up, a flying blob of vomit. No flyers will be making it in this time!

On the other hand, I lost an entire 17 dwarf migrant wave to a goblin ambush. Turns out 17 wrestlers and one guy with an axe don't do so great against six lashers and a hammer goblin in metal armor. Every dwarf dead, and the worst injury on the goblin side was a broken ankle.

Next step is to figure out whether it's smarter to pump up the magma to a reasonable level or just burrow a few dwarves in the depths. I need some arms and armor for my military...
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

Flaming Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh No Indian!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3424 on: June 08, 2010, 10:40:32 pm »

For whatever reason, I decided to buy a giant lion, struggled to figure out how to let it out of its cage, crossed my fingers that it wouldn't attack my dorfs... and it turns out I have to train it to fight for me. Dang. Come to think of it, I've never bought/trained any animals, so I'll be looking into that.
Hell, I think I need to train it to even name it.
Ah well. It's nice to have. It looks pretty cool. Maybe I'll eventually get off my lazy ass and read the wiki to figure out training, who knows. >.>

edit: I officially like this thread. I just read through a couple pages... like a million little microblogs.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 11:45:55 pm by Flaming Dorf »
[PERMITTED_JOINT:100] (It's a maximum number per day. This is the elven setting)

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3425 on: June 08, 2010, 10:59:19 pm »

reassigning immigrant jobs. then I'm going to kick back and wait for .06 so I don't have to deal with the globs crash.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3426 on: June 09, 2010, 07:03:49 am »

Water flooded my room again.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: June 09, 2010, 07:42:40 am »

The elves just brought some o' dat valley 'erb.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: June 09, 2010, 08:26:25 am »

After much reconsideration, I reverted back, Fixed the well by blocking up the hole until I can find out what to do.
Then I put myself into the military to train with a bronze buckler and a copper pick.
I will continue to search for magma.
And I will release the troglodyte I caught, into the barracks and lock the doors. its good for training.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: June 09, 2010, 10:35:40 am »

Last year I had asked the caravan to bring every kind of meat they had available, like I usually do.  In previous versions this was usually just the domestic animals.  I believe something with the melting rain kept civs from realizing they had access to wildlife in tropical areas.

I had noticed that they had a very wide selection of meat when I told the liason that but thought nothing of it.  Figured they wouldn't bring it all.

Haha.  They brought it all. a total of 20000☼ of various animal products is currently sitting in my trade depot on year 2, as I puzzle out how to legitimately purchase it all.  Everything from Sea Serpent tripe to Large roach brain.   Carnivore fortresses have gotten almost trivial now with trading enabled.  I have enough food in my fortress right now, to feed every member of my entire civ for just short of an entire season.  Enough to feed just my fortress for 5 years, and they are bringing more of the same next year.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Srial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: June 09, 2010, 10:41:22 am »

I'm trying to figure out what to do with the first 13 adamantite ore I've ever mined in DF.  I'm very excited.  Maybe new battleaxes.  Maybe a statue for my newly elected mayor.   Maybe I'll just make funny dwarven hats out of them.

Oh, and also try to find more admantite ore.  Most I can find so far is floating in the magma sea which is hard for me to get to.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: June 09, 2010, 10:42:11 am »

I'm trying to figure out what to do with the first 13 adamantite ore I've ever mined in DF.  I'm very excited.  Maybe new battleaxes.  Maybe a statue for my newly elected mayor.   Maybe I'll just make funny dwarven hats out of them.

Oh, and also try to find more admantite ore.  Most I can find so far is floating in the magma sea which is hard for me to get to.

Be careful...
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Lurking Grue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: June 09, 2010, 11:35:23 am »

Just Found that my favorite Militia Captain is apparently destined to fail miserably and die a pitiful death no matter how many times I reload.

Take 1: He thunders forward towards the group of Goblins, Axe raised high to cleave and smite, The axe falls once! twice! thrice! Three blows and three Goblins are sundered... Then he dodges, Slips and plummets into a tiny murky pool one square wide. The remaining Goblins point and laugh as he drowns in two inches of water.

Take 2: He thunders forward towards the group of Goblins, Axe raised high to cleave and smite, The first Goblin takes a plucky swing with his little knife scratching the captain across the knuckles, Causing him to drop his axe and shield and flee the field of battle crying like a small girl... Goblins pursue and take their time killing him literally carving him into small chunks.

Take 3: As before Blah blah, The last Goblin takes a swing and pokes the captain in the EAR killing him outright... This the only wound he recieved in the whole fight.

Take 4: Meteor Strike, Chest Burster, Spontaneous Combustion... I'm scared to find out.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: June 09, 2010, 11:47:19 am »

Urist McMilitiaCaptain cancels live: Interrupted by destiny.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: June 09, 2010, 12:31:50 pm »

Urist McMilitia cancels Survive Goblin Attack: Interrupted by Random Number God.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 3842