Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6104794 times)

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #3360 on: June 06, 2010, 08:58:51 pm »

shoulda turned on auto save once embarked.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

saru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: June 06, 2010, 08:59:23 pm »

Maybe a lack of bags?
I'm fairly sure it's just that I tried to get my industry roaring too early, and with too large a military, and so I don't have enough dwarves left to haul sand down 20 z-levels fast enough to keep two glass furnaces fed.

Bug alert: I made ben new commander. I made him a squad with matt. Now i have to give them orders for them to be in the military. Only way. Otherwise they do civilian things.
It's the same way for me, except it's always been that way. They all just stand around doing individual combat drills, listed as their civilian profession, no matter what their schedule says—train, defend, no orders. It's all the same.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #3362 on: June 06, 2010, 09:16:53 pm »

shoulda turned on auto save once embarked.

Not even a season passed, but I had designated most of the stuff to be dug.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: June 06, 2010, 09:21:19 pm »

Embarked in a decent zone. Lots of sedimentary stone but no flux, so I'll have to import flux or steel. Meanwhile, iron will suffice, though it's not ideal. Between traps, training, and item quality it shouldn't be too bad.

This is the first time I've successfully pierced an aquifer. After about 8 tries today, I finally managed via the pump method. Unfortunately, this puts my fortress a little deeper than I'd like, so hopefully the caverns aren't near the surface here. If they are, it could be problematic since I haven't gotten a military up. First things first, get some trade goods for the caravan. Mussel shells and a vein of silver I ran into should take care of that well enough. Then get some basic iron armor out, layer it up with chain and plate seeing as I don't have steel, and get a squad training. There's plenty of coal underground and trees above ground to support a decent metal industry without magma, so there's no real rush to find magma pools/sea.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: June 07, 2010, 12:12:19 am »

Please, someone hazard a guess as to what's going on in this screenshot.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you guessed 'four forgotten beasts are hanging out in a 1-tile-wide hallway between the sealed-off caverns and the edge of the map,' you win a prize!
Now you only need a "H"-forgotten beast and you've got yourself a CHASM!

A fifth just showed up. Same spot. That's three in the last ten months. This one is an N.

I have CNMAS. I don't think I can spell anything with that :\

Now I have... CNMASA. I can't believe they keep coming in the same entrance.

zergl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: June 07, 2010, 12:18:13 am »

Please, someone hazard a guess as to what's going on in this screenshot.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you guessed 'four forgotten beasts are hanging out in a 1-tile-wide hallway between the sealed-off caverns and the edge of the map,' you win a prize!
Now you only need a "H"-forgotten beast and you've got yourself a CHASM!

A fifth just showed up. Same spot. That's three in the last ten months. This one is an N.

I have CNMAS. I don't think I can spell anything with that :\

Now I have... CNMASA. I can't believe they keep coming in the same entrance.

You can now spell "camans" which apparently is the plural of the stick used in some scottish field hockey variety.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: June 07, 2010, 12:19:04 am »

You actually got an A? Holy crap.

Now just get a K.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: June 07, 2010, 12:22:15 am »

Hold on, my bad, I have CNNMAS. Got another N, but I got mixed up. There are enough of them that that's actually a problem.

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: June 07, 2010, 01:41:37 am »

Trying to get my military up and running so I can venture further into the caverns, as they provide my only sustenance. I have a small section of the caves walled off with ice, and going to the surface is not a good idea, as there are zombie polar bears up there. There's also a forgotten beast lurking outside my walls, that needs axing.

Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: June 07, 2010, 02:38:22 am »

Building a magma chamber to kill my captives in.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

SpacemanSpiff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: June 07, 2010, 03:16:33 am »

Having fun in my terrifying jungle/untamed swamp.  I'm limiting myself to 50 dwarves, and had planned out a mini-fortress below ground in the shape of an 11x11x11 cube.  I hit the first cavern seven levels down, so I decided it was time to learn how to build towers as well.  After 1.5 years I had 40 dwarves, with 8 of them in bronze armor, and two floors of bedrooms above ground.  Building was slowed by the periodic appearance of herds of skeletal elephants, frightening the masons as they tried to add more levels to the tower.  I decided I wasn't going to challenge them until my militia had trained for another year.

Then I get my first-ever forgotten beast - a giant 3-eyed monitor lizard with a taste for blood.  No problem, it's safely walled off in the first cavern, with my fortress sitting off to one side above a massive lake.  I mentally add it to the "list of things to kill in a year", and go back to building the next bedroom level.  Suddenly I see the little red "C" combat indicator. The forgotten beast is sitting on the lowest level of my fortress, kicking a dog!  This is when I learn that up/down stairs penetrate to the level below, and if that level is open air above an underground lake, then anything flying can get in.

The forgotten beast proceeds to scream up my central staircase, going past stockpiles, workshops, dining hall, barracks, hospital, the lot. It finally stops on my construction level, interrupting a lye-maker as she churns out rock blocks.  My militia scrambles to catch up, and after some confused hacking and slashing my best axedwarf settles things by taking off its head.  The lye-maker escapes with a torn cheek (she was shaken around BY HER CHEEK), and a novice cook hastily prepares 198 forgotten beast lung biscuits and 46 forgotten beast intestine biscuits - tasty!  His boss is still trying to render 104 units of fat in the other kitchen, and the 136 bones get used in a gold throne that menaces with spikes of forgotten beast bone and snailman shell.  That's a LOT of spikes.

Roll on to two years, and my first goblin ambush party appears.  Good, my militia are ready to be tested!  Only... why are the goblins out there on the edge of the map... where the... SKELETAL ELEPHANTS ARE.  Oh, this could be GOOD.   Six goblins take on seven skeletal elephants in a battle to see who's baddest.   The goblins soon learn that while maces and hammers are great at shattering bones, that doesn't do you any good when the owners of said bones don't feel pain and can still stomp you to death with four broken limbs.  Reading the combat reports, the lesson when fighting elephants is NEVER FALL OVER.  Once you're down, you're basically dead meat.  One goblin gets its head caved in by a flying elephant drop-kick, five are put on the ground and then kicked to death in various brutal and unpleasant ways, but one seems set to survive.  She's only bruised, dodging like crazy, shattering skeletal limbs left and right.  Then she dodges once too often and finds herself at the bottom of a muddy pool.  Two elephants jump in to kick her some more while she drowns.

Then a second goblin ambush party pops up, with six axemen led a crossbowman.  This should be a fairer fight.  Things are touch and go for a while, as one axeman is quickly kicked unconscious.  Then his squad-mates decapitate two elephants, and the tables are turned.  There's a flurry of elephant-parts, and three more go down.  But just as the last two elephants are being brutalized, the goblins suddenly turn and run!  Their crossbowman-leader has been kicked unconscious, and they've lost hope.  He comes around and starts limping towards the map edge, but the last two skeletal elephants are remorseless.  Pausing briefly to finish off the unconscious axeman, they lurch after the crossbowman.  They're both missing a foot and their trunk, they have red wounds all over, and one has lost both its tusks - it's basically two cripples chasing an invalid.  Whenever the crossbowman gives in to pain and falls over, the elephants catch up and kick him some more, so he gets up and staggers a little further.  At last a kick to the chest bruises his heart, and its all over, five tiles from the map edge.  Final score: skeletal elephants 8, goblins 5.

tl;dr version: organic forgotten beasts are hell on kitchen staff, skeletal elephants > goblins, and DON'T GO OUTSIDE
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 03:25:32 am by SpacemanSpiff »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: June 07, 2010, 03:36:34 am »

Beautiful. *clap*
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: June 07, 2010, 04:24:30 am »

After several successful military engagements, I lost track of something and Obi made his way into my fort. It's a towering,winged humanoid made of amber opal. I saw the annoucement that he had destroyed a door and mobilized both sqauds of my military, hoping he could be hacked apart eventually. Before the militia could catch him, Obi and stormed into my farming sector. He already had substantial wounds from some encounter with a fish people civilization or something of the sort, but a massive opal monster is still quite a threat.

The battle ended up being joined in the hallway right outside my dining hall, where Obi stopped to rip one of the fortress dogs in half. While the Captain of the Guard and his squad picked away at the thing with silver spears and swords, my militia commander finally arrived. She already had a dozen kills under her belt, and unseathed her artifact golden battle axe, The Systematic Chastity, happily. She immediately cuts both of Obi's arms and legs off, and fractures both wings. Nevertheless, the forgotten beast refuses to die. With the unfortunate dwarves who happened to be dining at the time huddling in horror, I watch with dread fascination as the creature's deadly frozen spittle shatters bones. My best axedwarf, armed with a steel battle axe and having already killed two forgotten beasts, is struck squarely in the chest by one blob, which shatters his right true rib and sends the splintered bone slicing through his lung. He collapses in a bloody pile while the rest fight on.

As I watch, I actually got to see a few chunks of amber opal get chipped away or severed or something. Deciding the fight is lost, I look for a way to cave-in the area, without any success. As my broken dwarves try to crawl to safety, Dwarf Fortress crashes.

tl;dr: Giant monsters made of solid opal will mess you up.
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: June 07, 2010, 06:30:01 am »

After several successful military engagements, I lost track of something and Obi made his way into my fort. It's a towering,winged humanoid made of amber opal. I saw the annoucement that he had destroyed a door and mobilized both sqauds of my military, hoping he could be hacked apart eventually. Before the militia could catch him, Obi and stormed into my farming sector. He already had substantial wounds from some encounter with a fish people civilization or something of the sort, but a massive opal monster is still quite a threat.

The battle ended up being joined in the hallway right outside my dining hall, where Obi stopped to rip one of the fortress dogs in half. While the Captain of the Guard and his squad picked away at the thing with silver spears and swords, my militia commander finally arrived. She already had a dozen kills under her belt, and unseathed her artifact golden battle axe, The Systematic Chastity, happily. She immediately cuts both of Obi's arms and legs off, and fractures both wings. Nevertheless, the forgotten beast refuses to die. With the unfortunate dwarves who happened to be dining at the time huddling in horror, I watch with dread fascination as the creature's deadly frozen spittle shatters bones. My best axedwarf, armed with a steel battle axe and having already killed two forgotten beasts, is struck squarely in the chest by one blob, which shatters his right true rib and sends the splintered bone slicing through his lung. He collapses in a bloody pile while the rest fight on.

As I watch, I actually got to see a few chunks of amber opal get chipped away or severed or something. Deciding the fight is lost, I look for a way to cave-in the area, without any success. As my broken dwarves try to crawl to safety, Dwarf Fortress crashes.

tl;dr: Giant monsters made of solid opal will mess you up.

They're also invincible, you can't kill them, they will keep coming.

Just like Batman.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: June 07, 2010, 07:35:45 am »

They're also invincible, you can't kill them, they will keep coming.

Just like Batman.
They're only invincible if there are no vital body parts that can be removed. This means a head that can be severed from the body, or an upper/lower body-combo that can be split. If it's a minuscule chalk blob, it can' be killed with dwarf-held weapons (magma and cave-ins are a different thing). If it's a gigantic bronze blob with ridiculous amounts of limbs and a head, it can be killed. It'll take a while, due to bronze being rather difficult to damage, but it's possible.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 3842