Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6104095 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #3210 on: May 30, 2010, 02:15:56 pm »

An example of the highly skilled precision weapon swings my military is capable of.

The Swordsman slashes The Goblin Swordsman in the upper right back tooth with his adamantine greatsword and the severed part sails off in an arc!

That is without harming the head, cheek, lips, or other teeth in any way ladies and gentlemen.

EDIT: And then shortly after he cured the goblin of it's addiction to it's lower body.  I'm starting to think full adamantine armor and weapons is just causing my military to get overconfident and start showing off.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 02:19:00 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

SpacemanSpiff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: May 30, 2010, 03:49:48 pm »

Skeletals are invincible. You can't kill them. However, if you break enough bones and tendons, you can train your dwarves up to Legendary Wrestler (or perhaps anything else) in a matter of minutes.

My untrained woodcutter killed one by chopping its head off, so slashing weapons work fine if you can get in a lucky shot.  Second time around I'm building up a squad with enough numbers and enough armor that they can withstand the kicking until they get lucky :)

An example of the highly skilled precision weapon swings my military is capable of.

The Swordsman slashes The Goblin Swordsman in the upper right back tooth with his adamantine greatsword and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Sounds like your swordsmen have found a new line of work. Better hang a sign outside your fortress to advertise their services:

Goblins: Dental Surgery While You Wait!
But it'll cost you an arm and a leg
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 03:56:48 pm by SpacemanSpiff »

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: May 30, 2010, 04:18:18 pm »

I think I have a problem with conservative constructions.

I set out earlier today to make a nice, simple, compact cast-and-carved ice castle on a glacier to see if I could master the physics trickery involved. I estimated it would be like... maybe 50x50, including a moat, and 10-15z high. Yet every time I go to plan out the layout, the entryway takes up practically 50x50 on its own. Currently my masons are walling off a probably 200x150 area for the cast shell, and I'm prepared to make it go up like 20-25 levels. Maybe a bit more. I don't know if I can stop myself. The problem is that I have to mentally visualize everything in my head, and I imagine a 1z high room (for a dwarf) to be about 5ft high. So making a 10z high castle is... well, room-wise, it's okay, but to add tapering towers and garnishes to the roof I need a lot more space, and if some rooms start above ground level, I want to be able to still get them to go high enough, and... uh. Yeah. I wasn't even planning on adding towers to it until I typed it just now and I can't not do it. And now I want to add a temple in there somewhere too. Argh. This is going to end with like making a magma moat around oh my god I must do that.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: May 30, 2010, 06:20:35 pm »

but the skeletal ones proceeded to kick the carp outta my dwarves.

Skeletals are invincible. You can't kill them. However, if you break enough bones and tendons, you can train your dwarves up to Legendary Wrestler (or perhaps anything else) in a matter of minutes.

That's obsolete. Toady fixed that in .02 or .03.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: May 30, 2010, 07:51:28 pm »

but the skeletal ones proceeded to kick the carp outta my dwarves.

That's obsolete. Toady fixed that in .02 or .03.

I see. I guess I should update then :P
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: May 30, 2010, 07:52:41 pm »

I think I have a problem with conservative constructions.

I set out earlier today to make a nice, simple, compact cast-and-carved ice castle on a glacier to see if I could master the physics trickery involved. I estimated it would be like... maybe 50x50, including a moat, and 10-15z high. Yet every time I go to plan out the layout, the entryway takes up practically 50x50 on its own. Currently my masons are walling off a probably 200x150 area for the cast shell, and I'm prepared to make it go up like 20-25 levels. Maybe a bit more. I don't know if I can stop myself. The problem is that I have to mentally visualize everything in my head, and I imagine a 1z high room (for a dwarf) to be about 5ft high. So making a 10z high castle is... well, room-wise, it's okay, but to add tapering towers and garnishes to the roof I need a lot more space, and if some rooms start above ground level, I want to be able to still get them to go high enough, and... uh. Yeah. I wasn't even planning on adding towers to it until I typed it just now and I can't not do it. And now I want to add a temple in there somewhere too. Argh. This is going to end with like making a magma moat around oh my god I must do that.
Dwarf Fortress: Ignoring size estimates since the beginning of the 3D era.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

hamburgerfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3216 on: May 30, 2010, 08:44:20 pm »

Mebzuth Armorsmith was born today, the first baby born in the mighty fortress of Wheelskunks. His very long beard is braided.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: May 30, 2010, 10:02:45 pm »

Mebzuth Armorsmith was born today, the first baby born in the mighty fortress of Wheelskunks. His very long beard is braided.
Dwarven Babies don't need them old people's help! they can braid their own beards before they're even born!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: May 31, 2010, 12:01:56 am »

Humans are born with hair on their heads. Dwarves are born with beards longer than they are.

I finally got around to DF2010, mostly because Dwarf Therapist is updated and I managed to optimize enough that it didn't lag horrible. The place I embarked is very nice, lots of limestone, trees, and I haven't pierced the caves yet. I checked civs on embark and the only civ missing is the elves, and who needs them anyways. There's no running water, unfortunately, but it rains a lot and it's fairly cool. Haven't hit winter, it might freeze up, but I saw no evaporation during the summer which is promising.

The place is very mineral rich, I've dug through three gem clusters and five iron veins just digging out storage and farming zones (takes a lot longer, now that you have to plan for irrigation. I dug out some rooms right below a murky pool and pierced the roof with a ramp to irrigate, then had to wait two months before enough water drained into my fort for me to build a wall and cap the flood. So water won't be a problem.

Just got my first migrant wave. Not a huge fan of Dwarf Therapist, but since Dwarf Manager apparently didn't make the migration I'll have to learn it I suppose.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: May 31, 2010, 05:40:41 am »

And the best thing of all: It is now early summer in the second year, and I just got the 5th marriage in that fortress - bringing my populace to 5 married couples and 4 singles. And in within less than two years! This is what I had always hoped for.

Have you been doing anything to encourage marriages?

Rastaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: May 31, 2010, 06:35:30 am »

And the best thing of all: It is now early summer in the second year, and I just got the 5th marriage in that fortress - bringing my populace to 5 married couples and 4 singles. And in within less than two years! This is what I had always hoped for.

Apart from letting the four single dwarves do all the work while everybody else chills in the meeting area?

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: May 31, 2010, 08:46:55 am »

I've started my fort's forst mega big project: Artificial lake.

>Movie<

Do they end up with fish in them or will i need to somehow stock it with captured/bought fish?

*EDIT* Oh and a 5yr old child just got a Fey mood and claimed a Craftsdwarf's workshop.

*EDIT2* >>> A 5yr Old is now a legendary Woodcrafter.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

She made a ring
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Worth 8500. Not great but hell, she's only 5.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 09:29:18 am by hjd_uk »

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: May 31, 2010, 10:10:23 am »

There is some seriously weird shit going on. When I breached the first cavern, I also discovered an empty magma pipe. "Weird, what's going on here?" I thought to myself. So I went to explore. Or rather, a kitten went to explore. I threw it in the emptied pipe to see what all the fuss was about and it fell. And continued falling. And falling. It fell 109 z-levels before hitting a solid floor. But a couple of stories before it fell to it's doom, it discovered the magma sea. I was pleased that it had served a purpose, and thought no more of it. Except, this was a rather odd magma sea. It wasn't quite full. It was flowing. Almost as if it was draining into something. Impossible! I said to myself. And while the kitten kept on falling, it discovered the lowest feature. But how? I wondered. Upon closer examination, it was clear that the magma sea was draining in the HFS naturally. I had just breached it, and the magma was pouring in the circus. Acting quickly, I locked up all entrances to my fort and continued.
A couple of minutes ago, I was bored and greedy and decided to go exploring further: I hadn't found caverns 2 and 3 yet. So I dug down, avoiding opening up C1 and quickly discovered C2. I dropped in a dog and closed the entrance. I went deeper and deeper and came across C3. And half of it is submerged in magma. It's ten z-levels above the magma sea my kitten discovered, but not completely 7/7. This means that C3 is connected to the sea, which is connected to the circus.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: May 31, 2010, 12:55:06 pm »

Hi!

Apart from letting the four single dwarves do all the work while everybody else chills in the meeting area?

Nope, nothing special. The only noteworthy thing was keeping production to an absolute minimum, so no fancy underground projects (not possible because of the aquifer anyway). So, everyone spent quite some time "chilling".

Of course, now my miners are digging like crazy and my engravers also work 24/7, so there are no news in the social realm.
However, I have activated the baby cap now that I have 19 children and 14 adult dwarves in the fortress (^_^;;

Deathworks

EDIT: I am still trying to get to grips that my initial/impromptu dining room is considered a very good one by my dwarves. They sure are pleased easily (^_^;;
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 01:00:05 pm by Deathworks »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: May 31, 2010, 02:39:51 pm »

today at soakedboards, my first ever mega beast shows up. a dragon. missing its left front foot. it lasts about 2 seconds against my artifact turtleshell sword armed squad leader who rushed him while his squad acted all confused about thier new waterskins near the well. seems he might have actually swum throuh the well and through the moat to get there. (the sword was a suprisingly positive end for a fey mood bone crafter - i was expecting something useless... also got an artifact turtle shell helm a short time later). seems Thikut could dodge fire wth ease - that or his steel armour was more than up to the task, possibly thanks to the added watercovering due to his trip through the well. there was a lot of fire. now there is a lot of dragonmeat roasts. maybe it will be used in engravings/images, instead of the contnued images of uristmcsomthing the inconsiderate crab killing multiple elves.

simultaneously my metalsmith went all fey and makes an obscenely impressive silver ststaue with multiple platinum decorations. should be nice and easy to please the baroness now, seeing as it is around 1mil dorfbucks in value.
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 3842