Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120353 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #3150 on: May 25, 2010, 11:33:57 pm »

Nope, no spear-fishing, though he will defend himself. Not much use against a clan of carp, though.

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: May 26, 2010, 12:23:49 am »

So a mason made an artifact coffin with this little gem

Is my mind dirty?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: May 26, 2010, 12:25:41 am »

Pfffft! Hahahaha.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: May 26, 2010, 12:38:10 am »

Hi!

I just had one badass kitten get cornered by a kobold thief and then the kitten went bat@#$% insane on the kobold and BEAT THE EVERLOVING CRAP OUT OF HIM.

Also minor bug I guess. In the battle reports (where the kitten eventually shook the kobold by the upperbody, ripping him in half) the kitten was refered to as a "Cat Child".

This ... this is just beautiful. I really envy you. It reminds me of the wonderful times of 2D where my cats ripped apart the critters from the underground river.

The only sad thing is that the game won't allow you to give this hero(ine) a proper burial.

In my own fortress, besides having the expecting beginning of multiplication, I found that indeed, once I traded with the dwarves, the next spring I got my first elven caravan. So, I guess the other merchants wait for the dwarven caravan to tell that a good deal can be made.

Other than that, things are progressing slowly, as I wanted to give my dwarves more time to socialize. But I should start moving things below the aquifer and abandon the impromptu hovel in the upper soil layers.

Deathworks

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: May 26, 2010, 12:39:43 am »

New fort in a serene biome.  the river nearby is home to an army of carp so I've had fishing turned off for the respective dwarf until I think of a good plan (will he fish with a spear if I train him and give him one?)

If you're playing 0.31, carp are no longer deadly beasts of unrivaled power. Now they're just ordinary fish.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: May 26, 2010, 12:44:18 am »

Nope, no spear-fishing, though he will defend himself. Not much use against a clan of carp, though.
shame, I was looking forward to amassing an army of spear fishermen to eradicate these little mutiniers

If you're playing 0.31, carp are no longer deadly beasts of unrivaled power. Now they're just ordinary fish.
nah. 40d

LordShotGun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: May 26, 2010, 12:03:51 pm »

Hi!

I just had one badass kitten get cornered by a kobold thief and then the kitten went bat@#$% insane on the kobold and BEAT THE EVERLOVING CRAP OUT OF HIM.

Also minor bug I guess. In the battle reports (where the kitten eventually shook the kobold by the upperbody, ripping him in half) the kitten was refered to as a "Cat Child".

This ... this is just beautiful. I really envy you. It reminds me of the wonderful times of 2D where my cats ripped apart the critters from the underground river.

The only sad thing is that the game won't allow you to give this hero(ine) a proper burial.

In my own fortress, besides having the expecting beginning of multiplication, I found that indeed, once I traded with the dwarves, the next spring I got my first elven caravan. So, I guess the other merchants wait for the dwarven caravan to tell that a good deal can be made.

Other than that, things are progressing slowly, as I wanted to give my dwarves more time to socialize. But I should start moving things below the aquifer and abandon the impromptu hovel in the upper soil layers.

Deathworks
Well I can either hope he gets adopted and then pets can be burried, or since I'm playing the genesis mod, I can make a glass case and put his corpse inside (IF he dies).
Must... eat... demon raaaaaaat! ARGLEBARGLEBARGLEBARGLE *CRASH* OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Tastes like... SAAAATAAAAAAAN!

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: May 26, 2010, 12:16:41 pm »

The Nemesis-bug just hit me. I never saw it in 40d#.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Mordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: May 26, 2010, 01:04:59 pm »

I found an awesome locations in .31.04 with a volcano and trees and flux.  Everything is going awesomely except the first dwarf caravan didn't bring an anvil (yay!) and my weaponsmith just got possessed (awesome!).  Now to wait another year with plenty of traps n stuff too keep safe.  Gotta buy some weapons from the humans when they come.
This Forgotten Beast was delicious!

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #3159 on: May 26, 2010, 01:21:57 pm »

N-noooo...
The game just crashed. Last time I saved right after two goblin squads ambushed me dwarf caravan at the Fall of the third year. One of the squads consisted mainly of ranged foes.
Not established military yet, they caught me off surpirse, especialy since they managed to move deep into my fort relatively quickly. Lost few dwarfs that already had good military stats before coming to my fort. I think liasom might also be dead.
But oh well, nothing of real value is lost, since I do not count a 4800 perfect bloodstone artifact as a real value.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: May 26, 2010, 01:26:37 pm »

Just built my first ever moat :) currently waiting for a human caravan to leave my depot so I can test the strength of my bridge mechanism on their wagons.

also, about fishing, when fishers defend themselves against carp they're unarmed using wrestling skills, so making them some well trained wrestlers would drastically increase their survival right?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: May 26, 2010, 02:07:34 pm »

Sorta kinda.  In 40d I noticed that it's usually not the carp directly killing the dwarf, it's more a "Water*Dwarf Lungs+carp=dwarf corpse" equation.  I would think your fishermen would be more likely to live if you taught them to swim first.  Once they don't drown in a half foot deep puddle, then wrestling skill will likely help their survival.  A dwarf that can't swim is doomed the moment he ends up in the river, whether he can kill the fish or not.

So far in .31 I have been sealing off the caverns when I encountered them and dug around them.  For the first time I am building a stronghold in the caverns.  I bypassed them long ago, but with the surface fortifications complete, my masons are all sitting idle. My military is up to snuff, so I break into the caverns one at a time, military leading the way as the masons build fancy fortifications down there as well giving me easy access to silk for the first time in .31.  The first cavern critter casualty was a gremlin that decided to uncloak in the middle of my lancer squad.

Here's the first strike.
Code: [Select]
A gremlin!  Drive it away!
The militia captain stabs The Gremlin in the throat with his adamantine lance, tearing it apart!
The adamantine lance has lodged firmly in the wound!
The militia captain twists the embedded adamantine lance around in The Gremlin's throat!

Hopefully the slaughter that followed will scare off of the rest of the pea-brained residents from trying anything equally stupid.

EDIT much later: Oh my god it's pandemonium!  I got 2 "A vile force of darkness has arrived"!  One from orcs, one from goblins.  Since the current cavern hadn't had any action in awhile I send the military to the surface to man the walls.  That was a terrible idea.  I now have two elk birds and a giant rat rampaging through my fortress while my military is busy fighting two armies of greenskins.

The Fortress guard is trying their best to fight off the underground fauna but are failing miserably.  They aren't as trained as the regular army, and they are only using maces.  It's like a scene from benny hill as they chase the elk birds around the fortress while a war dog and a giant rat are having a nibble fight.  One of the fortress guard actually fell into my sacrifice to Armok pit in his incompetence and broke most of the bones in his body after landing on a menacing spike and passing out.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 03:35:23 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: May 26, 2010, 04:07:04 pm »

A 53,000 dwarfbuck loincloth.  Who the hell withdraws from society to produce the world's most valuable loincloth?
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: May 26, 2010, 04:13:02 pm »

A 53,000 dwarfbuck loincloth.  Who the hell withdraws from society to produce the world's most valuable loincloth?

what was it made of? If you tell me, then I can tell you.
It was a dwarf who really likes [material].
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: May 26, 2010, 05:54:05 pm »

It'd be nice if stuff like that actually did something. That'd be great for the magic arc. A loincloth that raised fertility 400% would be hillarious.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 3842