Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109660 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #3135 on: May 25, 2010, 09:11:32 am »

Relised my fort will never get traders ... *crys*

Oh lol Shurikane, that one elf sure looks lonly in there doesn't it?

Actually, two elves. One up, one to the right.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: May 25, 2010, 09:33:16 am »

The swordself looks scared.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Lurking Grue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: May 25, 2010, 09:52:06 am »

Just started to look at the engravings my dwarfs are grinding away on and damn... about 1 in 3 are of a Tigerman named Gulfsoared who lived about 500 years ago who kicked the crap out of a ton of Elves, Most of the rest are the expedition leader surrounded by rats or the Crash-test-dwarf that got shot into orbit when I was testing the new anti-siege bridge.

Peasant

• Bay Watcher
  • MANY WHELPS NOW HANDLE IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: May 25, 2010, 10:40:27 am »

My militia commander, a legendary wrestler/miner/fighter yada yada got into a fight with the blind cave ogre who wandered into my fortress. A mule lost his hoof, and a dog was smahed to bits. That's not the important part, the important part is that the militia commander had his right arm punched off. Oh yes, punched off! He wandered for a second and then came back to punch the guts of that foul ogre. Right now he is faint but otherwise doing just fine. It's not the first time he got wounded and lived, a cougar pounced on him in the woods and a sand lion had a go at ripping his guts out, but failed. I knew that the moment his arm flew off (i don't know where it is at the moment) his coolness levels increased tenfold.

I am amazingly happy right now, the dwarf whose leg was cut and smashed and torn open by a sand lion is finally being recovered! After months of writhing in the ground, eating vomit and drinking his own blood, a farmer finally spots him and recovers him. He is dehydrated, drowsy and hungry right now. All of his wounds are healed though, i guess sleeping in the dirt really did good.

I couldn't get my militia commander to equip the axe and he went out to punch an alligator in the face. Let's just say he won't be grabbing anything ever again.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 10:57:21 am by Peasant »

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: May 25, 2010, 11:18:53 am »

Just started to look at the engravings my dwarfs are grinding away on and damn... about 1 in 3 are of a Tigerman named Gulfsoared who lived about 500 years ago who kicked the crap out of a ton of Elves, Most of the rest are the expedition leader surrounded by rats or the Crash-test-dwarf that got shot into orbit when I was testing the new anti-siege bridge.
Are the rats supposed to be the other dwarves?

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: May 25, 2010, 11:38:27 am »

Relised my fort will never get traders ... *crys*

Oh lol Shurikane, that one elf sure looks lonly in there doesn't it?

Where's Waldo?

And surely a *little* bit nervous about being the only elf in a prison block chock full of angry Goblins, he's probably praying for a quick magma-based death before the Gob's start eyeing him up.

Lurking Grue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: May 25, 2010, 12:23:09 pm »

Are the rats supposed to be the other dwarves?

No the expedition leader has a rat phobia and the masons seem to like pissing him off.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: May 25, 2010, 03:45:24 pm »

I love Dwarf Fortress, somebody talks about engravings of a dwarf that was shot into orbit with a bridge and nobody mentions it, instead talking about the engraving of rats surrounding a dwarf.  It's just another day in Dwarf Fortress.

I have extra adamantine, and I couldn't figure out to make with it.  I eventually made 2 statues for the front gate.  I didn't pay attention to what they were statues of, forgetting about that little feature until later.

When I finally do look to see what they are.  One is a statue of my fortress race founding the fortress.  Ok, that's suitable, I'll buy that.  The other one you ask?  It's a statue of a goblin in the fetal position. It's masterwork.  It doesn't quite strike me as the kinda thing a castle would have on it's front gate, but what the hell, goblins stick invaders on pikes, I make masterwork statues of goblin leaders sucking their thumbs in terror out of supermetal and stick them out front.  That'll show those goblins what's what.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: May 25, 2010, 03:51:46 pm »

In least you get nice statues. I made two statues. One was of a rat. The other was of a group of rats. I'm firing my mason.

True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #3144 on: May 25, 2010, 04:18:01 pm »

In least you get nice statues. I made two statues. One was of a rat. The other was of a group of rats. I'm firing my mason.

Can you imagine a graveyard in the new DF? Instead of solemn statues of dwarves guarding the graves you get an endless parade of donkeys, rats and giant roaches. Not to mention the odd musk ox.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: May 25, 2010, 04:29:46 pm »

But imagine the possibility of having the statue of a swordsdwarf's crowning moment of awesome over his grave.  Statues of roaches and rats and stuff in a graveyard doesn't strike me as odd in a Dwarf Fortress at any rate.  These are the things that engrave masterful renditions of superior engravings of SQUARES into walls and call it art.  I imagine seeing a graveyard like that after walking through a typical engraved hallway wouldn't look odd in the least.

An update on my fortress.  The mayor just got mad because the fortress didn't produce enough gold crap.  So the captain of the guard walks into the food stockpile, and beats some random stoneworker half to death with his mace before walking away, bruising her guts 4 separate times, and breaking both of her wings.  Causing her to vomit all over the booze.  Nobody cares.  Except the mayor apperantly. He immediately mandates the construction of a traction bench.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

LordShotGun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: May 25, 2010, 05:59:38 pm »

I just had one badass kitten get cornered by a kobold thief and then the kitten went bat@#$% insane on the kobold and BEAT THE EVERLOVING CRAP OUT OF HIM.

Also minor bug I guess. In the battle reports (where the kitten eventually shook the kobold by the upperbody, ripping him in half) the kitten was refered to as a "Cat Child".
Must... eat... demon raaaaaaat! ARGLEBARGLEBARGLEBARGLE *CRASH* OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Tastes like... SAAAATAAAAAAAN!

Egregius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: May 25, 2010, 07:40:49 pm »

Man...first time I got sieged by 27 emu birds and 20 jabberers, all ridden by goblins. And then 8 trolls which I at first didn't notice. Is it so part of the sieging force can arrive after the first 'wave'?

Oh, 4 casualties, and lots of blood. Half the invading force left luckily, don't think I could've taken them all unless the human merchants would help.

You modded in Emus? Badass.

Do you have Dropbears as Semi-Megabeasts?

Alright alright, Elk Birds..
Every time I see the letter c I think of cats, then genocide, then delicious stew.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: May 25, 2010, 10:39:35 pm »

Well I just dealt with my first ambush, and boy was it a nightmare.

My defensive wall wasn't set up yet, so the goblins could bypass all my traps. Though this turned out to be the least of my problems. My Dwarves outside apparently didn't decide to head back inside until a minute after I gave the order. By the time my miners and engravers were heading back, the goblins were upon them. Along with my favorite miner (a dwarf who seems to die first in almost all of my fortresses so far), we cut down. Both of my Engravers and a hauler died as well. Eventually the goblins got tired of harassing my workers and tried to siege my base. My military cut them down with two casualties, which is pretty good since it was 9 vs. 18. Only a lone pike goblin managed to escape.

So despite the massive amounts of death that occurred, none of my Dwarves seem phased by it. Most of them are still in very good moods. In fact the only Dwarf who is really upset about it is one of my surviving miners, who has lead a tragic life so far. I have no idea how she lived through the ambush. Last time I saw her about 8 goblins were chasing her down. It may have been because evidently used her baby as a shield, as somehow he died while she escaped. Not only that, but both her arms had been broken during an earlier cave in. In addition to having to shield herself with her own babies mutilated corpse, her husband was also among the only two casualties in the military.

So yeah, I'm not quite sure if she will recover from this. Hope she does, since she's my best miner now.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: May 25, 2010, 11:18:04 pm »

New fort in a serene biome.  the river nearby is home to an army of carp so I've had fishing turned off for the respective dwarf until I think of a good plan (will he fish with a spear if I train him and give him one?)

in fun yet sad news, theres unicorns everywhere and my hunter has very skillfully exterminated many of them (thats the fun part) but once he ran out of ammo I turned off hunting to keep him from being mauled.  of course just after I made this decision he foolishly decided it was a good time to go swimming in carp world. made it out unharmed, but two of his dogs died and he's been absolutely miserable since.  he had a few tantrums and knocked one of my miners out, whos now unconscious.  the other being my bookkeeper, and apparently just a lazy bastard whos always going on breaks, my fortress is more or less on hold.

considering a punishment to my hunter for his transgressions, and just to stave off boredom, perhaps a dip in the carp river will suit him out.. but unrelenting malice can probably be held off until I have more dwarves.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 11:19:35 pm by shoowop »
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 3842