Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109121 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #3000 on: May 20, 2010, 01:15:05 pm »

Immigrant child who grew up?

Eagle_eye: Microcline should be color=cyan.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: May 20, 2010, 01:17:32 pm »

Isaac died yesterday.
Second time this week.
Before I updated he died when I sent him after a goat and he wrestled it for 4 months till he died on his way back to get a drink. He was a high master wrestler too.

In the newest version, he died when running from water and slipped into the hole that was to hold my water for my well. None of his items we're claimed. Not even his body. And his Pick is still in there too.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: May 20, 2010, 01:40:47 pm »

Hi!

Immigrant child who grew up?

He has no relatives in the fortress...

So, I guess I really missed on there...

Deathworks

LordShotGun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: May 20, 2010, 02:45:23 pm »

I JUST HAD A TOWERING CAT FORGOTTEN BEAST RUIN AN AWESOME 8 YEAR FORT...the irony is staggering since as per most forts I was eatting kitten tallow biscuits and building kitten soap roads.
Must... eat... demon raaaaaaat! ARGLEBARGLEBARGLEBARGLE *CRASH* OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Tastes like... SAAAATAAAAAAAN!

Ivar360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: May 20, 2010, 03:06:30 pm »

Switched to the new .04 version and the genesis mod.
I found my first major river on a great spot, the river is next to a 9z lvl cliff in which I built my fort. There is a normal river 10 lvls higher, so I got my mechanics running around the place to create my finest waterfall yet :)
It falls from the river, to my dining hall and down to the major river.

In the dining hall dorfs have 2 levers. the first will set the water in motion falling trough floorgrates surrounded by tables and thrones so they can get a shower while dining :)
When they are done eating and want to enjoy the view of the cliffs they pull the 2nd lever which reroutes the watefall to come down the front side fortifications.

There is also a third lever now finished to make the diner waterfall double as a drowning trap all the way down at my Depot, and a final lever to pump the room empty when the visitors are dead.

Everything seems to be going good for a change, got my magma workshops running, killed a giant and saw the birth of our first baby :)

Now going into steel production and a more effective set of traps.

Only problems so far are the elves, because I get 3 races of elves arriving at the same time and not once have they brought me any animals! Also, the mountainhomes send caravans, but no liaisons.....

bloodtoes

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: May 20, 2010, 03:07:58 pm »

Just had my first direct fight with a forgotten beast. A giant toad with feathers or something. It slaughtered one of my woodcutters who was harvesting tower-caps in a cleared out area of cavern.. apparently iron doors are not enough to hold out a giant toad. Sent the army down, however the encounter took place in a long 1-tile hallway. My Axe Lord met the beast first and fell after doing a ton of damage to it. The next up was a sword master to performed the coupe de gras.

#37, Axe Lord, will be missed. The Toad's remains are now on display outside the fort.
(All my minions, er, dwarves, are numbered).

Immediately following, a pack of 10 goblins decided to invade. They managed to evade detection until they were practically upon me. Many perished in the gauntlet (having an artifact giant axe blade in a weapon trap I'm sure didn't hurt), or by the single ballista arrow I was able to launch. Those that survived scared away the dwarf who was sent to raise the draw bridge. The army was the sent to meet the surviving goblins at the gate, where the goblins were slaughtered and a macedwarf lost an eye. However, I forgot to tell that one dwarf that the bridge need no longer be raised, and he ran in to pull th lever with the entire army standing on it...

Fortunately, they can swim.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 03:13:32 pm by bloodtoes »
Tekkud Udosdakost, Fisherdwarf cancels Fish: interrupted by Carp.
Tekkud Udosdakost has bled to death.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: May 20, 2010, 03:16:10 pm »

Ruthless exploitation of the granite layers to extract their ores and gems...got my jewelers working around the clock and we're smelting bronze left and right (especially for warhammers).  Abundant sand has us producing plenty of glassware, including clear glass windows for decoration around the fort.

The only issue is our ongoing wood shortages, but the caravans have kept us well supplied.  Right now my focus is building up the best-stocked bar in the Mountainhomes.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: May 20, 2010, 03:23:54 pm »

well, I'm working on a very showy way of pumping magma to the forges: a 6 z level fall, with walls of glass. Unfortunately, I have no sand, so I need to import all my clear glass blocks...

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: May 20, 2010, 03:39:20 pm »

well, I'm working on a very showy way of pumping magma to the forges: a 6 z level fall, with walls of glass. Unfortunately, I have no sand, so I need to import all my clear glass blocks...

import sand?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: May 20, 2010, 03:53:24 pm »

um... as I said, this is to pump MAGMA! I'm not going to bother getting a wood burning industry set up just so I can get glass a few months earlier.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: May 20, 2010, 03:56:31 pm »

but you said the reason was because you had no sand. How was I to know!?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: May 20, 2010, 06:12:20 pm »

as a result of very popular dwarves being in the military (I'd forgotten they were so well liked) moods degraded even farther.

I've had several go melencholy of stark raving mad, a small handful going berserk.

this is worse than tantrum spiral...

Went Back tot he version in .03, Enacting emergency Constructions to block LOS.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 06:16:57 pm by lanceleoghauni »
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: May 20, 2010, 07:04:28 pm »

as a result of very popular dwarves being in the military (I'd forgotten they were so well liked) moods degraded even farther.

I've had several go melencholy of stark raving mad, a small handful going berserk.

this is worse than tantrum spiral...

Went Back tot he version in .03, Enacting emergency Constructions to block LOS.

Makes me think that military dwarfs should only socialize with military dwarfs, or that players should make sure the military dwarfs are separate.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: May 20, 2010, 07:09:37 pm »

or just pick dwarves who don't have friends...anywayses, I got the magma pipe working, though not with glass. I'll install windows at some point.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: May 20, 2010, 07:13:12 pm »

If I'd seriously intended to do anything with the military I would have. Even when I DO build barracks in .31 most of the time all they do is gather dust. I'm trying to fix that.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 3842