Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108748 times)

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2895 on: May 16, 2010, 01:26:24 am »

I'm busy savescumming repeatedly trying to lure goblins into the trapped back-door of my fortress. The bait just won't run screaming into the fortress like they should.
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: May 16, 2010, 03:30:18 am »

I'm busy savescumming repeatedly trying to lure goblins into the trapped back-door of my fortress. The bait just won't run screaming into the fortress like they should.

I so feel your pain. I spent half a year with my fort completely locked down because of a single lone solitary goblin pikeman - not even a legendary, just an ordinary joe with a knife on a stick. Every time I tried sending my military out to fight him they got massacred, since nobody's willing to pick up an actual weapon (except my hammerdwarves, who have all picked up crossbows to bludgeon with). I savescummed those failures away because it made no sense. And the goblin was hanging out just around a corner, so whenever I sent civilians or animals out to lure him into my traps they'd wind up meeting him face-to-face and get butchered too.

I was eventually saved when a migrant wave came. The pikeman started chasing an immigrant's pet donkey all over the map, and then apparently at some point realized that he was the only goblin left from the ambushes and decided to flee.

I'm now reengineering my entryway with a series of drawbridges. Attackers will either enter my trap corridor or they will be smushed when the bridges drop. I've now officially given up on using my military for anything other than Forgotten Beast and Troglodyte/Troll control (my cave system is such that sealing off all entrances will be a very large-scale engineering task - very high ceilings everywhere).

The new entryway systems are almost complete so my next major task will be completing and testing the blood removal deluge system I dug the reservoir for during my fort's lockdown. The well and the corridors and caves leading up to it are an absolute cesspit of blood, puss, ichor, and extracts. I hope that a torrential flood of water will reset the contamination levels over a large enough area that my dwarves will be able to make some headway cleaning the rest of the fort up.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #2897 on: May 16, 2010, 04:26:08 am »

Megliditast, a talented wound dresser, talented diagnostician and talented pump operator withdraws from society!

...and he claims craftward's workshop where he proceeds to demand shells among other things.

Oh well, another dwarf is soon to fill my coffins.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: May 16, 2010, 04:35:53 am »

Hi!

First of all, I have to point out that there has been misinformation spread in this thread:

Caged males can impregnate uncaged females.

I have killed all male grizzly bears in my fortress years ago, and yet, shortly after the dwarven caravan arrives, a set of grizzly bear cubs gets born. And I do remember that the elves had cages with bears with them.

Anyhow, my ambitious plans are proceeding fairly well. However, I am still far from completing even a small section of it.

The married couple have been breeding like rabits, worst producing 4 boys, and now 2 miscarriages in a row (I think; as miscarriages are not announced, I have to rely on the thoughts and the female dwarf's mood. Well, she seems to be fine after the most recent loss after I freed up some time for the expedition leader so she could yell at her.

Of course, the second child of that couple likes cats. Who would have thought :) :)

But unless I am missing something, it seems as if it was possible to trade away kittens that have adopted a dwarf without any ill effects.

Deathworks

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: May 16, 2010, 05:25:40 am »

That is some interesting info, Deathworks.

I remember back in 40d, I once embarked with a lot of cats, trying to use them as a main food source. Soon after the beginning I caged most of the cats to reduce the cat population, however strange that might sound.

However, in some moment I got a message of newly born kittens. Checking, I see kittens in[/b] the cage with other cats.

'twas strange, like some cat gave birth despite in a cage. But it could be also that I caged those kittens some time before so they were not those newborns or they magicly teleported there. Who knows.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2900 on: May 16, 2010, 05:41:03 am »

Hi!

Well, I think that people mentioned in the distant past that caging animals could cause a depression among the other individuals of their species resulting in a stop to breeding. But I think we were actually focusing on something else.

Oh well, I hope we will eventually get to the point where impregnation requires physical contact - that would solve such problems and encourage various design options.

While I am slowing channelling out tiles (I don't want to use cave-ins because I don't want to lose any dwarves and I have not dug out lower than the bottom layer of the construction, so I might accidentally breach the cavern layer that way AND ruin my plans for an engraved floor), I have ordered my dwarves to put the chairs and tables into the second dining room. Of course, lazy as they are, they started out moving all the chairs without anyone making a move to move the tables (I have to check whether those tables are heavier than the chairs), so I have not been able to create that dining room yet (^_^;; ).

Deathworks

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: May 16, 2010, 06:34:45 am »

Yay! My first supposedly unkillable forgotten beast! It is made out of vomit!
I am so anxious to see what is my squad of highly trained axedwarfes going to say about this. :D

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: May 16, 2010, 06:37:17 am »

Hi!

Yay! My first supposedly unkillable forgotten beast! It is made out of vomit!
I am so anxious to see what is my squad of highly trained axedwarfes going to say about this. :D

:) :) :) :)

You should try luring it to the surface during a rain shower. Maybe it will get washed away :) :)

It has started raining.
Vomit monster has been struck down.

Deathworks

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: May 16, 2010, 06:42:27 am »

While we are at FBs - is it possible they will be composed of plants?

Like "Plump helmet lizard" or "Longland grass vulture" or something?
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: May 16, 2010, 06:53:20 am »

That is some interesting info, Deathworks.

I remember back in 40d, I once embarked with a lot of cats, trying to use them as a main food source. Soon after the beginning I caged most of the cats to reduce the cat population, however strange that might sound.

However, in some moment I got a message of newly born kittens. Checking, I see kittens in the cage with other cats.

'twas strange, like some cat gave birth despite in a cage. But it could be also that I caged those kittens some time before so they were not those newborns or they magicly teleported there. Who knows.

I'm pretty sure pregnant females put in cages will still give birth.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: May 16, 2010, 07:11:48 am »

Had three megabeasts so far and they've all been Giants. Two giantesses and a two-headed giant humanoid. Must be the only species of megabeast still alive in my world.

Against my better judgement I'm considering opening up cavern #2 and #3 just to have more things to kill. My military is 51 dwarfs strong now (1/3rd of the fortress rounded up). It's just too safe and boring at the moment. I embarked on this Joyous Wilds biome hoping for unicorns but all I got were boring snailmen. So my options are staying on the surface and being safe or going deeper towards almost certain doom. Unkillable FBs are guaranteed if I go down into the lower and more dangerous caverns. But I've put a lot of work into this fortress and I don't want to see it fall. Especially since it would be virtually impossible to reclaim it with immortal FBs wandering the map. Then again, no fort lasts forever, so while writing this I've decided to dig deeper. Helmedkin is headed for fun.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Inspiration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: May 16, 2010, 09:35:22 am »

-snip-
However, in some moment I got a message of newly born kittens. Checking, I see kittens in[/b] the cage with other cats.

Most likely, the cat was impregnated before her incarceration.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: May 16, 2010, 09:52:31 am »

At the moment i have 70 cats, and figuring a way to kill them all.

I am also completing a way death trap device that will drown and push my enemies off into a giant pit.. where the water will drain away and leave them at the bottom to die.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: May 16, 2010, 11:36:07 am »

Caged animals can still give birth, they just don't accept spores.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: May 16, 2010, 12:01:31 pm »

My next fort, once I finish watching every dwarf go berserk from unhappiness and slaughtering everyone, since no one wants to mope here, be be dedicated to collecting animals, making a massive zoo, all linked to one lever. That way, when the tantrum spiral hits, I can order the lever pulled and unleash the beasts.

Edit: My Chief medical dwarf just went berserk in the hospital. Now he is slaughtering his patients.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 3842