Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108533 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2850 on: May 14, 2010, 03:02:47 am »

Magma and SCIENCE and bright cyan metal,
Merchants and siezing the wares that they peddle,
Arenas where titans will enter the ring,
These are a few of the dwarfiest things.

Slaughtering goblins and shooting elves with trees,
Mermaid and unicorn leather industries,
Automatic obsidian casting,
These are some more of the dwarfiest things.

When the fort floods
Titan blood stings
And some Fun is had
I just think up all the dwarfiest things
And my dwarves are screwed so bad.

...I can't get that song out of my head, so I'm adapting it to DF. Then, I'll build a fort doing everything in the song. Any more ideas?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 06:46:00 am by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: May 14, 2010, 03:58:41 am »

Any more ideas?

Oh, this is beautiful. Someone needs to round up the dwarven poetry and songs and whatnot.

Ok. Suggestions.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Would you rather I spent a while thinking/adding my own verse?

EDITx2: Too late!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 05:36:09 am by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: May 14, 2010, 04:07:10 am »

Magma and SCIENCE and bright cyan metal,
Merchants and siezing the wares that they peddle,
Arenas where titans will enter the ring,

Slaughtering goblins, elves die by trees,
Mermaid and unicorn leather industries,
Auto obsidian casting,
These are some more of the dwarfiest things.

When the fort floods
Titan blood stings
And some Fun is had
I just think up all the dwarfiest things
And my dwarves are screwed so bad.

Nevermind, I like yours better :)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 04:17:10 am by Rex_Nex »

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: May 14, 2010, 04:35:14 am »

Any more ideas?
How's this?

100z well shafts and long-bearded sages
Trapping bezerking mad dwarves in glass cages
Pressurized Fountains that simulate springs

Auto-mat-Butchers and Diplo-mat-Cages
Sending Attackers through Borg Logic Mazes
dropping poor creatures from very high heights
These are a few of the Dwarfiest sights

[CHORUS]

I'm beginning to think this should get posted in the Dwarven Drinking Songs thread.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 05:38:08 am by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: May 14, 2010, 05:21:56 am »

Oh crap. I just got a fey mood. Of my weaponsmith. But I have no anvil. Luckily, it's autumn so the caravan should arrive any time now. And because of some weirdness (or maybe because I set the cavern's water-level to zero) I had no underground plants whatsoever. No sweet pods, no plump helmets, no tower caps, nothing. Also, I've hit a couple veins of lignite/bituminous coal and a cluster of magnetite, with a vein of limonite going through it. And I just discovered platinum. The best part? All of this in a dolomite layer. And the caravan just showed up! Let's hope now that he doesn't need any shell...

EDIT: And of course, he went mental just before I could trade... And the caravan also lacked all sorts of underground vegetation. Because of this, I have decided to move aboveground. However, I've never really tried this. Any hints, tips, pointers?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 05:37:26 am by Kidiri »
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: May 14, 2010, 05:41:59 am »

Because of this, I have decided to move aboveground. However, I've never really tried this. Any hints, tips, pointers?

Disable hauling of wood and food and stuff on your woodcutter. Also assign your woodcutter to harvest plants.
This will be your woodcutter's actual job until things get stable. He chops down trees, he eats his lunch, he likes to pick wild flow'rs.
[/quote]

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: May 14, 2010, 06:51:24 am »

Because of this, I have decided to move aboveground. However, I've never really tried this. Any hints, tips, pointers?

Disable hauling of wood and food and stuff on your woodcutter. Also assign your woodcutter to harvest plants.
This will be your woodcutter's actual job until things get stable. He chops down trees, he eats his lunch, he likes to pick wild flow'rs.
The basic industries have already started. It's just the infrastructure of how everything needs to be done and such. I've made my planter/brewer/cook herbalist as well. I think I'll make this post as a note to self as to what I need for a fort. Because If I don't I'm pretty sure I'll forget something. And even if I do now, I'll have a whole community ready to tell me so.

Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: May 14, 2010, 10:38:31 am »

Hi!

Kidiri: You probably have already noticed that getting a surface fortress running is actually quite easy. However there are a few things:

If you are playing 31.03, you may get problems with the blood spreading. There is currently not much you can do about that except for never building roofs over any aboveground tiles.

I recommend having additional walls within your walls and outside to break the line of sight for goblin archers/crossbowmen. Otherwise, you could get a nasty surprise if some of them get past your outer walls - surface fortresses are generally more open than underground ones, so you need to be careful with that.

I also recommend at least some light weapon traps. If you don't care about the sieges, you can do really nasty siege eating things, but otherwise, I recommend having traps that will at least wound if not kill deer, raccoons, foxes, and the like before they scare your dwarves.

Deathworks

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #2858 on: May 14, 2010, 10:51:20 am »

Right now a fishery worker has dragged the following items in his fey-mood furry:
2x black pyropes
1x resin opals
1x tanzinites
1x rough tanzinites
1x rough black pyropes
1x rough faint yellow diamond
1x rough star sapphir

Oh just what is ol' maniac up to?
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: May 14, 2010, 11:00:31 am »

Hi!

Right now a fishery worker has dragged the following items in his fey-mood furry:
2x black pyropes
1x resin opals
1x tanzinites
1x rough tanzinites
1x rough black pyropes
1x rough faint yellow diamond
1x rough star sapphir

Oh just what is ol' maniac up to?

:) :) :) :)

I bet he'll make an iron mug :) :) :)

By the way, I am absolutely sure now that Toady One will release the next version tomorrow: My dwarves in my doomed fortress (to be abandoned/deleted when the new version comes out) have begun breeding in the year 1076 (^_^;;

But even so, I am hopeful about getting something ready for the map archive.

Deathworks

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #2860 on: May 14, 2010, 11:14:16 am »

No iron mug, sadly.

Instead he created:

Shithathkirar, "Perishright", a black pyrope...earring[/b].

Beside being encicrled with diamond and saphire it also features an image of an artifact faint yellow fiamond bed (yes, BED), that was also made not while ago in my fort.

Its worth a nice amount of 168000 dwarfbucks.

It also seems some of the gems I listed were not actually used in it's creation but rather sit there, tasked by some hauling jobs or whatnot. Or they are not mentioned in artifacts description.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: May 14, 2010, 12:21:52 pm »

No iron mug, sadly.

Instead he created:

Shithathkirar, "Perishright", a black pyrope...earring[/b].

Beside being encicrled with diamond and saphire it also features an image of an artifact faint yellow fiamond bed (yes, BED), that was also made not while ago in my fort.

Its worth a nice amount of 168000 dwarfbucks.

It also seems some of the gems I listed were not actually used in it's creation but rather sit there, tasked by some hauling jobs or whatnot. Or they are not mentioned in artifacts description.
If there was TSK next to the material, chances are it was being used. And please tell me the image of the bed was in faint yellow diamond...
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.

Mordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: May 14, 2010, 01:01:37 pm »

Another caravan got ambushed on its way in, human this time.  The goblin archers managed to gun down one of the baggage beasts before the guards and my dwarves chased off the rest.  The caravan decided to leave immediately and my dwarves ran out and claimed the 5000 items on that dead mule.

Any idea on what to do with endless amounts of cloth?
This Forgotten Beast was delicious!

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: May 14, 2010, 01:04:16 pm »

Hi!

Any idea on what to do with endless amounts of cloth?

Make clothes for all your dwarves from head to toe!
That sounds like a superficial idea, but think about it: in 31.xx (which I assume you are playing), even clothes offer some additional protection against attacks. Thus, it should be a good way to give all your dwarves at least some basic protection.

Deathworks

SpacemanSpiff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: May 14, 2010, 05:46:25 pm »

After starting and abandoning many forts as I learned the game, I've finally found something worth defending in WhisperedDye. It's my best embark site so far, with a brook that comes out of a tropical broadleaf forest and then forms a 5-z waterfall as it falls off a mountain plateau. I've dug my fortress behind the waterfall, with a central core of rooms open to the mist. My dwarves are ecstatic and more migrants arrive every season, drawn by the stories of the waterfall. Meanwhile my miners are digging seams of hematite and coal out of the limestone, providing all the raw materials to get my first militia squad into steel armor. No real threats yet, although elephants often wander through the forest. A human caravan ran into one, and a mace-wielding guard proceeded to take the elephant down single-handed, breaking all its legs till it fell over from the pain, and then pounding on its skull till it died.

Just as I finished trading with the caravan, my militia captain unexpectedly gave birth, and then a goblin snatcher bumped into a farmer hauling trade goods. The farmer charged past the goblin, was almost stabbed in the back for his troubles, and was only saved by a nearby miner (also on hauling duties) who whacked the goblin in the thigh with his pick. At this point the goblin decided to run, but with his injured leg he couldn't outrun my militia captain, who was now sprinting after him waving a sword and her newborn baby. She caught up with the goblin just outside my main entrance, and with three quick sword-strokes she broke his left arm, disabled his right hand, and then stabbed him in the gut. The goblin barely had time to get enraged before he gave in to pain and fell over, and then an axe-dwarf ran up and decapitated him. So my fortress's first baby came into the world, was rushed into combat, saw her mother do a great impersonation of Zorro, and is now covered in goblin blood, all before she's a month old. Good times.
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 3842