Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108332 times)

CaveLobsterShell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2790 on: May 11, 2010, 02:15:33 pm »

My fort is built for turtling in. I quickly closed off my farming area in the first cavern layer, and now two forgotten beasts roam around outside those walls, taking occasional dips in the underground lakes. Outdoors, a huge square of cage traps every 4-5 tiles rings the 2x2 embark, and is my first line of defense. The second line is in my outdoor bunker - two doors lead to another series of cage traps, which will eventually be replaced with giant steel axe blades.

The humans decided to siege me recently, probably because their skink fiend (or some such) liaison was destroyed by the goblins that were sieging me at the time, although not before giving some of them fevers. Anyway, the humans just hung out in a corner, wearing all the grass down in a cute little circle. Then two squads of goblins also chose to siege me. Both squads were riding creatures - jabberers, cave crawlers, giant bats and other assorted beasties, while only the leader of the human squad rode a horse.

Meanwhile, my armorsmith and my arsenal dwarf were busy outfitting my 20-strong militia (in a population of ~95) with steel everything, while mechanics set up what will be a massive arena for disposing of caged goblins and simultaneously training military skills. Each Axedwarf (they ALL have axes - other melee weapons are inefficient, and crossbows are iffy) also has 3-4 war dogs at the ready.

Unfortunately, by the time I felt my dwarves were ready, the goblins had already retreated, even though they arrived after the humans. Quitters... I flung open the gates and sent both squads pell-mell towards the human squad. They made short work of the humans, and civilians were dispatched to start cleaning up, dragging the dozens of cages inside (the leader of one of the goblin squads managed to get both his jabberer and himself caught in different cages, with no other captures from his team) and chopping down more wood. Five of the militia dragged themselves to the hospital, where my doctors are trying to take care of them. One has already died of blood loss, and unfortunately he was my militia commander, so I had to do the squad-leader juggle to retain the rest of the squad.

That's where things stand right now. I'm pleased the military did as well as it did. I'm also pleased that my idlers have been fluctuating between 0-6 (six when my non-hauling miners run out of tasks) for several years, and that I have a fort spanning about 45 z-levels with no staircases at all (a large central spire runs the whole way, with a direction switch and some detours around cave layers, and room for traps and walls, should it come to that). Soon the military will be leveling higher by piling on some goblins released one at a time...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 02:18:34 pm by CaveLobsterShell »
The funniest part being a dwarf actually butchered the stupid thing.  Necrotic poison is the tastiest of spices.

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2791 on: May 11, 2010, 05:45:13 pm »

Phase 1 complete  :D
Upper cavern - sealed, resource gathering underway.
lower cavern - beachhead secured, magma pipe covered awaiting smelters and forges
The depths - identified upper limit of magma sea, unexplored as yet.

with a big new influx of dwarfs from the homeland, I'm up to 40 including children and our first baby.

the legendary, noble, and journeyman rooms are dug and assigned, newly dug peasant dormitory needs finishing, luckily the cavern provides plenty of wood for beds.
hospital zone is designated with access to the water tank for another well (aside from the 4 serving the dining room).

much more work is needed setting up workshops, I have the basics sorted out but not well segregated or organised yet.

thought it was rather funny that I have a Gorlark's nose in my bonyard.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: May 11, 2010, 05:48:07 pm »

Im currently burying 20 odd dwarfs after a horrendous NightWing attack

Aftermath

I forgot to mention, the Nightwing thrashed 1/2 of my Fortress to death with... a pig tail robe...

Ive lost the reports but here is the artifact made a year later after much strife and recooperation.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: May 11, 2010, 09:11:04 pm »

Erushlaz, Handlescales, the engraved mountain hill. I turned off invaders and set the pop cap to 40 but now have 81 dwarfs mostly due to births. And 3 mayors, all of whom make constant demands. On the plus side, I've smoothed the hill part of my fortress, and begun engraving sections of it in 11x11 blocks by individual engravers. Plus I smoothed and engraved all the boulders and stone ground in the forest area.

"Hey Urist!" "Yes, Urist?" "I have a great idea. Let's engrave pictures of trees onto the boulders so the elves won't notice when we cut down the forest."

It's also 1057 and I don't have private rooms for the non-mayors yet. It's working out rather well. I did start making clothing for all the nude children and dwarfs with clothes that have rotted away. Oops. :)
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Zathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: May 12, 2010, 06:17:23 am »

Erushlaz, Handlescales, the engraved mountain hill. I turned off invaders and set the pop cap to 40 but now have 81 dwarfs mostly due to births. And 3 mayors, all of whom make constant demands. On the plus side, I've smoothed the hill part of my fortress, and begun engraving sections of it in 11x11 blocks by individual engravers. Plus I smoothed and engraved all the boulders and stone ground in the forest area.

"Hey Urist!" "Yes, Urist?" "I have a great idea. Let's engrave pictures of trees onto the boulders so the elves won't notice when we cut down the forest."

It's also 1057 and I don't have private rooms for the non-mayors yet. It's working out rather well. I did start making clothing for all the nude children and dwarfs with clothes that have rotted away. Oops. :)

That reminds me... how to you actually get dwarfs to pick up new clothes? I have piles of free clothing in stockpiles but they still run around in tattered rags they embarked with.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: May 12, 2010, 06:29:43 am »

That reminds me... how to you actually get dwarfs to pick up new clothes? I have piles of free clothing in stockpiles but they still run around in tattered rags they embarked with.

give them rooms with cabinets in them to store the old rags and things usually work themselves out.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

kurokikaze

• Bay Watcher
  • Man of the black wind
    • View Profile
    • Mechanical World
« Reply #2796 on: May 12, 2010, 08:32:51 am »

Previous story is continued:

The miner is stuck in his bunker finally (he was removing the ramps in the moat, and moat was connected to bunker by coincedence). Meanwhile, two final rescue bridge tiles are installed in place. I order my military to move to the shore and hold the ground while fortress miners are finishing the moat. When the moat is nearly finished, I am visited by one Gorlak, whom my military chopped to pieces - one dwarf has to chase him for ~20 tiles and I was afraid he'll attract some more creatures, but that doesn't happen.

So, the shore was protected by moat, leaving just one tile of passage, guarded by military. I order my miners to channel last tile to fill the moat with water from cavern lake. While the moat was filling, I decided to look over the newly captured territory and...

OH CRAP.

My miner, the one washed on shore, still was in his bunker, which was still connected to moat. And moat was connected to lake. Miner was standing in 1/7 water. I quickly ordered up and downstairs — upstairs were dug by trapped miner, downstairs — by expedition leader. Miner escaped his watery grave just in time, and soon after lever-controlled stone door was installed in only passage from shore to cavern. The only cavern wildlife visiting me was Gorlak, rutherers and blind ogres lurked somewhere deeper in cavern all the time, but doesn't come closer.

Now I'm thinking of building ballista to shoot over the moat, in case some wildlife will show up near my piece of shore.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 08:54:36 am by kurokikaze »
It's black as pitch 'cause we're trapped by our violent souls
In a deep mine, where deep rhymes won't keep my self-control
Too many foes, we feel snakebit, and we won't take it
Enemies need their face hit, we goin' ape shit!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: May 12, 2010, 08:37:37 am »

Use catapults. Untipped ballista arrows don't do crap, and every fort has more stone than the player knows what to do with.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

kurokikaze

• Bay Watcher
  • Man of the black wind
    • View Profile
    • Mechanical World
« Reply #2798 on: May 12, 2010, 08:48:35 am »

Use catapults. Untipped ballista arrows don't do crap, and every fort has more stone than the player knows what to do with.

Yep, I have plenty of stone, to think of, and not that much wood (forests are ~110 z-levels up). I also may build retractable bridges to collect the loot.
It's black as pitch 'cause we're trapped by our violent souls
In a deep mine, where deep rhymes won't keep my self-control
Too many foes, we feel snakebit, and we won't take it
Enemies need their face hit, we goin' ape shit!

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: May 12, 2010, 09:53:30 am »

The first of the three caverns is nearly completely walled off, except for the water areas. I'm building floors over the water and then I'll put in walls at the edge. This would go faster, but since walls make floor tiles above them, trolls keep wandering in from off the edge of the map and standing on top of the partially finished walls so my masons can't complete the job. My archers just stare at the trolls in utter bewilderment rather than shooting them off the walls. I need to get this finished quickly before any indestructible beasts appear.

I'm going to wall off each of the three caverns as I reach them. Then work my way to the bottom of the map slowly and carefully. I will not lose another fort to those underground bastards.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2800 on: May 12, 2010, 12:05:54 pm »

The first of the three caverns is nearly completely walled off, except for the water areas. I'm building floors over the water and then I'll put in walls at the edge. This would go faster, but since walls make floor tiles above them, trolls keep wandering in from off the edge of the map and standing on top of the partially finished walls so my masons can't complete the job. My archers just stare at the trolls in utter bewilderment rather than shooting them off the walls. I need to get this finished quickly before any indestructible beasts appear.

I'm going to wall off each of the three caverns as I reach them. Then work my way to the bottom of the map slowly and carefully. I will not lose another fort to those underground bastards.

I had exactly that situation with my afore mentioned gorlark, cost me one of my starting miners and set my plans back about a year  >:(
back on track now though, due to a rather large migrant wave. I'm ready to head out through my beachhead on cave -3 and start sealing that one, but I get the feeling that as the number of entrances drop, the creatures have less and less places to spawn, until there is only one. we'll see.

Mordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: May 12, 2010, 12:30:33 pm »

I have squatters in my fort.  Elves.  They've been there a few seasons now, sitting in the trade depot, doing nothing.  Evidently during their trade visit a gobbo got past my traps and managed to cut on of their feet off.  So now they just stand there, never leaving.  I guess they aren't smart enough to use one of the four hundred crutches they tend to bring with themselves to trade.  I guess i'll just have to eliminate them in a creative manner.

This Forgotten Beast was delicious!

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: May 12, 2010, 12:36:46 pm »

Hi!

I have squatters in my fort.  Elves.  They've been there a few seasons now, sitting in the trade depot, doing nothing.  Evidently during their trade visit a gobbo got past my traps and managed to cut on of their feet off.  So now they just stand there, never leaving.  I guess they aren't smart enough to use one of the four hundred crutches they tend to bring with themselves to trade.  I guess i'll just have to eliminate them in a creative manner.

Have you tried deconstructing the trade depot once the dwarven caravan has left? That may get them to find the resolve to leave (at least those who can walk).

Deathworks

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: May 12, 2010, 12:49:46 pm »

"I know, I'll build grates in front of my water sources so the blood and such that my dwarves wash off will fall through and not make a mess  :)"

Turns out I have the most crappily-built grates known to dwarf, since there are several pools of blood sitting directly on top of them. Either that or goblin blood is REALLY thick.  :(
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: May 12, 2010, 12:52:09 pm »

"I know, I'll build grates in front of my water sources so the blood and such that my dwarves wash off will fall through and not make a mess  :)"

Turns out I have the most crappily-built grates known to dwarf, since there are several pools of blood sitting directly on top of them. Either that or goblin blood is REALLY thick.  :(

Theres a bunch of issues going on with contaminants (especially blood) and flow, and cleaning, so that's probably it.
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 3842