Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108228 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2745 on: May 10, 2010, 09:17:05 am »

Canyonlance map (link)

Not much to say except that it's a good example of designs using ramps instead of stairs. I get steady 100FPS on this type of map without any problems. Feel free to examine my designs and comment if you feel like it.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: May 10, 2010, 10:45:13 am »

In my fort I'm upgrading the military to all steel armour. The Elvish caravan arrives at my outdoor depot. I order all of the copper, bronze and iron armour brought to the trade depot just so I can get rid of it. Just as that finishes a Vile Force of Darkness arrives! There's no time to lose! Screw Broker only, any dwarf can trade, just sell that crap to the elves in time to get back inside the gates!

So who arrives to cut the deal? My arsenal dwarf.

This game is awesome.

Epilogue: I offer the lot for the caged elephants, giant tigers and grizzlies. 67K worth for 3K. And get the 'noble tree / worthless bauble' response. Yeah. Something's decorated with wood all right. Fine. Seize the cages! Muahaha!

And with that I forbade all my goods at the depot, put the fortress in lockdown mode and watched the arsenal dwarf scamper inside just as the speargoblins led by that bowgoblin riding an elkbird came swarming over the hill. Hey man. The elves *could* have been changing into decent gear but no, they prefer it their way. Oh well!

That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: May 10, 2010, 02:36:58 pm »

Hi!

I let my miners dig on, even though I don't think I will get anywhere near finishing even the lower section. I mean, after a few years, they have not even mined out a third of what needs to be mined out, not to mention that nearly all of that needs to be channelled out for finishing it (^_^;;

I am also now down to 12 dwarves as my cat-loving woodcutter has followed an old, horrible tradition: He went insane (melancholy) and died of thirst. Another indication that I had been pushing them too hard.

Deathworks

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: May 10, 2010, 03:35:25 pm »

I'm currently testing an anti-HFS cave-in trap that (if I'm right) will go off in about a minute and features (in my test) five sequential blasts over the same general area. I'll also be able to adapt it for sieges.

EDIT: The test video is up.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 03:51:46 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: May 10, 2010, 03:44:28 pm »

Im currently burying 20 odd dwarfs after a horrendous NightWing attack  :'( . Seems that all of the millittia id told to arm themselves all decided to be wrestlers instead.
All seemed lost, dead and dying everywhere, luckily the nightwing stayed above ground. A raiding goblin party started attacking while the Nightwing was finishing off the dwarfs and livestock that didnt heed the Burrow order. The Gobs finished off the Nightwing and then slowly fell victim to my traps. Luckily i had a lot of food stored and could just keep everyone inside while it all cooled off.
Im now trying to keep a lid on the few mad dwarfs driven insane by wading in the blood of their kinsmen in the once serence Statue-garden / Zoo, they repeatedly try to wash the blood off themselves but keep getting interrupted because theyve lost the plot.

Aftermath:

Im building a lot of coffins....
And trying to train some crossbowmen (if they dont all decide to hit things with the crossbows instead of fire them :|).

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: May 10, 2010, 04:18:38 pm »

So Im currently trying to put down a naked mole dog invasion and not having much luck mostly because my military spends most of its time chasing the little bugger rather than killing them. To make it worse one found its way into my booze stock pile and in a matter of seconds drank 346 units out of nearly 500 units of booze. Gona recurit the whole fort to put down this menace.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: May 10, 2010, 04:25:40 pm »

Back to DF 2010 yet again...I was just too spoiled by the abundance of minerals to really go back to 40d.  I turned off invaders to compromise, so all I'll be dealing with is FB's and the like. 

But...so much magnetite, everywhere.  In a chalk layer no less.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: May 10, 2010, 04:36:16 pm »

Preparing a rapid-fire magma-water trap to deal with unkillable forgotten monsters.  6x6 iron bridge goodness to drop an entire layer of water on something, followed a moment later by an entire layer of magma.  It better work since I got two of them now, one a definite unkillable("blob made of water").  Next up, the water-pressure driven timing sequencer for rapid fire operation to make two or more layers of obsidian in one shot...
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: May 10, 2010, 06:23:17 pm »

Back to DF 2010 yet again...I was just too spoiled by the abundance of minerals to really go back to 40d.  I turned off invaders to compromise, so all I'll be dealing with is FB's and the like. 

Chalk's commonly known for exceedingly high amounts of iron ores. 2010 is no different in that respect. Embarking on a chalk layer's almost like cheating.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: May 10, 2010, 06:27:13 pm »

Preparing a rapid-fire magma-water trap to deal with unkillable forgotten monsters.  6x6 iron bridge goodness to drop an entire layer of water on something, followed a moment later by an entire layer of magma.  It better work since I got two of them now, one a definite unkillable("blob made of water").  Next up, the water-pressure driven timing sequencer for rapid fire operation to make two or more layers of obsidian in one shot...

What's the other beast?

Chalk's commonly known for exceedingly high amounts of iron ores. 2010 is no different in that respect. Embarking on a chalk layer's almost like cheating.

I prefer limestone and marble layers myself. Malachite is pretty.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: May 10, 2010, 07:38:34 pm »

Finished my diagonal mining layers (11% of the area is mined and 100% revealed). Makes really cool patterns too.

Top layer:

One of the middle layers:
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: May 10, 2010, 07:45:55 pm »

Do I see THREE Star Rubies in that bauxite cluster?!

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: May 10, 2010, 08:22:00 pm »

Really?  I always found dolomite to be more productive for magnetite...chalk always seems to be up to its eyeballs in bituminous coal and limonite/hematite veins comparatively.  But then again, this is the first time I've actually embarked on the stuff since 40d; back then, it WAS productive, but not THIS productive.  Either way, so much ore...of course, I turned invaders off for the time being so I'll be focusing more on using it for crafts and whatnot than weapons and armor.  Although exporting those might be an interesting alternative to just more crafts.

You learn something new every embark...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 08:24:47 pm by Vercingetorix »
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: May 10, 2010, 08:29:09 pm »

Dolomite has talc. FUCKTONS of it. Replacing the magnetite.

Ralith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: May 10, 2010, 08:40:31 pm »

Unknown, still generating. 257x257 relatively picky (274 rejections) with 50 titans and 20 civs, year 200/7500 so far. I would not be too surprised if I crashed before it got done. Or if it was still running tommorow when I get home.
Sig to be updated momentarily.
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 3842