Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108157 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2700 on: May 08, 2010, 02:55:00 am »

Just had a fairly large siege force arrive. Including... a troll cook, animal trainer, engraver, and trader. Seems that they're more advanced than the goblins.
"I Ugh, Ugh engrave. Ugh engrave your face!"

Ugh hear dwarves made of stone. Ugh come to find out!

Ugh has come to siege you fortress, and make strawberry biscuits.

PETS! Ugh come to get new pets! Dwarves be pets now!

Ugh have five lessons in Troll school!
Ugh sell your bones for pretties!
Ugh friend Trader Jug trades fists for bones!
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

detsuo04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: May 08, 2010, 03:29:32 am »

This is the first fortress i have ever made that is attracting "the incoming king" :D

Pheonix_RE

• Bay Watcher
  • (sic)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: May 08, 2010, 08:44:10 am »

My fort kinda attracted a fair amount of migrants this year. How many? At the beginning of the year, there were only the starting seven. There are now 44; there were 45 but a metalworker went insane when he got possessed and needed a metalsmith's forge, which I didn't have at the time.
My military now has 4 Champion wrestlers and another coming up. I'm going to have to make some weapons and some other types of military peoples... but that can wait a while.
It is now winter, and food and drink supplies are running low. The poorly-designed well is filling up very slowly.

EDIT: Oh yeah. Completely forgot to mention the artifact wooden chest my (sadly possessed) moody carpenter made. It's now sitting in the dining room/office of the sheriff.

EDIT 2: Also it seems to be sandy LOAM, not actual sand. My glassmaking business will have to wait until another fort.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 09:27:45 am by Pheonix_RE »

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #2703 on: May 08, 2010, 09:53:13 am »

I created a task force. A squad of ten, full plate armour, all steel. Steel shield, steel axes. This squad has trained for quite some time now in their barracks on one of the levels of 1st Cavern.
This squad would be as any other if it's training would not include eventual swimming course.
For they were ment to patrol the Caverns, so they were to be trained to survive no matter the harsh conditions.

But my swimming pool had a near fatal flaw. Basicaly, It was a 5x5 room with one entrance, srew pump output connected to infinite water supply and two channels, covered by hatches that would open by the pull of the lever. Doing this, water would flow two or thre z levels down and exit through fortifications and back to infinite water supply.
This fortifications were ment to protect us from the things that would come FROM the caverns.

But as mentioned, the Flaw.

Channels in the pool were not covered by grates.
On their first day of their familiarizing with the water, almost every member of the squad was sucked in when the hatches openned.
Sucked down, down and then pushed THROUGH the fortifications.
A quick move order was issued. Some soldiers were able to move ashore. Some were sucked to the lowest pump supplying water above.

Another few moments and "remove construction" orders latter, nearly everyone was saved.
Only one drowned.
Two were hospitalized, both requirind wound dressing, bone setting, immobilization.
And after some time, even these two are just step away from being fully healed.

But all this is unimportant.
What is inportant is that one of those two dorfs that suffered injuries is now walking around with an artifact steel splint called "Chopskewer the Defective Cloisters" which, apart from all them spikes, studding etc., also features a picture of a mortal wounding of a goblin.

This game...is awesome.

edit:

Look at this. Just look at this.

This is what I'm telling you.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 10:32:20 am by Sinistar »
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: May 08, 2010, 10:04:43 am »

My fort kinda attracted a fair amount of migrants this year. How many? At the beginning of the year, there were only the starting seven. There are now 44; there were 45 but a metalworker went insane when he got possessed and needed a metalsmith's forge, which I didn't have at the time.
My military now has 4 Champion wrestlers and another coming up. I'm going to have to make some weapons and some other types of military peoples... but that can wait a while.
It is now winter, and food and drink supplies are running low. The poorly-designed well is filling up very slowly.

EDIT: Oh yeah. Completely forgot to mention the artifact wooden chest my (sadly possessed) moody carpenter made. It's now sitting in the dining room/office of the sheriff.

EDIT 2: Also it seems to be sandy LOAM, not actual sand. My glassmaking business will have to wait until another fort.

If you're in 0.31.X you can trade for sand. Glass windows and portals as far as the eye can see!

Zathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: May 08, 2010, 10:12:07 am »

Waiting for inevitable siege that's bound to come very soon. It has to, after I made and sold a crapton of gold crafts. I made a siege entrance, put some weapon traps there, tested them on a goblin ambush (goblins come in, minced meat com... no, actually it flies everywhere). I am reluctant to just entrust my defense to built traps (seems like cheating) so I'll probably do either a magma pit/retractable bridge trap or magma murder-holes, depending on how much effort I'll want to put in it. It's a damn shame marksdwarves are bugged (or I just can't seem to find a workaround, anyone managed to make them shoot in 0.31.03?).

Antilope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: May 08, 2010, 10:12:27 am »

dry biome, ambush including orc shamans (genesis mod) met elven trade caravans. several slung fireballs later, all of my forest looked like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

caught in the fire were severall dorfs, too.
of course they had to be lovers and good friends of my legendary/noble dwarves.
I'm doing my best at the moment to avoid a tantum spiral...

Pheonix_RE

• Bay Watcher
  • (sic)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: May 08, 2010, 11:16:23 am »

If you're in 0.31.X you can trade for sand. Glass windows and portals as far as the eye can see!

Sadly I'm using .28, and will be until some of the most debilitating bugs are fixed up.
My population is up to sixtysomething now. The lack of any goblin ambushes so far is nice... but it's also disconcerting. When will I be able to unleash my five champion wrestlers onto the horde?
Also had a minor food/alcohol deficit panic, but I bought out all the food from the human caravan and things are better now.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: May 08, 2010, 11:20:09 am »

Hi!

My fortress is now 10 years old and I still have had no marriages. So, I am trying my best to reduce activity so as to give them a chance to socialize - but there is always a little something to do, some more trade goods to prepare (^_^;;

It is so hard to resists the temptation (T_T)

Deathworks

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: May 08, 2010, 02:58:12 pm »

Akur Akir Akam!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: May 08, 2010, 03:56:21 pm »

And Ugh is all out of strawberries...

Ivar360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: May 08, 2010, 04:55:40 pm »

Just started my first fort by the sea... so far I'm puzzled by the driftwood and other trinkets washing ashore, as I cant seem to claim them :/
This will also be my first fort with some modding, making my dorfs go insanely fast and never sleep :D
Planning to see if I can build part of the fort above the sea, maybe kill a whale or summing...

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: May 08, 2010, 06:30:05 pm »

Got pissed with the buggy military in 2010 (ironically after I set up a 100% perfectly functional hospital and hit adamantine), gave up, and went back to 40d to hone my skills in magma engineering. 

I figure I'll switch back once the next round of bugfixes comes out because I miss those gigantic magnetite and hematite veins...not to mention those caverns.  Dem caverns, man, dem caverns.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: May 08, 2010, 08:39:48 pm »

Just had a fairly large siege force arrive. Including... a troll cook, animal trainer, engraver, and trader. Seems that they're more advanced than the goblins.

Ugh will smash you, and bash you, and call you George!
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: May 08, 2010, 09:19:02 pm »

Ugh will smash you, and bash you, and call you George!
Ugh want more jok--

And as Urist McMarksdwarf killed off Ugh, he knew that he had done the world a favor by destroying yet another quote pyramid.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 3842