Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6107737 times)

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2685 on: May 07, 2010, 03:30:05 am »

They might catch some... uh.. Awesome. xD

Oh, I found the blob of vomit. He fell into a pool of water. He can't get out, so I'm going to leave him be, since winter is only two months away, and the pool will freeze, which should insta-kill him, right?
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: May 07, 2010, 03:35:38 am »

Yep, just remember to cave-in on him after his body melts just to be sure. :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: May 07, 2010, 03:38:28 am »

Yeah, that way, I'll know for a fact that he's dead. You can never use too much... -Insert generic dwarf method here-

Ooh, now that my dwarves have met/defeated some forgotten beasts, I'm gonna start building statues. Maybe they'll build some of these beasts. If they do, I'm lining my fort with them. O:

EDIT: Ugh. Damn thing escaped right before the water froze. I'm going to bed. x_x

Edit2: After Careful planning, from reloading the save, I managed to trap the thing in solid ice. He's not going anywhere. Time to build a floor over him. >.>
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 08:58:32 am by Kamudo »
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

Ivar360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: May 07, 2010, 09:33:21 am »

I built my latest fort with the sieges turned off, so I could focus on the caves and all its Fun creatures.
Everything went well, I have a the fort runnning nicely with 99 dorfs in it, a baron even showed up, and I have a 10 dorf militia.
All military dorfs are dressed in full iron gear and armed with iron axes.

At first, I entertained myself by clearing the caves of Elk birds, Blind ogre's and hungry heads.
After some time, that got old, and I turned sieges back on, not knowing if it works that way... No sieges or Forgotten beasts yet, but  a LOT more creatures in the caves coming up. My room with caged animals can no longer hold them all, So i made a pit, threw in the nasties + all my kittens, cubs worms and anything tame.
Sadly, the miasma coming from the pit prevented me from seeing the fun, and dwarves did not dare come close to it as they were too afraid of the troll inside.

This too got old pretty quick, so I decided to let some of my prisoners free in the fort. I chose a cave aligator and giant cave spider, as those are supposedly pretty nasty.

They went on a little rampage together, killing about 7 grizzlies and 2 dorfs, while my army decided to ignore my orders to come clean house... when they did, I was dissapointed by the giant spider who took only seconds to slaughter.

I'm about to give up on this fort. I did notice a new guest this time, a gremlin. Again, too weak to be a real threat. If my fps would allow it, I might dig for the HFS, but for now I will open the doors and see how long the fort can last without my input :)

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: May 07, 2010, 10:14:59 am »

I started up a game of 40d Dig Deeper.
Semi-randomly (didn't use finder) found myself a nice embark on a forked river which turned out to be really sweet.
Decided to build a half-above half-below fortress/castle against the river. Things went pretty well to start, well, that is except for my expedition leader/bookkeeper/miner falling into the river after a small cave in... and my axedwarf/wood cutter fell into the river while chasing geese... But, I mean, other than that things were going well and got better when I got a huge immigration wave taking me from 5 to 27 dwarves in one pop.

Everyone got integrated into my fort quickly and well. Things were really working out when my first orc siege showed up. I had a small military of four legendary wrestlers that only just got equipped with steel axes and steel chainmail moments before, but no trained archers other than a hunter and no siege engines or engineers up and running. So I shut myself in.
I don't like playing with traps or deathworks much, since it makes the game entirely too easy. So I initiated a plan to get a siege engine in place to fire on the orcs. I would open and close a bridge to lure the orcs closer, and ultimately into the line of fire of my newly built catapult range (minus the actual catapult, at that point... but it was coming). Making the range was a rush too, since I had to breach a sheer dirt wall and quickly build a stone wall in its place which could then be carved into fortifications.

But as things always seem to when I try to be smart, something went wrong. In order to lure the orcs into a safe position that I could fire on, I had to open/close my sally gate. The sally gate happened to be located right next to the lever room and was pretty much next to the heart of my fort. Naturally during one of my lever pull orders a dwarf on the other side of the known universe was selected for the job. So while he slowly meandered his way towards the lever to close the frighteningly wide open gate, the orcs happily rushed towards my fort. Realizing that they were close enough that even should the lever be pulled, they'd probably access my fort I went into panic mode and started ordering walls to block access to other parts of my fort... Unfortunately, as I pointed out before the sally gate was essentially connected to the heart of my fort, which made for sealing the area off near impossible.
In the orcs came, killing my feeble military with ease and slaughtering my civilians with joy. In the hectic commotion the lever DID get pulled, which ultimately cut off escape from the rampaging orcs, now sealed in my fort.
After much death and destruction I was able to get several (read: 4) dwarves to the surface where they walled off the two 'down' access points.

The surface had a small wood stockpile, two larger stone stockpiles, several workshops, but no other supplies. All the food, tools, weapons, armor, etc. were down below, being sampled by the orcs. The 4 dwarves had access to drinking water and fishable pools, though. After a while, the orcs decided my fort wasn't all that great and called off the siege... but were still sealed in. I came up with a plan to breach one of my down access points and quickly seal off the room it accessed. That room contained two dead bodies (an orc and one of my military) with metal on their corpses. I would then melt down the metal and make a pick. With the pick I'd dig a tunnel from the river and flood my fortress. Teach those fucking orcs whose boss. It was a great plan.

Except... as soon as I breached the down stair, my dwarves bum rushed the supply stockpile for food... despite the fact the orcs were standing on it. This led to a ridiculously long period of my four dwarves trying to get to the food or beds (despite it all being forbidden) but just getting interrupted and scared back by the orcs, only to repeat the process a moment later. The orcs, for some reason, were content watching my dwarves run back and forth like idiots and didn't engage them (I guess they were just trying to path out of the fortress, since the siege was over). Finally, after a heck of long time one of the dwarves managed to grab a bite to eat of some forbidden food, which gave him the will power to actually build the wall I wanted them to long before. At some point in the process two of the 4 dwarves got themselves killed and the other was ultimately walled in with the orcs.

So I was left with one 'safe' Dwarf. He then had access to the farm plot which awesomely had plants growing, which he was able to eat and the bodies with metal on them. He managed to melt down some steel and finally got a bar which he was able to make a pick out of.

Then I left to see the midnight showing of Iron Man 2.

So now, when I get home tonight, I will task my lone surviving dwarf (his buddy inside starved to death) with digging a water tunnel into my fort to drown the orcs. Then it will be a simple mater of building a pump or two to de-flood the fort (thank god I door off my rooms and stairwells... only a few are propped open) and start burials.
I hope this guy doesn't mind being alone for a bit...

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: May 07, 2010, 12:35:28 pm »

Goblin proofing. Digging out section 3 of 9 (see my thread Outrage Anvil), and building a Template Anvil, before making it again but out of Electrum.
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #2691 on: May 07, 2010, 06:58:07 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: May 07, 2010, 07:09:12 pm »

@Goron:

That is sweet. I wish all my forts were like that.

I'm setting up a fort in a world with an elven-dwarven war. Four champions in leather and a slowly training marksdwarf are slowly upgrading their skills and I will eventually get an anvil from one of the caravans. Since I cheated and made fuelless smelting (map doesn't have magma), I have tons of flux and huge amounts of iron. Definitely a steel industry here, methinks. I just need to sell leather waterskins at hugely inflated prices to pay for it.

The kobold caravan came. I got some leather off them, and a bit of meat.

:)
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

DangerHelvetica

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: May 07, 2010, 09:27:06 pm »

Just had a fairly large siege force arrive. Including... a troll cook, animal trainer, engraver, and trader. Seems that they're more advanced than the goblins.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: May 07, 2010, 09:38:41 pm »

Just had a fairly large siege force arrive. Including... a troll cook, animal trainer, engraver, and trader. Seems that they're more advanced than the goblins.
"I Ugh, Ugh engrave. Ugh engrave your face!"
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: May 07, 2010, 09:54:51 pm »

Ugh hear dwarves made of stone. Ugh come to find out!
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: May 07, 2010, 10:47:23 pm »

Ugh has come to siege you fortress, and make strawberry biscuits.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: May 07, 2010, 10:49:48 pm »

PETS! Ugh come to get new pets! Dwarves be pets now!
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: May 07, 2010, 10:51:16 pm »

Ugh have five lessons in Troll school!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: May 08, 2010, 02:32:05 am »

Ugh have five lessons in Troll school!
Ugh sell your bones for pretties!
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 3842