Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6107687 times)

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2565 on: May 02, 2010, 01:33:41 pm »

Do Forgotten Beasts destroy supports?
Sadly, no, they just pass by. Seems like they learned the hard way that breaking supports is bad.
I'm not so sure, it might be that they just don't actively target buildings. I had a giant maggot mull around the caverns for a few seasons before he decided to go in through my poorly-placed ground level window.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: May 02, 2010, 01:56:34 pm »

So just embarked on a hunted glacier with a cave, almost emideately I was attacked by 5 skeletal giants, a skeletal yeti, and skeletal giant toad. In the five minutes I've had this fort I've lost all my animals, but only one dwarf. I"ve also managed to kill one of the giants amazingly. Right now I have 5 of my remaining dwarves ganging up on on giant while the remaining dwarf gets all his teeth pulled out -slowly- by two giants and the yeti...Fun!
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: May 02, 2010, 02:35:47 pm »

Axelord went into a mood. We didn't have what he wanted. I locked him in the Craftsdwarfs workshop where he went berserk. I channeled out a hole above him and designated it a pond zone so the dwarfs would drown him one bucket at a time. It was safer than letting an Axelord in steel armor go berserk in the halls, and faster than waiting for starvation.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: May 02, 2010, 02:43:46 pm »

embarked on a savannah and got myself somewhat entrenched. I was just building a bridge out of mudstone, when suddenly, Lungfish! out of nowhere! has that always been a feature and never noticed it, or is this new? I'm assuming the lungfish came from the mudstone, since in real life lungfish burrow into mud to survive the dry season.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: May 02, 2010, 03:33:33 pm »

embarked on a savannah and got myself somewhat entrenched. I was just building a bridge out of mudstone, when suddenly, Lungfish! out of nowhere! has that always been a feature and never noticed it, or is this new? I'm assuming the lungfish came from the mudstone, since in real life lungfish burrow into mud to survive the dry season.

Lungfish are amphibious vermin. They teleported from the ether.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: May 02, 2010, 03:35:25 pm »

Lungfish are amphibious vermin. They teleported from the ether.

ah, that makes sense, thanks.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: May 02, 2010, 03:45:31 pm »

Elves came to trade.  I was planning on just seizing everything I wanted as per usual and showing them the door. 

But As I was marking everything I wanted for seizing I came across a particular modded creature, tame in a cage.  A Grass Assassin.  A 9 foot tall giant mantis with metal scythe arms and a leg paralyzing goo breath attack.  I am ashamed that I actually paid the elves fairly for their find, hoping that they will see it as a sign to bring more of the same.

Bad news is that this means my super "Will kill you if you run into it in adventure mode" creature still needs some tweaking.  Good news is I now have a very fun surprise for next years goblin invasion.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Ivar360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: May 02, 2010, 05:24:10 pm »

I really want to have the "dont go outside you *^%^&%!" order back!
Just had to watch no less than 50 of my dorfs sprint towards a quadrupal goblin ambush and get slaughtered all over the map.
Still, 24 left alive and the fort has been closed off from the outside world. Time to get to work on a hundred golden cages....

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2573 on: May 02, 2010, 06:28:58 pm »

My woodcutter just made an artifact crutch.

That's ... great, Lokum.  Really useful.  Considering that no dwarf has ever needed a crutch in this fortress, I wonder what he's trying to say.

I'm half tempted to deliberately break some dwarf's legs, to see if the crutch makes him walk superfast or something, or if he'll refuse to stop using it when his leg heals.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: May 02, 2010, 06:54:31 pm »

I really want to have the "dont go outside you *^%^&%!" order back!
Just had to watch no less than 50 of my dorfs sprint towards a quadrupal goblin ambush and get slaughtered all over the map.
Still, 24 left alive and the fort has been closed off from the outside world. Time to get to work on a hundred golden cages....

Designate the interior of your fort (and anywhere else that's "safe") with burrows. Then, when danger rears its head, go to the military screen and set your civilians to "active/training" and designate which burrows they're allowed in. From that point on your civilians will only do jobs within those burrows. I use a system where I've got my fort divided up into various different burrows, so I can send my civilians to different safe zones depending on where the danger's coming from.

This is _way, way_ better than the old "don't go outside" order. Right now I'm dealing with a series of ambushes and I've omitted my trap-filled entrance hall from the safe zone, so no dwarves are running in to collect goblin gear or filled cages while still allowing the goblins to path inward to their doom. Couldn't have done that in the old version.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #2575 on: May 02, 2010, 06:56:24 pm »

Pyramid complete!

returntonull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: May 02, 2010, 07:01:57 pm »

Solved my trash problem, and non-rotting remains with a dwarven atom smasher. Locking the kitten that was creating all these remains in with it when I pulled the lever was just an added bonus. I should try it with the kitten's owner if they get mopey.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: May 02, 2010, 07:13:11 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pyramid complete!

Pippy Longstocking would be proud.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: May 02, 2010, 07:16:46 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pyramid complete!

Pippy Longstocking would be proud.
ROFL!
Also nice avatar. I know where it's from too.
Also also, pyramid quote pyramid!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: May 02, 2010, 09:16:26 pm »

The ineptitude of the military seems to have been greatly exaggerated.  Goblins and Orcs siege at the same time. 

The civs are put on alert and told not to leave the 'megaburrow' that constitutes the entire safe section of the fortress.  Work continues normally, but the hunters and woodworkers obediently enter the fortress through the gate before the armies arrive.  My military is manually ordered to move to station behind an ambush wall, and they do.  How the crossbowmen decided to handle the recent monkey invasion I keep them off the walls, keeping them behind the melee military instead.

The Grass assassin I mentioned before is tied to a rope outside the front gate.  Unfortunately except for their hammergoblin leader, all the goblins are crossbowgobs.  The lever is pulled to release the creature, hoping that it gets inside before I get to see if the strengthened chitin holds up very well against steel bolts.  It doesn't make it.  And it dies in literally a single bolt to the head.

The goblins enter the ambush first, and I order all squads to move to a location outside the gate and they all charge as a unit.  The goblin leather is cut easily by the iron greatswords and lances, and the hammergoblin leader and his giant rat mount is dispatched by my militia commander with his adamantine greatsword.  The goblin's armor hardly slowing the blade at all.

With the entrance hallway now painted a lovely shade of red, the military charges out of the gate and faces the more difficult opponent.  12 Orc Swordsmen in full iron and mithril armor.  These orcs are basically just bigger stronger goblins with access to heavier weapons, significantly more dangerous than a goblin, but not the ungodly unstoppable demons some mods turn them into.

But that dosn't matter at all, and my army of 23 envelop their formation, the combat log is chaotic, and it becomes difficult to tell what was happening with all those creatures hacking at eachother at once.  But two orcs flee, the rest become corpses.  The highly skilled military of Whitecastle has won the day!

11 goblins 10 orcs and a giant rat fall to my military.  My casualties only include the tame Grass assassin.  and as far as wounded goes, 1 bone carver that took one bolt in his mad dash to get to safety, and a crossbowman that took some moderate wounds from an orc swordsman.

The only bug I encountered was the ranged military not using their bolts.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 3842