Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6107866 times)

SpacemanSpiff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2520 on: April 30, 2010, 01:16:32 am »

I've been playing for 3 days, reached my third fortress, and just had my first moment of Fun! :o My first fortress was a throwaway, to try things out while I worked through the illustrated tutorial. My second fortress reached about 50 dwarves before I got tired of the layout. Besides, nothing interesting had happened. This all seemed too easy! My third fortress was in a colder biome, and I struggled a bit with food and drink early on - is it my imagination or do the dwarves consume more in the cold?  Anyway, I got past that, dug out a lovely preplanned layout across 4 z-levels, and had reached 59 dwarves before the end of the second year. Then a goblin ambush party hit. By the time I realized what was happening it was too late to learn about alert levels and schedules, and I figured I'd lose at least a few dwarves before I could lock down, so I save-scummed back to the start of the season (auto-backup-save ftw!).

The next time around I had a proud squad of 8 dwarves ready and waiting for the goblins. Those 8 were my strongest and most military recruits, armed with various weapons I'd accumulated. But against an ambush party of 5 goblins, they lived for all of 30 seconds.The 4 surviving goblins then started wreaking terrible havoc on my cowering civilians. I was still thinking I could salvage something when ANOTHER ambush party of 6 goblins waltzed through the doors. At this point I decided just to sit back and watch the Fun. I had to hit space a couple of times to resume the game, for example when my mayor's mandate was no longer in effect (because the mayor himself had just expired on the end of a goblin spear). It was all over in a couple of very Fun minutes.

Guess it's time for a fourth fortress  :)

Vulkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: April 30, 2010, 01:57:19 am »

Knifestabbed (I love the RNG), 1st of Felsite, 1055.

There was an Elven Caravan today, normally the strange, knife eared folk are welcome to trade, but this time they brought stragglers.

A Goblin ambush party, 7 macemen led by the axeman Snamoz Seducedbitches.

They appear to the northwest, almost as if a mirage out of the desert sands. The blacksmith Mabzuth Copperwhisper is the one to spot them, while out gathering wood. Unfortunately, she is unable to escape, getting bashed in the guts, then the upper body, and finally in the head.

An alert is issued, the dwarves are all ordered inside. Our search for suitable ore to be used in making armour and weapons has proven fruitless, so our warriors are not equipped to handle this task. Once everyone is inside the gate is raised, and many animals are left outside to die. It is an unfortunate fate, but the gate could not be held down any longer. The search for ore continues below, while the laughs of the goblins "playing" with the animals, mixed with loud shrieks, reverberates through the entrance and into the fortress.

We cannot get out, and they cannot get in, for now. The militia are keen to engage them, underequipped as they are, believing their superior wrestling skills will see them through. I am not so confident.

This is the Sherriff and Expedition Leader of the Mountainous Bodices, Datan Onslaughtrooms, pray this is not the last letter to be delivered from our outpost.

Guilliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: April 30, 2010, 03:53:54 am »

A forgotten ash beast came.

It ended up fighting a few of my military dwarfs (short swords and hammers). It wont die. I'm trying to find a solution to kill it without killing my dwarfs lol.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: April 30, 2010, 04:32:31 am »

It ended up fighting a few of my military dwarfs (short swords and hammers). It wont die. I'm trying to find a solution to kill it without killing my dwarfs lol.

I hate magma-stuff, but the only thing that could propably work is Encasing in Obsidian.

How you will do this, it's your problem :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Zathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: April 30, 2010, 05:25:20 am »

I hate magma-stuff, but the only thing that could propably work is Encasing in Obsidian.

Wouldn't dropping a ton of rock on it's head work? That's what I'm preparing to do right now. I have an amber beast lurking in my caverns. Due to overflow of useless immigrants and goblin weaponry I decided to try killing it with some fresh recruits. Afterwards I was able to strike "apparently" from my description of the critter. If the great stonefall trap won't do the job, I'll seal it in with floodgates - I just hope it will be enough, or at least give me enough time to wall it in.

Guilliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: April 30, 2010, 05:35:03 am »

I managed to get it onto my drawbridges and collapesed on one of them, he fell 7 z levels with a ton of rock, he still survived :/ At least he wont be killing my dwarfs anymore now.

Going to prepare steel pipes, blocks and corkscrews and start mining out my magma channels under my main fortress level. Shall fill the pit he's in with it as well. I'm running out of coal :P

I only lost 1 dwarf to this tragedy, which is amazing. They're in specially (modded) designed adamantine dwarven armour. (note, I have a reaction + workshop that prospects stone, it has 1% chance to create an adamantine thread.)

I have 7 wounded and 6 full legendary doctors (also doctor training workshop!), but so far the docs arent interested in treating them at all :/
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 05:37:33 am by Guilliman »

Count_Siitoin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: April 30, 2010, 07:14:38 am »

My outpost is crumbling rapidly. I got only 1 immigrant wave three years ago and it seems that my civ has died since there hasn't been any dwarven merchants or immigrants ever since. Once I hit the caverns, reachers, dralthas and elk birds have ever since assaulted my workers and managed to kill many and cripple several(most of the cripples starved/dehydrated because nobody gave them food/water). My expedition leader decapitated one of his friends in a fit of rage and shortly after that was overcome with berserk rage and slaughtered the elf merchants that were visiting. He was struck down by my militia commander shortly afterwards so thankfully no dwarves were hurt. I'm down to 5 completely depressed dwarves who might go berserk any second and there's no immigrants coming so I'm screwed. All I can do now is to activate every non-crippled dwarf to military and lead a death-or-glory charge against the horrors of the deep.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: April 30, 2010, 11:26:18 am »

Hi!

It would be totally awesome, if you could use windmills powered by waterwheels to simply blow it away. But I am afraid that such reversal is not (yet?) in the game (T_T)

Thvaz: How about putting the unadopted cats/kittens into the empty cages you get from buying animals from the elves and then selling the cats to the humans? It has been a long time since I last did this, back in 2D when a valiant cat got injured in a fight and was in a horrible state.

Deathworks
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 11:29:14 am by Deathworks »

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: April 30, 2010, 12:34:42 pm »

I have FINALLY persuaded another dwarf to pick up a pick. I've been losing dwarfs to cave-ins and drownings for quite some time now. One miner, Zasit Udizčrith, survived one of those cave-ins. however, she suffered from a broken left upper arm and broken left shoulder. As if that was not enough, she fell victim to the surgery bug. And as such, she hasn't healed a bit. Along with this, I could not persuade any dwarf to pick up a pick. Sometimes, Zasit would get out of bed and go mine a couple of tiles. This meant that progress was slow. Very slow. But now my former bowyer has taken the job unto herself to be a miner. Finally. Now I can channel the last (actually penultimate, but you know what I mean) floor of the dome to complete it. I just need a couple more blocks of schist and one more block of quartzite and the dome has been constructed. But not yet furnished. That will happen after Kadol has mined out the noble's quarters, when I have some quartzite...
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: April 30, 2010, 01:03:54 pm »

Hi!

Okay, I blamed the human caravan or maybe an undiscovered goblin ambush for my framerate going from 16 to 11. But the humans are gone, and so much time has passed that either the goblins would have met my weapon traps or left the map. So, I guess the blood and grime and the bad fortress design are taking their toll.

So, I will probably end this fortress in the near future. Just for fun, I have breached the first cavern level, hoping to find one of the two unknown animal civs I got on the civ screen, but no luck. But the cave looks quite nice, and I also spotted a cave fish in one of the lakes.

I will see whether I proceed to dig deeper or whether the FPS get so unbearable that I peacefully abandon.

Deathworks

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: April 30, 2010, 01:16:10 pm »

FPS is truly our greatest foe...

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: April 30, 2010, 02:25:30 pm »

Hi!

Yes, indeed.

However, I am still giving the fortress some time since I want at least the first cavern layer explored. As a result, when the dwarven caravan had just reached my trade post, 2 goblin ambush groups got discovered by my cats.

And this was a very interesting battle indeed - most of the merchant guard were also at the trade depot, it seems, except for one or two. The weapon traps took out about 5 or 6 of the goblins. However, one goblin maceman actually got past the two layers of weapon traps unharmed, blocking the giant axe blades with his mace. And to add to this, after killing one of the guard, he even walked back through the traps and escaped from the map (and the dwarves tried to kill him, but his iron chain mail protected him quite well, while his mace did a lot of bone shattering.

The dead guard successfully claimed a coffin in my pet cemetary (I have not made a collection cemetary for my dwarves, and they are too busy to prepare a special burial chamber), so I can't confirm any problems with that.

So, I know for my next fortress, that two layers of weapon traps do not necessarily cut it - okay, back to the drawing board.

Deathworks

Zathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: April 30, 2010, 02:33:28 pm »

So, dropping a 5 tile long, 3 tile wide 1 z-level high block of diorite (suspended by a support linked to a lever) on the head of the damned amber monstrosity worked, just like I hoped it would. Marvelous. Caverns are finally open for me.

Now I need to think if I even want to touch a cage that trapped a bronze colossi that was about to tear apart my fort. I'd put it under Atom Smasher, but I'm afraid that if I touch it the damned thing will escape.

Eh, I think I grew used to the game grinding to a halt sometimes. It would be swell if it worked better though.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: April 30, 2010, 03:19:35 pm »

This is my fourth DF2010 fort and my favorite embark site yet. My entrance is perched on the edge of a cliff, next to a waterfall which pours mist into my dining hall. The waterfall goes down the cliff into a massive river 45-50 tiles wide. The land is divided into three roughly equal parts by the two rivers. My main fort is on the North of the major river, above the cliff. My cavern exploring fort (separated from the main fort for safety reasons) is on the opposite shore.

I didn't expect the caverns to be so close to the surface. I designated many z-levels of exploratory stairs trying to find the caverns. My miners broke through into two separate cave systems in a matter of seconds. Followed by three alert boxes for adamantine veins. (You have found a cavern! x2) (You have found a magma sea!) (You have found adamantine! Praise the Miners! x3) Fortunately one cavern had a magma sea as I was running out of bituminous coal and lignite for fuel. Unfortunately it was full of many cave creatures disturbing my miners and builders. Even more unfortunately, when I sent my two military squads down to secure the caverns, goblins ambushed the main fort on the other side of the river from two different directions. Even more, more unfortunately, I had accidentally opened a hole in the side of the fort while mining which let one of the squads of ambushers walk straight into my dining hall. I lost a legendary stone crafter almost immediately, followed by two fairly good masons. Doesn't sound like many losses numerically speaking, but that was 10% of my fortress's population at the time and I hadn't seen a migrant wave in more than a year.

Now I'm trying to discover a dwarfenly way to mine adamantine underwater and under magma.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Pheonix_RE

• Bay Watcher
  • (sic)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: April 30, 2010, 04:09:47 pm »

2 years and a goblin ambush later, my fortress hasn't expanded all that much. It's grown to a nice 60 pop, with a Royal quality second dining room and probably enough rooms.

Oh, remember that I said I'd try and get through the aquifer? Yeah... all I have for my efforts is a waterlogged building and a reverse fountain being fed by four layers of aquifer. I did not come expecting this much water.
Four dwarfs have died so far; I'm going to be trying that less risky method of getting through - or just give up and try somewhere else.
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 3842