Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108001 times)

Ivar360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2505 on: April 29, 2010, 02:40:12 pm »

The recently grand fort of Shortpaint is currently in rapid decline.....
After I made this fort my greatest yet, with 700.000 in wealth and a community of 107 happy dwarfs, I got bored.
When I get bored, dwarfes tend to die.
So, I figured I'd see what would happen if I dug a direct connection between the fort and the caves underneath.
At first, some forgotten beasts came up and were quickly slaughtered by my 7 army dwarfes. I was somewhat dissapointed because these forgotten beasts seemed more dangerous.

Then a new forgotten beast came up and it was a worm made of crystal/glass or something with no head.
My army started beating the crap out of it and soon all it's bodyparts were bashed open. However, this did not seem to slow him down at all. After about an hour of fighting my army, he killed the last axelord and went to see what else was going on.

By that time, what was going on was that the population had dropped to 54 dwarfes, out of which at least 20 were going completely mad and turned on their fellow dwarfes.

So now im looking a a massive fort with 20 mad dwarves, and 5 forgotten beasts.... I think it might be time to abandon :(

also, 12 Crundles are walking around the entrance but are too afraid of my grizzly to come in
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 02:42:01 pm by Ivar360 »

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: April 29, 2010, 04:28:58 pm »

I'm finishing my dome. The lowest level is 41 tiles in diameter and it's 10 Z-levels high. It uses a shitload of quartzite blocks: I wanted it to be uniform, save for the decorations, four torches with one leaf on each torch (my group's name is 'The Leafy Torches'). When finished, it'll have consumed 1317 blocks, 4 of which are rutile, 24 orthoclase, 36 green glass, 48 schist, 124 cinnabar and 1081 quartzite. As soon as the dome's been made, I'll start on the lodgings of my plebs. It'll be all around the dome in a 81 by 81 square. This square will go up the ten Z-levels and that block will house pretty much everything: bedrooms, the nobility's rooms, hospital, jail, zoo and barracks. The bedrooms and jail will be one z-level high, the rest two.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 04:33:24 pm by Kidiri »
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: April 29, 2010, 04:43:02 pm »

In his wildest dreams Sazir had never contemplated such culinary alchemy, yet whilst the union of such illogically mismatched cuisine defied rational explanation, certainly the results spoke for themselves on a body whose waistline was bordering upon equatorial.
I quite enjoy your writing style!  Are you a member of any community forts?  If so, I'd love to read the logs :).  Canyonlance is a fortress with a lot of personality!  Though, I was actually starting to feel sorry for Bax. For the training sessions, after he is lever-released, how do you get him back into a cage for a later session?  Keep us updated on your fortress!
I'm not currently participating in any community forts, though I am signed up for the DF Masters competition. Mostly this is because I'm quite OCD when it comes to fort design, and having someone else imposing their style on it would decrease the fun for me.

As for Canyonlance, the fort's on hold. Every word of the story is true, at least as true as it can be. Bax makes for the exit when the room he's locked in is opened, but there's a cage trap across his path that recaptures him each time. Logem is currently hospitalized permanently due to the surgery bug. He's got a broken toe. I'm waiting for the fix next release which will hopefully allow me to continue.

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: April 29, 2010, 04:49:59 pm »

I've recently killed my second forgotten beast. It was a stegosaur (I think)... it managed to kill a war dog, but didn't cause injury otherwise. Kinda pathetic, really.

I've also managed to drain the lake I got most of my water from, so gonna have to refill it somehow later.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: April 29, 2010, 04:57:52 pm »

Bax makes for the exit when the room he's locked in is opened, but there's a cage trap across his path that recaptures him each time. Logem is currently hospitalized permanently due to the surgery bug. He's got a broken toe. I'm waiting for the fix next release which will hopefully allow me to continue.

/facepalm

I use cage traps often enough.  I can't believe I didn't think of that!  Then again, my gobbos are executed immediately, so I've never given much thought to their longterm training potential ;).  Sucks with the bug.  I've luckily avoided it, probably because everyone in the hospital has entered with major wounds.

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: April 29, 2010, 05:35:16 pm »

OutrageAnvil: Mass Smoothing And Engraving  - I want my damned engraver to Masterpiece something other than human history! If he doesnt I might get Armoks hammer to fall on him...
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: April 29, 2010, 05:39:18 pm »

Pleh, another fort is torn assunder by the crash bug. At this stage most people would probably get the new version, why don't I? Because I don't even know.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: April 29, 2010, 06:15:41 pm »

Just started a new one (i sure have a great attention span, don't I?)

I forgot about it during world gen, but I turned off the option to erode extreme cliffs and reduced the erosion cycle. Which results in this: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-8656-boltmastered-exsmoxstrasp

It goes on like that for 22 z-levels (and still says -30 if you go back even a few spaces, the cliffs are hella steep even up there.)

It's perfect because it has a great view of the ocean, and massive cliffs of both a mountain and a hills biome. A bonus: ocean probably means whales, whales mean huge stacks of food. Need to get a trade depot and mini fortress set up right away though, and come up with a decent wood supply to fuel the creation of enough pump stacks to create a waterfall in the middle of a huge circular tower I plan to place right next to my wagon. Also need to turn off invasions. Wondering how all this is going to affect my frame rate if I dare take advantage of any of the caverns...

Some things I need to be sure about to get things started off right the first time;
1. Do smoothed/engraved walls and floors count as natural or artificial? Will I be able to create a fresh water cistern this easily?
2. Does water touched by a pump have 'flow' to base waterwheels off of. Windmills would be tough as hell to set up since i'd need a huge farm ontop of my huge cliff face, and i still haven't tested to see if there IS wind.
3. I'll probably add to this...

The seed and params
Code: [Select]
Created in DF v0.31.03.

[WORLD_GEN]
[TITLE:LARG_VOLC_ISLAND_HOT]
[SEED:127965098]
[HISTORY_SEED:2212938882]
[NAME_SEED:2369862370]
[CREATURE_SEED:1510326442]
[DIM:257:257]
[EMBARK_POINTS:2000]
[END_YEAR:1050]
[BEAST_END_YEAR:10000:-1]
[REVEAL_ALL_HISTORY:1]
[CULL_HISTORICAL_FIGURES:1]
[ELEVATION:1:400:1600:1600]
[RAINFALL:0:100:400:400]
[TEMPERATURE:40:100:400:400]
[DRAINAGE:0:100:400:400]
[VOLCANISM:0:100:400:400]
[SAVAGERY:0:100:400:400]
[ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[RAIN_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[DRAINAGE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[TEMPERATURE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[SAVAGERY_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[TITAN_NUMBER:50]
[TITAN_ATTACK_TRIGGER:80:0:100000]
[DEMON_NUMBER:0]
[GOOD_SQ_COUNTS:24:244:0]
[EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:24:244:0]
[PEAK_NUMBER_MIN:14]
[PARTIAL_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:0]
[COMPLETE_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:4]
[VOLCANO_MIN:50]
[REGION_COUNTS:SWAMP:252:1:1]
[REGION_COUNTS:DESERT:252:1:1]
[REGION_COUNTS:FOREST:1008:3:2]
[REGION_COUNTS:MOUNTAINS:2016:2:2]
[REGION_COUNTS:OCEAN:2016:1:1]
[REGION_COUNTS:GLACIER:63:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:TUNDRA:126:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:GRASSLAND:2016:3:2]
[REGION_COUNTS:HILLS:2016:3:2]
[EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT:200]
[RIVER_MINS:800:800]
[PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:0]
[OROGRAPHIC_PRECIPITATION:1]
[SUBREGION_MAX:3500]
[CAVERN_LAYER_COUNT:3]
[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MIN:100]
[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MAX:100]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MIN:1]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MAX:100]
[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MIN:70]
[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MAX:100]
[HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_1:1]
[HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_2:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:15]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_1:7]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_2:2]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_3:2]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_4:2]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:2]
[LEVELS_AT_BOTTOM:2]
[CAVE_MIN_SIZE:5]
[CAVE_MIN_SIZE:5]
[CAVE_MAX_SIZE:35]
[MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:80]
[NON_MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:100]
[ALL_CAVES_VISIBLE:0]
[SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:2]
[TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER:35]
[TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION:50000]
[PLAYABLE_CIVILIZATION_REQUIRED:1]
[ELEVATION_RANGES:33000:4032:2016]
[RAIN_RANGES:2016:4032:2016]
[DRAINAGE_RANGES:2016:4032:2016]
[SAVAGERY_RANGES:2016:4032:2016]
[VOLCANISM_RANGES:2016:4032:2016]

You may want to change some things, it's the seed and the erosion settings that I think are responsible for this opportunity. I set demon species count to 0 for test purposes, but i may consider this more than a test now that I've found such an awe-inspiring site.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: April 29, 2010, 06:25:39 pm »

Looking around my new fort.

Unicorns. Crap.
Elephants. Shit.

If I get carp and giant eagles I'm going to die TAME THEM ALL AND FORM A NEW WORLD ORDER.
Unless the Fun gets me first.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2514 on: April 29, 2010, 06:34:04 pm »

Losing too many skilled smiths to magma creppy crawlers coming up through the forge holes, thats what going on at Wolf Tower fortress today
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: April 29, 2010, 06:40:05 pm »

The sight of elven scalp soaring through winter sky must have flipped some deep buried, ancient switch in him, as he entered a combat trance and slaughtered the rest of the ambush before his dwarfs could come to help.

I couldn't stop laughing for good few minutes afterwards.

Awesome!
Akur Akir Akam!

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: April 29, 2010, 08:37:57 pm »

I just (finally) had my first forgotten beast.

A giant hairy grasshopper, with wings of stretched skin that undulated rhythmically.

I was excited, sent my military down to the caves to meet it, but they preferred to hang out in the barracks. Whatever, they'll get the picture soon enough.

So I watch as some war dogs valiantly charge the beast. They all latch onto it and start gnawing at it. The beast kicks one of it's legs and sends one of the dogs flying off a good 20 or so tiles straight into a rockface. The poor dog exploded, it's head, tail, and 2 legs flying off in random directions, and it's blood coating 5 tiles of wall and at least a 3x3 area around the wall, not including the blood that dripped out of it's body parts as they flew off (it's tail landed nearly 10 squares away).

The beast then quickly dispatches the other two dogs (it bit off their heads), and starts chasing a mason that was in the caves. This has to be the most unlucky mason ever. Apparently he was at the moment he ran into the forgotten beast, also running from a cave crocodile. I hoped that the beast and the croc would fight it out, but no luck. The croc took one look at the giant hairy insect and dived into the underground lake, never to be seen again (I assume it swam off the map, as I have no cave croc corpse/meat in my stocks menu).

The grasshopper beast chased my mason around for awhile before my military finally arrived. One of my hammerdwarves got his hammer stuck in the beast's shell and then got tossed across the room. A speardwarf had his arms removed and quickly bled out. Finally one of the dwarves scored a lucky hit, rupturing an artery and causing the beast to bleed out.

I managed to butcher it, and got like 72 units of forgotten beast meat. Plus a HUGE exoskeleton. I wonder if dwarves could use it's exoskeleton as a shell in artifacts, or if it counts as a bone, or what. I'd like to see it used. If nothing else I suppose I can put it on display using a 1-tile stockpile somewhere.

Pretty awesome. :)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2517 on: April 29, 2010, 09:15:19 pm »

My latest fortress has just had its third strange mood.  Like the two before it, it was a possession, denying me any skill bonus.  This time a dwarf grabbed a leatherworker's shop, collected the usual pile of junk, and produced a cow leather thong.  Nil Vundis, "The Hammer of Tenacity". On the thong, in addition to the usual spikes and bands and circles, is an image of an elf, traveling.

I am starting to suspect that I have a defective batch of dwarves.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: April 29, 2010, 09:43:09 pm »

Hi!

In the 13th or 14th year of my fortress (until recently no invaders, and still strict pop cap keeping it at 16 after a few losses), I have not had any strange moods yet (population insufficient). However, I have had my second goblin ambush, which again claimed the lives of a few cats. This time, it were goblin spearmen led by a goblin lasher. All in all 7 goblins.

However, it seems only 3 of the 7 goblins actually tried to invade my fortress while the remaining 4 goblins fled - at least they were nowhere to be seen as the last of the 3 who got lucky died  stepping on the second weapon trap (I think the first one amputated just an arm or a leg and he somehow survived that).

Well, no dwarves killed or injured, and fewer dead goblins means fewer hauling jobs, so this is fine in itself.

But I really have to give my dwarves some free time - no marriages yet, even though we have some lovers since the first year (^_^;;

I guess once I have produced enough leather clothes, I will try to diminish production.

But there is also the elephant problem - there is just too many of them: I have frivolous amounts of elephant bones lying on top of my weapon traps now as I simply can't process them quickly enough. The area around the traps is nearly constantly miasma-ridden now, as fresh elephants spawn and walk into it regularly. Fortunately, my giant cats have reduced their hunting activity, so there are not that many corpses lying in the countryside.

Although, during the last dwarven caravan, a merchant swordsdwarf decided to go on an elephant-hunting spree. Armed with a bismuth bronze short sword, he injured an elephant and hunted it around until cornering and slaughtering it. I have to admit that I find this rather peculiar - a short sword against an elephant (^_^;;

Deathworks

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: April 29, 2010, 11:23:22 pm »

Abandoned my fortress. It is a pity, had too much fun with it, but the fps was unbearable. I think I will try next something minimalist like Deathworks (but kiling all non-pets cats, of course - those little feline devils)
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 3842