Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108628 times)

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2370 on: April 21, 2010, 10:36:27 pm »

I figure no one in my fort has died yet, so it might as well be by my hand, and in a manner that doesn't require a burial space.

As I'm fairly sure this will end in disaster I'm filling the lower deck with garbage so as to dispose of it in an eco friendly, yet permanent manner.

I am now simply waiting for the paylod to be loaded, then I'm burrowing the whole thing and dropping it.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 10:45:01 pm by lanceleoghauni »
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Geti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: April 21, 2010, 11:04:05 pm »

Wow, I want to see what happens with this. It sounds bloody interesting. Be nice if you could cause a massive steam explosion/eruption by filling the pod with water, but I don't think pressure is modelled quite that well yet... possibly another thing to try though.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: April 21, 2010, 11:07:56 pm »

I had intended for the bottom layer to be filled with water, but then remembered all I've found is a small pond and I have no way to pump it in, so I just filled it with trash. I'm trying to remove anything that might have looked like it was worth it to this peasant I suckered in with a Lever with his Name on it, I have decided to call this: Two Hundred and 1, a Dwarf Odyssey.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 11:09:59 pm by lanceleoghauni »

*Mayor facepalms*

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: April 21, 2010, 11:15:25 pm »

as soon as I finish stripping the interior to a level suitable for a peasant and not the Team of heroes I'd planned I shall launch the Obsidian carp and tell you my findings. it appears to have frozen from attempting to drop a 5 story office building down Every z level.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 11:22:29 pm by lanceleoghauni »

*Mayor facepalms*

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: April 21, 2010, 11:27:58 pm »

It appears that this will not resolve itself nicely, I may have to lose a year of play and just restart the build, taking into account that constructions explode.

*Mayor facepalms*

Yagrum Bagarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: April 22, 2010, 01:18:17 am »

A Forgotten Beast surprised my military commander, who is a member of my Seven, a Legendary Fighter, Legendary Wrestler, Legendary Axedwarf and Skilled in most other combat skills.  None of the other nine dwarves in his squad (many of them with similar stats) were nearby, as I had used a kill order on the Beast.  They fought for pages and pages of combat before I managed to persuade the rest of the squad to show up.

He took these wounds:
left lower arm
right shoulder
left shoulder
right elbow
right wrist
right hip
left hip
left ankle
throat

I was sure I was going to lose him, but someone dragged him to the hospital and after a couple weeks of cleaning, stitching, dressing, and setting, his current task is "Watch Striking Demonstration"

An honored warrior, indeed.

So, it's currently 3 Malachite.  Any bets on how long it'll take him to heal up?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 01:20:29 am by Yagrum Bagarn »
DF gives "Last Living Dwarf" a whole new meaning.

.gif credit (and thanks) to Whitney

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: April 22, 2010, 01:23:10 am »

This is the perfect example of Dwarven construction.  I am ashamed that I have not done something quite this suicidal , insane , destined for failure , SCIENTIFIC recently.

I ask all of you... have you done something Dwarven today?

I tried to use instant bond glue instead of solder today, is that dwarven?

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: April 22, 2010, 01:54:37 am »

@Yagrum: Why don't you show us his diagnosis list? It would be interesting to see what his actual wounds are.

Prediction: The highly buggy healthcare system will cause your dwarf to die of infection or something equally lame within a year, likely forcing your whole fort onto its knees when your expedition leader dies and you can't appoint new nobles nor meet with liasons.

Don't take my prediction as a huge downer; it's just what I think is most likely to happen. I've personally seen the new healthcare system fail more than it works (go Toady go, fix that thing!!)
In other news, he rushed the release and we all get to play DF 2010!!!
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

veerserif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: April 22, 2010, 01:56:21 am »

I just got my first fort death... a first-wave immigrant, High Master Cheesemaker, called Rimtar Kivishlorbam. I was a little interested by him, because I heard that you could make cheese, but I didn't have any milkable animals at that point so I set him to random odd jobs. I breached the underground cavern, and set him to collecting silk. It took me about a season to realize that it wasn't just Cave Spider Silk, it was Giant Cave Spider Silk, but the spider didn't show itself so I thought it was fine. Obviously, I was very, very wrong.

One fine day, when my fledgling military was preoccupied with a troglodyte attack, I got a message:
"Rimtar Kivishlorbam cancels Collect Silk: Interrupted by Giant Cave Spider."
I immediately zoomed in to his location: he was in a far corner, webbed and fighting with the GCS. Seeing as there was no one else there, and that he was bleeding heavily, I walled up the entrance. Hey, he'd just bleed out in a bit, wouldn't he?

As it turns out, no. I didn't even realize he wasn't dead until I noticed I hadn't got his death announcement yet -- I had even got his tomb planned out. So I zoomed in and... Both his hands had been reduced to a pulpy mess, his right kidney and liver were shot, and his heart was giving out too. There wasn't a single part of his body that didn't have at least a yellow wound. He'd been webbed but the spider bites couldn't go through his pig tail clothing. Amazingly, he had gone from no fighting skill whatsoever to legendary fighter and dodger, and mangled a spider leg (red wound, but the important thing to remember is: All Spiders Have Eight Legs). I quickly tore down the wall and sent my (very, very green) military at the spider. In the rescue attempt, one immigrant hammerdwarf was webbed and strangled.

This is how I imagine Rimtar saw things. He'd been fighting off a Giant Cave Spider for two months, with no rest, no food and no water. He was reduced to trying to bite it; he spent all his energy dodging and trying to hold on to life. He watches as the rescue squad cut the spider neatly in half, but not before a hammerdwarf sacrifices his life for him. Just as they cut him free from the web, he breathes his last, and finally,
"Rimtar Kivishlorbam, Cheesemaker, has bled to death."

I was pretty upset. They ate the spider in revenge.

Yagrum Bagarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: April 22, 2010, 02:24:11 am »

Architect,

I just lost nearly an entire season to a random crash, so I'm quitting for the night.  Unfortunately, my last save was when Urist McOuch was still in the hospital, so I've got to wait for him to finish being patched up again.  He wasn't my expedition leader, though.  I gave this dwarf lots of combat skills before embark to jump start my military.

Normally, I'd stick it out and watch it all again, but before the crash I'd just finished up a major overhaul of all dwarf jobs.  I've got to learn to save after I do stuff like that.  I'm kind of bummed about that and really should go to bed, anyway.  I'll post his actual wounds next time I play.
DF gives "Last Living Dwarf" a whole new meaning.

.gif credit (and thanks) to Whitney

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: April 22, 2010, 02:32:23 am »

Deliberately made cave-ins happen. I like to see my miners getting splints on every limb, and still working  :P
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

Geti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: April 22, 2010, 02:49:01 am »

It appears that this will not resolve itself nicely, I may have to lose a year of play and just restart the build, taking into account that constructions explode.
This sucks :(
I was pretty upset. They ate the spider in revenge.
This is awesome :)

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: April 22, 2010, 07:46:10 am »

I have decided to always disable animal handling on all but one dwarf, and that dwarf is a military dwarf. Also, all my pits will be circular and very deep, with stone floors all around them. This is all so I can imagine him being sparta-dwarf as he kicks the animals/gobbos/etc. into the pit of doom.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: April 22, 2010, 11:00:23 am »

Well it was just spring and my newly modified trade depot needed testing. Specifically the "drowning chamber" feature.

I need to work on the drainage system now :)

Khan FurSainty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: April 22, 2010, 11:11:21 am »

My hunter failed to kill a elephant, so i sent my 2 soldiers to kill it. The problem was, i had no weapons. So they just punched it until the poor animal started vomiting everywhere. They didn't kill it, but one of them became legendary wrestler and legendary fighter just by punching the hell out of it. And he wasn't even a wrestler. His fighter skill was low too.
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 3842