Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108739 times)

IronValley

• Bay Watcher
  • Purple Smile!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2355 on: April 21, 2010, 09:02:30 am »

Has anyone managed to get a King yet? Want to get a proper army, but the whole nobility process seems horribly slow!

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: April 21, 2010, 10:50:31 am »

Well, I can tell you that in four years with my first fort I didn't even hit minimum requirements for a Baron. Only had the standard assigned nobles. I think I might have gotten a chance to be a Barony but the game took a crap right as the human caravan was leaving so I never got the liaison from the dwarves that year. It does seem that this game is paced a bit better. In 40d I hit Barony and in the course of a year I would get up to a Duchy and need to start prepping for the arrival of the King.
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: April 21, 2010, 11:03:19 am »

Well, the elves are finally useful. For now they're my source of Bears. right now I'm just chaining them up outside key areas. I've only got a brown and a black bear at the moment, I hope to get matched pairs so that I might start a breeding program, possibly modifying the raws to allow for warbears.

Which I will then use to invade hell.

Edit: I also have begun construction of a terranaut pod over my volcano, which will have thick outer walls for protection from the heat. It shall be fitted with a modicum of stone, food and digging supplies, to build what they need upon reaching the magma sea. hopefully the terranauts break through into the soft rock you can't mine through, but there's only so much you can hope for. most likely, all aboard will die painful, alcohol explosion related deaths, or perhaps awaken some eldritch abominations from the heart of the world. but the brave shall go forth feet first, knowing that it may be their last decision.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 04:01:41 pm by lanceleoghauni »
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: April 21, 2010, 04:11:50 pm »

That's strange.

I just embarked on a site where I expected to find a nice brook waterfall. But instead... I found a... dunno how to call it. It was like a natural aqueduct. The brook and the rock below just ran on on the same level, while the terrain went downhill...

I've been playing around with it a bit but quickly abandoned. Stonesense didnt work, visualfortress didn't work and I didn't take screenshots, so all I have is my word, that it happened... and the region where it happened. Maybe I should try to embark a bit southward from my earlier fortress...
Might be fun to check that out in adventure mode, see how long it goes on like that for.
Akur Akir Akam!

rucksackjack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: April 21, 2010, 07:00:58 pm »

Edit: I also have begun construction of a terranaut pod over my volcano, which will have thick outer walls for protection from the heat. It shall be fitted with a modicum of stone, food and digging supplies, to build what they need upon reaching the magma sea. hopefully the terranauts break through into the soft rock you can't mine through, but there's only so much you can hope for. most likely, all aboard will die painful, alcohol explosion related deaths, or perhaps awaken some eldritch abominations from the heart of the world. but the brave shall go forth feet first, knowing that it may be their last decision.

Does this work? I thought constructions just disassembled into component materials when caved in.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: April 21, 2010, 07:07:41 pm »

Not sure :P Gonna have to find out. I'm dropping them in a volcano, So I'm thinking they MIGHT survive, and that the pod will remain intact for it's trip down.

If not it'll go down as just another project that was Fun and mapped a section of the magma sea. if it works I might even be able to Dig back up and start a new fortress down there.

Edit: It expanded a bit from my original plans. but it still fits, barely.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 07:21:36 pm by lanceleoghauni »

*Mayor facepalms*

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: April 21, 2010, 09:36:30 pm »

Not sure :P Gonna have to find out. I'm dropping them in a volcano, So I'm thinking they MIGHT survive, and that the pod will remain intact for it's trip down.

If not it'll go down as just another project that was Fun and mapped a section of the magma sea. if it works I might even be able to Dig back up and start a new fortress down there.

Edit: It expanded a bit from my original plans. but it still fits, barely.

I use doggy divers, they don't last very long.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: April 21, 2010, 09:42:39 pm »

My Goal is to actually make it all the way down. it's actually equipped for a short period of time to be able to continue operations before I order them to self destruct by dropping the iron bridge and opening the ports.

*Mayor facepalms*

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: April 21, 2010, 09:51:39 pm »

My Goal is to actually make it all the way down. it's actually equipped for a short period of time to be able to continue operations before I order them to self destruct by dropping the iron bridge and opening the ports.

I'm not one hundred percent certain on this, but when it hits the bottom it may collapse.

You must prove this with dwarven science.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: April 21, 2010, 09:53:33 pm »

But of course! I'm already a year into construction, and now I'm just finishing the final heat shield layer before the drop.

*Mayor facepalms*

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: April 21, 2010, 10:03:28 pm »

But of course! I'm already a year into construction, and now I'm just finishing the final heat shield layer before the drop.

Wait, your using contructions? Uh oh. Constructions will turn into individual blocks/stones when they are involved in a cave in. Do you have a water source? You could try making an obsidian cast instead.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: April 21, 2010, 10:05:33 pm »

Wait, your using contructions? Uh oh. Constructions will turn into individual blocks/stones when they are involved in a cave in. Do you have a water source? You could try making an obsidian cast instead.

I wonder what would happen if you made a diving pod out of floodgates or something like that...
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: April 21, 2010, 10:05:56 pm »

Hmph. As a true Dwarf I shall ignore your warnings and recklessly pull the lever anyways. For science, of course.

*Mayor facepalms*

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: April 21, 2010, 10:16:33 pm »

I approximate it's completion within the next half hour, tops.

I shouldn't need to quarry any more stone. however it's possible. I just need to finish the outer hull and heat shields for the lower deck, then seal it off.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 10:20:08 pm by lanceleoghauni »

*Mayor facepalms*

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: April 21, 2010, 10:29:24 pm »

This is the perfect example of Dwarven construction.  I am ashamed that I have not done something quite this suicidal , insane , destined for failure , SCIENTIFIC recently.

I ask all of you... have you done something Dwarven today?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 3842