Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108743 times)

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2340 on: April 20, 2010, 02:45:24 pm »

My fortress was built on a volcano. Got overrun by animals from THE DEEP. The worldgen params I used gave me an epic number of Z-Levels to work with, I think I was around -270 before I abandoned. It was called Ducimnol(accented e)th. Means "great pit of deepness", or something to that effect. I'm reclaiming now...
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: April 20, 2010, 02:59:51 pm »

I'm currently dealing with a retired mayor who is still making demands :(.  I thought I got rid of him when he was replaced, but now I have double the headache from pushy nobles.  Other than that, my fortress is doing well.  It's become a veritable bread plump helmet-basket of the region.  After reading horror stories of famine and starvation, I immediately created three 7x7 plump helmet farms, and then soon created three more 7x7 farms that rotate seasonally between dimple cups and cave wheat.  With the occasional fertilization from potash makers, my fortress stores are now bursting at the seams with 2000+ plants for 128 dwarves.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: April 20, 2010, 05:35:44 pm »

None warned my dwarves that Beak Dogs were basically walking Carps in 31.03 :D

I have lost nearly 30 dwarves to those packs of 3/4 Beak Dogs that have not ceased to roam the surface.

Each time i was trying to train some wrestlers (as i am way too early in the fort development for any kind of other military), the beak dogs enjoyed ripping their hands, heads etc... apart letting them bleeding to death.

At some point i had only 1 dwarf alive, i had to keep him in a burrow zone to prevent him running to the surface to his death.
Fortunately a dozen of minutes laters, nearly 20 immigrants appeared.
I formed immediately 10 wrestlers and sent them after the beak dogs.

They managed to kill one ! but the other Beak dogs decided to pay them a visit and were too strong for those beginner wrestlers, tearing them apart.

The Beak Dogs have decided to come back around my fortress entrance, so for now the survivors are all inside the burrow zone, hoping they will go away.

I am wondering if i should not just abandon the fortress to reclaim it by force with military striking at those horrible monsters, or just live forever in the burrow until i can get trained enough wrestlers.

Kroack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: April 20, 2010, 06:26:53 pm »

First encounter with GCS

Its venom killed my military commander and a giant war leopard.

Sigh.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: April 20, 2010, 06:35:10 pm »

Found a weird cavern that has vertical sections spanning 40+ z-levels. It's a frozen ocean and forest and tundra interface.

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: April 20, 2010, 10:06:01 pm »

Nothing, because every time I start a fort and get to the second year I get repeating crashes that make the game unplayable. And still no word on fixing it in the bug tracker. I somehow doubt it'll be fixed in the next version, so no DF for me for a few months. :(

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: April 20, 2010, 11:32:05 pm »

got my first forgotten beast visit. a towering hydrosaurid with lidless eyes, a broad shell, that undulates rhythmically. blocky ash grey scales set far apart, with a poisonous sting. ..i knew i should have gone and set up a military anyway, despite wiping the goblins out in worldgen.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: April 20, 2010, 11:36:46 pm »

got my first forgotten beast visit. a towering hydrosaurid with lidless eyes, a broad shell, that undulates rhythmically. blocky ash grey scales set far apart, with a poisonous sting. ..i knew i should have gone and set up a military anyway, despite wiping the goblins out in worldgen.

Heh, I have one worldgen where the goblin civs got conquered (theres still some goblins scattered around the world) and I'm trying to get another worldgen that ends in 300 years which has the goblins wiped out....

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: April 21, 2010, 01:33:39 am »

I just got one of those gigantic caves with 40-z-level ceilings too. And it's also on an ocean shore, wonder if there's a pattern there.

Anyway, this fort is the first one where I'm attempting big pointless engineering tasks. I've done a major aquifer penetration and have dug a canal from the ocean into my fort, where I plan to build a series of locks designed to bring imaginary ships down to the cavern levels (and, ultimately, down to the hidden fun stuff). My initial goal is to handle imaginary ships up to 5 tiles by 10 tiles. Should be a nice little challenge, especially the systems required to make the water levels rise and fall in the locks in a controlled manner rather than a raging torrent.

I bought some Tigermen off the elves. They refused to eat or drink. Right before they died of dehydration, I ordered them butchered. Nobody would eat their meat or tan their hides, so I made some coffins and the dwarves stuffed all the "prepared Tigerman sweatbread" and such into them. Dwarves are obviously very confused about how to feel about pet Tigermen.

Geti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: April 21, 2010, 03:56:02 am »

Yeah, the new sapients are handled pretty wierdly. Killing snailmen was apparently second nature to my military, but now my butchers seem dubious about chopping them up. It's early days though..

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: April 21, 2010, 06:20:30 am »

Just caught seventeen fluffy wamblers and tamed them. Meat production, here I come!

Geti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: April 21, 2010, 06:30:37 am »

Tantruming spearman managed to maim half his squad before my beefy commander turned up and dismembered the fool. Now I've got a doctoring staff who seem puzzled at exactly how to fix the poor saps, so most of them are getting a patchy suturing. I don't have any soap available, so I do hope that they don't succumb to infection. I'd be pretty mad at having to train another military, especially since I'm expecting some goblins any day now..

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #2352 on: April 21, 2010, 06:51:15 am »

1) Get sieged
2) Cage gobbos
3) Bring cages to dropzone
4) Loot gobbos
5) Begin to store all the loot
6) Get another siege
7) Loot isn't all stored yet
8) FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: April 21, 2010, 06:54:07 am »

Emenshorast, 40d.

Cap of 60 dwarves, but no pregnancy limit. 7th year going, around 10 married couples.

"Hello Cog, how is your newborn son?"

"Hey, Cilob! Fifth daughter, great!"

"Oh, Mebzuth! Three sons, do you think that the one in your belly is girl at last?"

Emenshorast populace: 72 dwarves. Children: 26. 28, just checked.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 07:00:16 am by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: April 21, 2010, 07:04:56 am »

That's strange.

I just embarked on a site where I expected to find a nice brook waterfall. But instead... I found a... dunno how to call it. It was like a natural aqueduct. The brook and the rock below just ran on on the same level, while the terrain went downhill...

I've been playing around with it a bit but quickly abandoned. Stonesense didnt work, visualfortress didn't work and I didn't take screenshots, so all I have is my word, that it happened... and the region where it happened. Maybe I should try to embark a bit southward from my earlier fortress...
Dwarf cancelled making adamantium short sword: Strange mood.
Dwarf has entered a marital trance!
Dwarf has claimed a bedroom.
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 3842