Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108856 times)

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2325 on: April 19, 2010, 11:53:15 pm »

Welp, got mauled by a black bear.  He's the master of that island now...
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: April 19, 2010, 11:58:10 pm »

My dwarves finally managed to regain control of the city (1 section at a time) and the goblins have temporarily withdrawn. Now to begin the rebuilding effort, and hopefully I'll get some migrants soon. Of course, I managed to get rid of that accursed bridge and flood some areas so they'll never be useable again.

Heh, at one point during the goblin occupation they were parading around the town square while I had mason commandos secretly constructing pathways to allow me to secure the highground in the town.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 12:01:53 am by Flying Carcass »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: April 20, 2010, 12:07:44 am »

Spoiler: Deep secret stuff (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Edit Reply (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 12:25:17 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: April 20, 2010, 12:18:08 am »

Grieger: Get creative digging down through old spoiler material.
Tip 2: What you are describing is the way Toady has magma pipes set to refill. A little magma is occasionally added to the top wherever it is exposed. In your situation, it just evaporates before more is added. Normally it floats around on top of the old magma and the pipe gradually refills.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: April 20, 2010, 12:21:22 am »

Spoiler: Spoiler for Greiger (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: April 20, 2010, 12:31:00 am »

« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 12:33:13 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: April 20, 2010, 12:35:58 am »

Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: April 20, 2010, 12:57:02 am »

Ack! The kobolds ambushed the fort and unlocked the doors, allowing a subsequent goblin ambush to attack the base from below. My dwarves tried to fend them off, but did not figure out how to equip weapons and armor in time and were massacred. Game over.  ???

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: April 20, 2010, 01:13:14 am »

Elves came, set off goblin ambush, so I send out dwarves to defend the elves (I needed the logs...), Dwarves go out the back way, and then a puppy sets off another ambush in the front way.  I close the front gates and flood that region.   By this time the elves are all but dead, and fleeing into the hills.  My dwarves are bumbling their way towards the goblins, and I'm going through the dead pack animals picking over the remains as to what I need (still would've preferred trading so as to get rid of a bunch of useless crap I have).  Dwarves finally catch up, body parts go flying (seriously, all the dwarves and goblins seemed to mass onto one tile and every now and then a body part would just shoot out), a bit from both sides.  Final tally: 4 dwarves (2 military, 2 civilians), 12 goblins, and 5 elves.  Now I have a long stream of haulers going back and forth to my fort receiving the spoils of war.

It was a good day.  There's just so much blood being tracked into my fort and around the hill sides now.  I doubt I'll get migrants anytime soon.
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Ardenn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: April 20, 2010, 01:31:44 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Geti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: April 20, 2010, 03:38:05 am »

Ardenn, that is beyond awesome. What kind of clown was it?

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: April 20, 2010, 03:40:50 am »

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: April 20, 2010, 04:54:49 am »

was just minding my own business, digging down to look for accessible magma before trying the magma free smelting operation.

broke through to the first cavern layer, 10 z levels down per worldgen instructions, look around - perfect, an exposed magma pipe right next to my staircase! Look left, look right - wonderful, lots of cave spider silk, not a single GCS silk web around. Plenty of water - possibly even a permanent water source for my fortress. A single giant toad...no problem...

I instruct the dwarves to build a single staircase down. They do so. one of my weavers bolts for the cavern to gather spider silk - the giant toad takes offense - chases him up into the fortress proper - wanders around spooking dwarves - and provokes my woodcutter and miners into dealing with it. Cue several pages of combat where the effectiveness of copper weapons in woodcutters and miners' hands is demonstrated on a Giant Toad who doesn't manage to bite anyone through their clothing. Lots of 'xxx has been broken/shattered/cut open by copper pick/axe' Dead giant toad is carted off to refuse stockpile and main up/down stairway is painted in giant toad vomit and blood.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

random51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: April 20, 2010, 01:05:07 pm »

Looks like somebody else wants my embark site! Spoilertagging these images just in case.

Ardenn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: April 20, 2010, 01:09:05 pm »

Geti:

Also, the trolls they brought along all have jobs. And yes, the troll hunter was shooting a crossbow at my dwarves.

Edit:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 01:27:21 pm by Ardenn »
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 3842