Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108842 times)

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2295 on: April 17, 2010, 02:14:22 pm »

Wow.. looks like everything up to this has been a practice. Goblin siege just arrived: 50 goblins riding Giant Rats! Goblin Hammer Lord! Goblin Axe Lord! Goblin Master Lasher! And almost 20 to 30 bowmen/crossbowmen. To help the goblins, 8 trolls arrived...all with different professions.. Looks like it's going to be a slaughterhouse today.

---

I closed up some gates, leaving the only viable path for goblins to be a trapped corridor of death, leading up to a bottleneck where my squads of dwarves were waiting. At first came a couple of goblins, they were killed easily. Then came the main force, and floors & walls were painted in the color of red. This part caused 2 casualties, a child and someone else I don't know. Burrow "forbidden"-message spam is atm 100+ pages.

Once again my commander and captains were heroes. Militia Commander actually hit a flying bolt mid-air (!) :
"The militia commander bats The flying ({Iron Bolt}) out of air!

The invading force in the bottleneck was defeated, but ~5 to 10 ranged goblins with their mounts remained lingering outside. Chasing them down cost 3 more live, but the siege was finally defeated.

---

But this is a day of mourning. In the end a Troll got a lucky hit in and my several year war-veteran militia commander with TENS of goblin kills lost his upper body.

Bit over 50 goblins, each with own mount, and 8 trolls makes 110 total siegers vs 18 of my dwarves (+ some random war animals). Numbers were almost 3:1 to Goblins favor, but I won without too many losses.
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #2296 on: April 17, 2010, 02:18:45 pm »

I just got this migrant:

Skilled Axedwarf
Skilled Shield User
Skilled Armor User
Skilled Fighter
Skilled Dodger
Proficient Miner
Competent Weaver
Competent Clothier
Competent Weaponsmith
Competent Wood Crafter
Competent Stone Crafter
Competent Glassmaker
Competent Leatherworker
Competent Bone Carver
Novice Siege Engineer
Novice Concentration
Skilled Observer

Yes, that's one guy.  What the heck do I do with him?  Make him the best axedwarf my fortress has, or leave him as a godly renaissance craftsdwarf?
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Zafmg

• Bay Watcher
  • Dort Fwarfess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: April 17, 2010, 02:21:12 pm »

I just got this migrant:

Skilled Axedwarf
Skilled Shield User
Skilled Armor User
Skilled Fighter
Skilled Dodger
Proficient Miner
Competent Weaver
Competent Clothier
Competent Weaponsmith
Competent Wood Crafter
Competent Stone Crafter
Competent Glassmaker
Competent Leatherworker
Competent Bone Carver
Novice Siege Engineer
Novice Concentration
Skilled Observer

Yes, that's one guy.  What the heck do I do with him?  Make him the best axedwarf my fortress has, or leave him as a godly renaissance craftsdwarf?

HAULING DUTY

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: April 17, 2010, 03:58:33 pm »

Currently I'm on a volcano map. The Main Fortress is built in the plateau above and beside the volcano's caldera, but a little farther to the north There's another Pinnacle, which I've smoothed and dug into. I plan to make it into the Headquarters for my deep delver expedition into hell. I'm working on the defenses now, before I start digging, and have been having my HighMaster Weaponsmith make loads of Iron Serrated blades. I also Have mechanism operated doors, to aid in containment.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

MooUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: April 17, 2010, 05:23:55 pm »

Make him the best axedwarf my fortress has, or leave him as a godly renaissance craftsdwarf?

What is this "or"?

AND, boy! AND! ;)

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: April 17, 2010, 08:06:01 pm »

HAULING DUTY

;D

Nothing worse than a peasant getting a possessed mood, cranking out a beautiful artifact and promptly returning to hauling rocks and garbage.

Also dug up a forgotten beast by accident in year two.  Had to abandon that one.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 03:48:09 am by Vercingetorix »
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2301 on: April 18, 2010, 05:20:50 am »

Hi!

Actually, it is very reasonable to put really experienced dwarves on hauling duty, especially when you want the economy to be around:
1. In the economy, you need also cheap furniture for the not so wealthy dwarves, which an experienced dwarf will not provide.
2. In the economy, hauling pays badly, so haulers need to be pretty fast (= experienced) to make a living off it.
3. In general, an experienced dwarf can go quickly through your resources, using up, for instance, all the bones, so the other dwarves can never gain any skill in bone crafting.

=================

In my fortress, I have started training war animals, just for fun (and also in hope of them being more aggressive towards the cave dwellers once I decide to attack).

However, the very first result was a war giant tiger, which promptly challenged a wild giant tiger (just a few days later) and got its head ripped off (^_^;;
Let's hope that the war giant eagle does a better job.

Deathworks

Skippy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: April 18, 2010, 07:28:10 am »

Trying not to starve/dehydrate. Because of the way irrigation is now bugged and needed for sand/soil I wasn't able to farm for about a year. I was slowly but surely running out of food and booze. I tried using murky pools nearby but they dried up or evaporated while I was channeling. I had a brook, but it was across the map from my fortress. In desperation I started butchering animals as I got about 30 migrants at once. For about half a year I was on the brink while I had to dig across the map in a large irrigation/well system spanning about 4 or 5 z-levels to my fort, requiring about five manual screw pumps pumping at once. And it worked, and amazingly, nobody drowned (two guys fell into a channel but luckily because I stopped the other pumping it was only 3/7 water, close call. I had to dig them out).
Rivers full of carp are dangerous, but ponds full of carp are downright deadly.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: April 18, 2010, 08:41:40 am »

Hi!

Skippy: Do you have any natural vegetation on your map? Surface farming does not need irrigation, just normal soil or sand on the surface. Just place farm plots there ignoring the erroneous yellow warning. Have your dwarves gather plants to get your first seeds (once the plants are eaten) and you are all set up.

==============

Currently, I wish I had a drowning chamber in my trade depot to show those greedy dwarven traders what I think of them. If they weren't so well guarded, ...
Ahem.
To provide a proper save for a bug report, I am currently trying to preserve my image bearing trade goods.
In addition, I am getting close to have the 10 blades for the second weapon trap (this time, things are going relatively slowly (^_^;; ). But even with just one weapon trap, I can be quite lucky: A wild elephant tried to enter my fortress through the trade tunnel (3 tiles wide) where my only weapon trap is located. And moving around, the elephant ran into the trap, moved around heavily wounded triggering it again until the trap got bored and simply chopped of its head.
I really love my weapon traps.
(However that #^&%#& elephant got its mutilated corpse stuck in the poor trap; fortunately, already a dwarf is on his way to clean the trap - since the elephant was by itself, no problem)

I also noticed that one of my war giant tigers has picked up the habit of following a cat-loving dwarf around ... I should check in the raws if the tiger is related to cats as far as the game is concerned. If so, then this is really cool.

Deathworks

Skippy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: April 18, 2010, 09:22:31 am »

Deathworks; Yeah, I did that a little bit but there were few plants to provide much of a stable crop yield for any lengthy period of time and then I got a huge migrant wave and more drastic measures were needed.

Regardless, my plan worked, surprisingly, so now I'm not in much of a bad threat.
Rivers full of carp are dangerous, but ponds full of carp are downright deadly.

MooUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: April 18, 2010, 10:14:47 am »

Irrigation with a bucket for underground farms is not difficult to get working, at least for a small farm. I got distracted and managed to completely flood my intended farming area in one fort - so if my dwarfs can fill it up that fast with buckets, it can definitely be done just enough for mud. A 4x4 or so farm should keep you going while you build a larger one.

Just starting a new fort in 0.31.03 with slightly altered cavern worldgrn settings. Trying to get more open caverns rather than the standard mess of pillars - I want to be able to build stuff in there! :)

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: April 18, 2010, 01:09:37 pm »

I just got a ridiculously expensive artifact - a raw adamantine piccolo decorated with Draltha bone and some other stuff, worth 604800*. At the time I got it, the rest of my fortress was worth about 800000*, including a platinum-studded platinum anvil worth 96000*.
くコ:彡

Ardenn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: April 18, 2010, 06:27:54 pm »

Say hello to "The Balls of Dredging"

I can see forever...

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: April 18, 2010, 08:24:29 pm »

Game is bugged, getting no noble immigrants. I also have no neighboring hostile civs for sieges. Faced with this boring situation, I have abandoned my front gate defenses and I am constructing a weapon of mass destruction for the underground. It's a giant reservoir of water with >28,000 tiles (x 7 units of water per tile) on 6 z-levels. It bridges my 4x4 map from side to side (minus a border of 3 spaces for caravans to arrive) and it's 45 tiles wide. It pours down the stairs to the underworld.

Once the last floodgate is linked to the lever, I'll begin pumping from the brook to fill it. Then I will breech the HFS and drown everything I can. Whatever survives the water will have to cross 60 weapons traps with 100% steel weapons, 200 stonefall traps, 50 cage traps (plus however many more I can install before the reservoir is filled) and all of that is before they arrive at the military. I have 30 axedwarfs in steel waiting at the end of the hall in their barracks. All of this is built in a separate fortress from the main one, it's linked by a long sealed bridge/hall. There is no way into the fort without passing through all of this.

One way or the other, this is going to be fun.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: April 18, 2010, 08:27:30 pm »

I'm on an island right now and there's definitely some nasty stuff deep below our fort, so I'm definitely interested in draining the ocean in to the caverns simply to have a good portion of my fort eventually surrounded by water. 
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 3842