Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109124 times)

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2265 on: April 16, 2010, 11:42:20 am »

Can only sort of get the new military screen to work: my uniforms aren't quite on and my dwarves aren't quite armored. I will spare you the assorted bitching but they sit around not doing anything or occasionally drilling dodge.

Drilled down into the cavern: The Ogres are pissed.The Ogres are totally pissed.... They are also apparently building destroyers.... Not cool.... Bronze upright speartraps ftw.... Screw you Ogres.

I've set up a dairy farm with shrubs and underground trees sprouting among the cattle. It is keeping my fort alive, because I didn't know you needed to irrigate soil in this version, behold the power of cheese....

My newly minted nobles have issued demands and mandates. They plead for a reasonable resolution, but naturally I'm not listening. I"ve never had to make bedrooms in soil before, but I am now. I find it funny that shrubs are sprouting among the beds....

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: April 16, 2010, 02:31:04 pm »

I managed to gen a map that I like and dug all the way down to the Cavern layer, which using tweaked parameters was the sort of shape I'm after.
I started to set up an entrance when a resident She-Troll took notice of my mason and chased her all the way back up the main shaft to the surface.
I quickly assigned a meeting area around the entrance and deconstructed my wagon so my small army of wardogs would come to the rescue, they arrived just as the Troll was starting to beat on the mason but she didn't get too badly injured. The first two dogs to arrive attacked the troll, causing little damage but scaring it enough to make it run back down into the cavern with them both in hot pursuit - when they reached the cavern floor a Giant Toad turned up and immediately caught the attention of one of the dogs who broke off to duel the amphibious monster.
I reassigned the meeting area to the entrance at the cavern level so the rest of the dogs would reach the action.
The toad and the other dog fought each other somewhat innefectively for a long time.
Meanwhile the rest of the dogs had joined in on the troll and the rest of my dwarves had congregated at the cavern just as the dogs chased the troll into the meeting area, the dwarves scattered in panic - what ensued was the most hilarious Benny-Hill/Scooby Doo chase scene you can imagine. The dogs chased the troll all over the place, sometimes into parts of the cavern that hadn't been uncovered, so I had no idea what was going on in there until moments later when they would reappear - the dwarves fled from the troll (even though the troll was fleeing from everything else) to all corners of the cavern, conveniently uncovering new areas while doing so. Eventually the dogs bought the troll down so it was unconcious and proceeded to gnaw on it - they're still doing this now as I type and I assume they won't leave the troll til it dies - the rest of the dwarves eventually migrated back to the meeting area just as the duelling toad and dog arrived in the same spot, at that moment the toad grabbed the dog by the hind leg and shook it to death, then seeing it was surrounded by dwarves it bolted for the surface. Meanwhile my fisherman who was on the surface doing his job, and completely oblivious to all this tomfoolery, was utterly shocked when a giant toad came crashing out of the entrance and threw itself into the pond, in a second the wounded and angry beast grabbed the poor fisherman by his lower body and shook him to death just like the dog.

In my head the Benny Hill music was playing the whole time :).

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: April 16, 2010, 06:51:54 pm »

Big blob of water paid me a visit.
And it was Fun.
It had cloud-of-dust attack, like one produced by cave-in. And it kept using it, knocking out everyone around it. And even knocking away bins, barrels and cages in stockpiles. Some goblins in cages flied 3 levels across.
Hacking at it with axes was useless, altho i chopped off its tail

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: April 16, 2010, 09:14:03 pm »

******* the bronze coloussus xxxx has arrived. not that i noted the name, being too busy panicking and assigning civs to a hastily designated burrow.

pull lever, close fort up inside with a bridge wall - unpause, let it run - 'dwarffort.exe has encountered an error and needs to close*

FFFFFFF
reloaded from the last save after df crashed on me. it promptly crashes a few more times once the megabeast shows up. apparently my fort is now sufficiently filthy rich to get megabeast attacks to spice up the usual snatcher showing up. here's to hoping that this time around, it won't crash once i try to deal with the giant that's shown up this time. perhaps if i do not designate and assign burrows..

I have just experienced this situation myself. Ettin shows up, I panic and designate emergency burrows, scramble the military, close the gates, unpause and...

dwarffort.exe has encountered an error and needs to close.

Adding to bug tracker now, issue 1202

It seems to be related to the assignment of civilians to burrows via the burrows screen; in the giant attack that just passed I assigned civs to burrows via civilian alert instead and thankfully df didn't crash.

on the not so bright side - decidedly underwhelming giant attack. since it did not have the trapavoid tag, once it reached a cage trap.... at least now i have a more interesting option to use when disposing of goblins and satyrs.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #2269 on: April 16, 2010, 10:12:28 pm »

I just had a laugh at the sissy troll (zombie troll!) I just caught in a cage trap.

"His broad nose is sharply hooked.  He has low cheekbones, and he has  very round chin.  He has a high squeaky voice."

Urist McBadass cancels Kill Zombie Troll: ROFL
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: April 16, 2010, 10:29:34 pm »

found out a lot of awesome stuff:
1. if you kill the zombie groundhogs on my map, new ones will spread from the map edges... as much bones as I want  :)
2. if you appoint a noble, it can occur that a dwarf displays this action in his artworks  ;D
3. (actually a question) I have found that my dwarves are earing snow from outside in my aboveground fort, is this preventable with the help of a burning lignite bin? :D if yes, also awesome ;)

Furthermore, I managed to make an all-bauxite room with windows composed of ruby and star ruby, which looked pretty cool until the dwarves got the snow there, too...

FlamingCow

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Cow!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: April 16, 2010, 11:07:28 pm »

Gah, just had to abandon my third fort in a row due to 5 of my starting 7 becoming victims of Death By Rain >.> Ah well, here we go again :D

Loving it, I really am.

Roderick Jaynes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DORF HARD: WITH A VENGEANCE
« Reply #2272 on: April 17, 2010, 01:14:32 am »

I have one dwarf left. After going into hiding, Urist McClane returned from the depths to slaughter the goblins that had killed his 55 comrades. A second ambush proved no match for his pick.

Yipee kay yay, motherfucker.

Geti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: April 17, 2010, 01:39:27 am »

Aw Geti that suckkkss.  I save every time I do anything half way interesting.  Only takes 30 seconds or so to save and get back in...I DO want a save that doesn't quit someday though.
I usually have autosave on, but neglected it and paid for it I suppose. oh well.
I have one dwarf left. After going into hiding, Urist McClane returned from the depths to slaughter the goblins that had killed his 55 comrades. A second ambush proved no match for his pick.

Yipee kay yay, motherfucker.
^^^^ this is awesome.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: April 17, 2010, 02:04:59 am »

A humongous magnetite and hematite vein.  Add in the massive layers of flux and this map is definitely one of my most promising...no magma right now, but there are enough trees to meet our needs for the time being.

Gotta love DF 2010...I think this is the first time I was overjoyed to get a metalcrafter in my first migration wave.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: April 17, 2010, 02:08:16 am »

If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: April 17, 2010, 03:35:52 am »

Dig down. Way down.

Yeah, I hit cavern level 2 fairly quickly after breaching the upper level...this seems like a shallow map, but there's still definitely a while to go before I hit magma based on what I've checked out so far (I usually don't check z-levels, simply to keep the element of surprise about just how deep the map is).  The cavern seems pretty dry other than a few ponds, so hopefully I'll avoid hitting a huge subterranean sea and can dig down fairly easily.  Thankfully I've already got magma-safe materials on hand for the pumps I'll need to bring it to the surface, so it's mostly a matter of time.

However, I'm going to build up my military first to clear out the cave swallow man civilization down there because there's a beautiful water source with a ton of cave fish/lobster as well as a very nice mushroom forest and I don't need dwarves picked off by their blowgunners...
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Peasant

• Bay Watcher
  • MANY WHELPS NOW HANDLE IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: April 17, 2010, 03:52:14 am »

Embarked into a site with a river, usually i embark in a place with no river, so this is amazing! I'm playing as a goblin civilization, the bald scourge. There's a reptile, antman and amphibian man civilization in my site too. I brought a bunch of trolls with me (7 females and 3 males) although i'm not sure if they breed. They all have a bunch of large clothes that they're wearing. I'm playing with the genesis mod so some of my people are barghests too!

I've fiddled around with the entity_default file but i the goblins just don't seem to want to cut down trees, shame i can't build rock beds.

There's some reptilepeople with their upper body gone, typical.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 04:20:01 am by Peasant »

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: April 17, 2010, 04:20:18 am »

My fully metal-geared 3 squads of dwarves, who inclue a "Legendary Fighter/High Master Axedwarf" (+7 other fighting related skills fairly high) military commander and other heroes, defeated a goblin ambush (2 squads) without a single injury to any dwarf.

I love my military right now.

It's quite funny tho, my top 3 soldiers are all women. "Incredibly muscular" women at that. Must be quite a sight.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 04:23:05 am by Mandaril »
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: April 17, 2010, 04:37:10 am »

My last 4 forts, I abandon to go to new versions of the game, have had so much bit coal that I haven't even bothered with magma.  Sad?  Probably.  But it works. (I just keep two furnaces doing bitcoal all the time).  No pumping, no massive staircases. 
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 3842