Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109308 times)

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2190 on: April 12, 2010, 06:50:08 pm »

Yeah, I think they won't train beasts in cages.  Which sucks.

this just happened:

The Cyclops grabs The Farmer by the x<pig tail fiber shoe>x with her right hand!
The cyclops grabs the farmer by the nose with her left upper arm!
The Cyclops throws The Farmer by the nose with The Cyclops's left upper arm!
Kubuk Kadolobok, Farmer, has died after colliding with an obstacle.

She's dead on top of a farm plot now.  I swear, I heard a "tsew!" sound when he threw her.  she shot off at 40fps.  I have no idea what obstacle she collided with; when I zoomed, it brought me two z-levels above the plot.  I'm really hoping it was a bird I hadn't noticed.  Now I've got a "Caged Guest" sitting in my stockpiles, waiting for me to get my archery squad together to pump it full of pointless holes through fortifications.

I had my suturer go crazy through a shelless mood earlier.  I had three fishers fishing for some turtles, but nothing was turning up.  Now I've got a weaponsmith drawing pictures of shells...  and lo, I catch two turtles!  Someone's cleaning them now.  I only hope it happens in time...  he's asking for a lot, so this will be awesome!

Two edits:

1) I keep forgetting to unburrow my mooded.  He's gathering stuff now.
2) Holy fuck is that goblin riding a giant toad
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 06:59:06 pm by PopeRichardCorey »
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: April 12, 2010, 07:18:58 pm »

2) Holy fuck is that goblin riding a giant toad
Might as well say goodbye to your dwarves, Toady One is coming.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: April 12, 2010, 07:43:29 pm »

Well, that was fun...

Well, I just got my fort up to 80 population, and a siege came within a season.  We've got a bit less than 300000 created wealth.  (More, now that the mid-siege mood is complete.)  I got a single squad of 15 swordsgobs, and a hammergob RIDING A GIANT TOAD.

They killed a dog who attacked them, and a kitten who happened to be outside, while the rest of my fortress ran inside.

Then the giant toad jumped into the outdoor well.  The hammergob drowned.  The giant toad is still sitting there, and most of the swordsgobs are standing around the totally bloodsoaked well, despite a clear (read: heavily trapped) path into my fortress.  I tried locking and unlocking a door, and two of them came forward!

One got hit on the head with a rock and trapped in a stonefall trap, and the next killed my war grizzly bears.  He then headed back to join his teammates, only to get caught in a cage trap.

The goblins who are still free chase animals around willy nilly once they see them, but will never come inside.  Some of them are standing around above my fort.  Three more got caught in the cage traps I have set up in a row to collect goats.

Then the game crashed when I tried to create a new squad of one hauler to lure them in.  Summer came during the siege, so I have a save in the middle.  I'll try to reproduce that crash then report it, later.  Much later.  Too much DF buuurns.

Score at crash:

1/16 goblins drowned by toad mount
5/16 goblins caught in cages because they wanted to kill some kittens
10/16 goblins running around at random killing kittens and donkey foals who keep running outside for no clear reason, or standing around a bloodsoaked well where their leader died
1/1 Giant Toads hanging out in my well

At least half a dozen stray animals killed

8 dwarves spamming "place item in tomb canceled" over the animals

2 war grizzlies dead

80 dwarves alive

1 artifact mace produced (bearing three images: Dwarves founding this fortress, the artifact chain mail (The Eviscerated Modesty, I believe) from my last fortress, and I can't remember precisely, but I believe the last was of cave flies.)

9 Swordsmen standing guard across the safety bridge, waiting for their equipment to all be finished and allocated so that they can acutally do something.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: April 12, 2010, 07:46:31 pm »

If you get a well frog again, you should make a shrine to it. :P
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

absynthe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: April 12, 2010, 07:49:34 pm »

MANDATE: Make slade items (3/3)

>:(

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: April 12, 2010, 07:57:37 pm »

Gullian: You said something about training war bears. Remember, not ALL kinds of bears can be trained to "war"-status. They have to be specific kind of bears. Don't remember which.
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: April 12, 2010, 08:00:24 pm »

If you get a well frog again, you should make a shrine to it. :P

I think it was already in there when the save occurred.  As soon as the siege is taken care of, I'll find out if it's willing to let me build a wall around the well and not path out of my little reservoir via the brook.  Then I'll start drawing up the plans.

Cerion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: April 12, 2010, 08:09:12 pm »

Killing a forgotten beast so the dwarves could fish for turtles in order to get shells for an artifact

Watching the engravers record the history of the fortress and go into too much detail about everyone who got accidentally hired and fired as militia commander for 10 seconds

Feeding Armok by dumping tons of stone and body parts down a 35-level chute into the magma sea

Appreciating butchers for a change due to the large amount of meat that wanders into the fortress

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: April 12, 2010, 08:21:57 pm »

He knows his priorities. :P

endimiao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: April 12, 2010, 08:32:34 pm »

So, there I was, a fortress with 5 artifacts done, food stockpiles so overflowing that i had to turn off farming, an underground spanning 171 z-levels wich i only started to graze as of yet (found a cave almost 20 levels high with only a single giant olm at the bottom, fending off the ocasional kobold...

...and then the goblins came. Ambush! , almost on top of my main gates. First unpleasant surprise: the option to disallow civilians into outdoors isnt there anymore, so a few got slain by the approaching creatures. Then came the equipment hurdles: axedwarves that stubornly refused to let go of their wooden axes, hammerdwarves wich are good at breaking every limb of enemies but lowsy at actually killing (on my arena tests in most of my one-vs-one armored fights the dwarf with the hammer almost always won...taking a rather long time doing it), and hunters-turned-crossbowmen wich decided that bolts are for pansies and "crosshammers" being the true dwarven way... 3x5 dwarf squads, this against about 5 goblins, almost each of them a spearman.

Results: 8 dwarven deaths, 1 being a baby and 4 civilians caught outside, 3 axe lords dead (clad in iron chain) and 5 other warriors wounded (im impressed with hospitals by the way... except for one critically wounded dwarf, still bed-ridden, all the others recovered in a fraction of the time they would before.

So... some adjustements were in order. Made my main fortress into one major burrow, allowing only Woodcutters/Hunters and Engiminers outside (in the future im clading them at the very least in leather armor+shields and give them training). Placed some Wardogs in strategic positions and carpeted the entrance with cage/weapon/stonefall traps.

Another Ambush quickly sprung, with double the numbers of goblins, featuring 4 ranged goblins and an assortement of about 5-6 meleers. Ive let them test my traps before reaching my defenders. While they sucessfully bypassed a number of traps that in 40d would have probably killed 2 or 3 sieges worth of goblins, the surviving ones were severly weakened before engaging war dog/dwarf and mandrill alike. While i still had some equipment problems, this battle was sucessfully fought with 2 canine losses and a single civilian woodcutter death.
To add insult to injury, the ranged goblins got surprised by the guards of the first human caravan to reach my fortress... one of them literally whiping a goblin crossbowman to death.

And then i crashed. I have a seasonal save, but i'll have to redo this last battle all over again assuming they came again :p
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 08:36:55 pm by endimiao »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: April 13, 2010, 01:39:43 am »

Now I'm mad at two of my dwarves, I had a squad of four planed hammerdwarves, and I sent them to kill some troglodytes, well, it turns out only two go, the other two sleep, and I some time ago I ran out of coal, so I could not make two of the hammers, and I forgot to order it again. and guess where the hammers go? With the sleeping dwarves. So I had two dwarves (in armor mind you) fighting three troglodytes, with their hands, while the others sleep, you can imagine what happened next, they got mauled, well, I deconstructed one of the beds one of the ones with a hammer was sleeping on, he went up, and then got in combat, then the other one woke up and came to help, and they won the day.

So, that's why I now hate these two idiots, god I wish it was them getting hospitalized.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: April 13, 2010, 04:03:45 pm »

So I had my first siege in 2010. Nothing really awe inspiring, besides a goblin spearman riding a giant olm, leading about 15-20 axegobs to my gates. Surprisingly my two military dwarves who'd I'd given up on ever being able to actually fight, did pretty well. One had trained her way to legendary fighter and was an acomplished swordsdwarf, the other was competent fighter/axdwarf, both were fully decked out in metal armor I'd stolen early on from the caravan guards plus some I'd crafted later. They tore into the goblins, sending limbs flying left and right, sometimes even whole fully conscious goblins!

Unfortunately the battle was fought on the bridge crossing over what will one day become the lake above my fort. Below I still had my farms and a few stockpiles, while I waited for the spaces in the fort proper to open up. Amazingly the goblins  on the bridge caused relatively few interruptions...untill my axedwarf started flinging goblins over the edge and into the pit.

To save my fort while my soldiers continued to battle up on the bridge I drafted my 4 legendary miners, 3 woodcutters and a couple random redshirts to defend the fort from these fallen gobos. Turns out legendary miners and woodcutters dont last a second against axgobos. Thankfully no goblin made it into the fort proper, but I ended up loosing about 10 dwarves, including my baroness, and 3 of my 4 miners. My military dwarves both made it out of the battle without a scratch, then 5 seconds after it was over my swordsdwarf drowned :(. Appearently she dodge/got knocked off the bridge and into a murky pool.
This has given me the faith I need to train up a bigger military. With luck I'll finish the next phase of my fort soon and finally be able to finally flood my future lake.

Shortly before this I had a giant come visit my fort;just as the dwarven caravan was leaving. It was rather disapointing, the xbow dwarf filled her full of holes then proceeded to beat her scull in all in relativly short order.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #2202 on: April 13, 2010, 04:31:25 pm »

TWACK!

"Nice shot Hank."

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: April 13, 2010, 04:58:27 pm »

Get him some CDs.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: April 13, 2010, 05:04:37 pm »

Get him some CDs.
I should have seen that coming, since that is the first 'slade' result Wikipedia has. ::)
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 3842