Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109445 times)

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2160 on: April 12, 2010, 12:04:02 am »

I often use ramps when I'm digging near the surface so I get nice clean walls, but I neglected to check if the very thin grassy area (it was only three or four tiles wide!) on the Z-level above my camp had any trees on it. I just wish he hadn't vanished so many noble positions.

Channeling leaves ramps now. It's essentially the same as traditional ramping, but designated and mined from above. Which means they can't dig out a tile with a tree on it, which means no collapses.

In other news, I have mica and galena sitting in magma and refusing to melt. I wonder if it's just going to take a while, their melting points were changed, or something else is going on?

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: April 12, 2010, 12:07:36 am »

In other news, I have mica and galena sitting in magma and refusing to melt. I wonder if it's just going to take a while, their melting points were changed, or something else is going on?
Melting points have changed. Wiki

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: April 12, 2010, 12:08:24 am »

Had prepared an ambush with war dogs and my military to goblins, and a damned moutain goat enter in the mountain hall and takes my military right to the goblins. If my fortress survived, it will became famous for its *mountain goat meat roasts* !

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: April 12, 2010, 12:32:58 am »

Melting points have changed. Wiki

Ah, thanks. Thank Toady for the (h)ide setting, then.

belannaer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: April 12, 2010, 02:05:06 am »

Finally started a real fortress with the new version after trying out tons of stuff and waiting for some of the fixes (want more).

[Initial report on a new growing threat to the kingdom of the West Glaze]

A group of dwarves known as the Umbralcouncil have for decades caused unrest and ill ideas within our society. Their beliefs are against our laws and religion and are believed to have committed many atrocious acts from animal sacrifice to assassinations of high-ranking nobility. Although there has never been any evidence to tie them to these acts. King's advisors and generals have been worried by the Umbralcouncil's gaining strength and influence within the kingdom. They have amassed large stockpiles of goods for some nefarious purposes.

Couple of seasons ago this purpose came to fruition as their advance party of seven departed from our capital with considerable amount of goods with a plan of starting a new outpost. They call this new outpost "Mirrordeep, the Citadel of Shadows". Our spies tell that during the spring they have build massive bridge systems underground into the stalactite pillars stretching from the cavern ceiling into the underground sea below and hollowed them for living space.

In the summer six more dwarves affiliated with the Umbralcouncil traveled with haste to the new outpost quickly after they received word that the caverns had been breached and they immediately started to help with the bridge building and now construction railings to the bridges. Our chief architect regard that as a very good idea in the location they have set up their outpost to prevent denizens of the underground from entering the outpost and keeping the dwarves from falling into the underground sea.

Architects have also identified one of the buildings that the spies described them as a trade depot, which seems to indicate that the Umbralcouncil intends to do trade eventhough they seem to have deep hatred against other sentient beings, even their dwarf kindred. King's advisors warn about sending a trade party there as it might be seized and the traders killed but the king insists on keeping up at least minimal relations with this new outpost if only just to have the outpost liaison spy on them.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: April 12, 2010, 03:25:31 am »

Hi!

My current fortress may be heading for an end - or at least an increased risk of that.

My expedition leader died in the autumn of 1058 thanks to a classic - she died of thirst because no one gave her water, probably due to a bug I triggered myself (basically, I created the hospital after she got her upper body cut open, resulting in her overwriting her clean self with rest). Fortunately, that was so obvious that I was able to make the manager the new trader before her death. Thus, I am only lacking the leader position right now.

Still, this adds to several disappointments with this fortress, so I may push towards seeing if my dwarves can handle the presumably firebreathing capybara down in the caves. So, I will make a little bit of soap for the hospital, trap the corridor to the prospective breach (in case the fortress survives, I don't want trolls and troglodytes messing things up). Once these preparations are made, I will open the floodgate and mine stairs to the cavern floor. And then I will send in all my woodcutters :) :)

Deathworks

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: April 12, 2010, 07:19:43 am »

Mayor:
Mandates: Make adamantine items (2/2).

*facepalm*

I guess that's something found Deep Down, and I'm at lvl -8. Good thing I don't have anything that resembles a hammerer.

*edit* "Dwarven child has died of thrist". "xxx, clothier, has died of thirst"
* Mandaril checks stocks. Yup, 1500 units of drinks and a drinking zone determined.
:'(
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 07:26:45 am by Mandaril »
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

LegitMacgyver

• Bay Watcher
  • Macgyver cancels make bomb, can't find paper clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: April 12, 2010, 07:49:23 am »

This pretty much summarizes the current state of my fort:

Keolah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: April 12, 2010, 08:32:38 am »

*edit* "Dwarven child has died of thrist". "xxx, clothier, has died of thirst"
* Mandaril checks stocks. Yup, 1500 units of drinks and a drinking zone determined.
:'(

Drinking zones are for water, not booze. Make sure that the booze stores aren't in an area that they can't access due to burrow assignments.

My fort: While training miners, accidentally breached the brook. "Oh no! Save the booze!" After the dwarves scurry to bring the booze stores to the surface, I notice that the "fort" is very slowly filling with 1-deep water and that the brook is practically running out of water.. Oh yeah, it would take a while for that piddly brook to flood FOUR ENTIRE LAYERS worth of dug-out soil. I do wish you could just drop a floodgate from above or something, though. Will have to see about stopping this up, and then watch the shallow water evaporate. *snicker*
There's no use crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of *cat tallow roast*.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: April 12, 2010, 09:24:46 am »

I often use ramps when I'm digging near the surface so I get nice clean walls, but I neglected to check if the very thin grassy area (it was only three or four tiles wide!) on the Z-level above my camp had any trees on it. I just wish he hadn't vanished so many noble positions.

Channeling leaves ramps now. It's essentially the same as traditional ramping, but designated and mined from above. Which means they can't dig out a tile with a tree on it, which means no collapses.
Actually, if you mine out the area below before channeling above, you'll get no ramps. And if you channel in a way that ramps have no connection to an adjacent tile above, the ramps will disappear.

Because of the first one, I have gotten collapese due to channel, not helped by the new weird mining pathfinding system.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Glod Glodsson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: April 12, 2010, 09:40:49 am »

I finaly found a use for the "Rubber Logs" I bought of the dwarf traders...
my hospital now has four 3x3 rooms with rubber floors and walls... not sure if I can use them for anything yet... but fun to imagine... perhaps I could put insane dorfs caught in cage traps or such in there.  ;D
DF Wisdom: Just because Urist killed a dragon bare handed, while in his birthday suit, does not mean he does not enjoy a cat meat bruschetta served with a keg of strawberry wine.

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: April 12, 2010, 10:13:31 am »

Drinking zones are for water, not booze. Make sure that the booze stores aren't in an area that they can't access due to burrow assignments.

Yeah. My Booze is among the food in the stockpiles, and I don't have burrows. I only meant I had both booze AND water.

----
Megabeast event.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That was quite fun. My first DF2010 megabeast. I did not dare to try and capture it and risk it getting free in middle of my fort and all the civilians.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 10:18:20 am by Mandaril »
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: April 12, 2010, 11:24:57 am »

Ettins are semimegabeasts.

....Ooooh, wait, so smb's are coming too now? Nice!
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: April 12, 2010, 11:41:11 am »

I finaly found a use for the "Rubber Logs" I bought of the dwarf traders...

Sorry to disappoint you, but rubber logs come from a rubber tree, whose sap you'd use to make rubber... the logs themselves aren't actually rubber.

Which makes me want to add a reaction to the Alchemist's Workshop to make rubber...
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: April 12, 2010, 11:45:20 am »

Ettins are semimegabeasts.

....Ooooh, wait, so smb's are coming too now? Nice!

:o

It had an announcement when it entered, it had a big name, was gigantic and flashed legendary. I just assumed it was a full-fledged megabeast.
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 3842