Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109674 times)

Guilliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2115 on: April 10, 2010, 01:24:57 pm »

Goblin Siege!

I have the habit of naming my Militia commander 'Guilliman' And giving him the best of the best. Tho for some reason he lost his custom name here (load removed it oO)

The axe is Just under legendary quality, and has 4 types of bone decorations, shell decoration and quite a few metal decorations! He's badass.

(spoiler for large image)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Poor goblin <.<
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 01:26:40 pm by Guilliman »

Keolah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: April 10, 2010, 02:17:46 pm »

Well, that's the end of Tinsparks. Got bored and decided to end it more spectacularly than abandoning... (Sick of my location and world, not very well planned out layout, etc.)

Lots of fun! Time for a new fort! Yay!
There's no use crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of *cat tallow roast*.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: April 10, 2010, 02:47:35 pm »

Lots of fun! Time for a new fort! Yay!

My current Militia Commander is like that - I have to lock the armour stockpile to keep him from running twenty tiles to the alert, then doubling back to Pick Up Equipment, over and over again.

I love doors.

Guilliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: April 10, 2010, 05:48:38 pm »

Currently fighting a Zombie Goat.

It has lost all his muscles, all his limbs, teeth, ears, etc and wont die! :(

Tho my militia is getting super tough.

Malrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: April 10, 2010, 06:27:30 pm »

I'm currently building a hospital. Also trying to figure out how to deal with the local Grimelings which seem to be impervious to wrestling attacks. One in particular had over 15 pages of scars, all it's organs destroyed, yet managed to outlast it's 10 attackers who were starving to death.

Also some elves stopped by and sold me a giant eagle and a grizzly bear in cages, which I trained to war animals. They also sold me a Tigerman who was a Novice Suturer. I tried to make him the chief medical dwarf, but he can't be appointed to a noble position.

Still, a tigerman doctor... what could go wrong?

Nakanja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: April 10, 2010, 06:31:17 pm »

So one miner bravely stayed behind to flood out the fort.  As she just barely made it past the goblins, limping slowly due to a leg injury, and slammed shut the door with the water only seconds away, I noticed there were only two goblins left, who quickly became bored and wandered off the map.  Now the Dwarves are struggling to set up a colony in the underground, starving, boozeless, going mad one by one while being accosted by troglodytes all for nothing. 

Oh well, at least it'll make an interesting story for the new migrants who just showed up, if they can find a way past the aquifer.  The original fort seems to be one of the few places were it was possible to get through it to the rock.  And the giant toad that just showed up in their tunnel doesn't kill them.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: April 10, 2010, 07:03:10 pm »

This is the second time I've managed to flood my fort trying to irrigate... but I got incredibly lucky this time. Now I have an accidental waterfall, at least until the cave system fills up. There's one small diagonal breach at the bottom of my fortress's main stairway, and all the water is going straight down to that. Unfortunately, my miners are trapped in a chamber off of the farming area, and I don't think anyone can get to the wagon, so it looks like unless the miners can build another set of stairs, everyone will starve...
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: April 10, 2010, 08:01:38 pm »

Um, my announcements just told me that an uninvited guest is no longer enraged.

The thing is, though, is that he hasn't even visited yet...

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #2123 on: April 10, 2010, 10:30:54 pm »

Awesome.jpg is going on.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: April 10, 2010, 10:42:46 pm »

How long did that take you?
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #2125 on: April 10, 2010, 10:54:01 pm »

TOO DAMN LONG!   :o

The white parts are made of alunite.  The black parts in basalt.  The red is red glass (the save file's on a mod), the pink is rose gold, and the yellow is solid gold.

On top of it is an arrangement of orthoclase, along with clear glass and green glass windows.

In the center is an enclosed drop platform, which means I had to do a second scaffolding on the inside to build that part.

Fetus4188

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: April 11, 2010, 12:26:42 am »

I acquired a mating pair of grizzly bears from the elves.  Once my enormous open shaft to funland is complete, I plan to have an army of war bears on hand for the epic battle.

theothersteve7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: April 11, 2010, 12:52:18 am »

Major pathing clusterfuck.  I have a deep area that I need the stone hauled out of for magma smelting, but my dwarves would rather just sit on their hands.  I went ahead and made a stone stockpile just next to the rooms I need cleaned out, and there are dwarves right next to them.  In the "J" menu there are many inactive tasks to haul the stone to stockpiles outside, which I have blocked off due to a current goblin invasion.  So I really need the magma workshops to make some weapons to get rid of them... but... well, you get the picture.

I even tried deleting the stockpiles they're trying to move them to, but the task is still there.  It's infuriating.

Similarly, I can't set up the flood gates because they aren't "accessible" despite being three straight lines and two stairways from the mechanisms and levers.

I'm going to bed.  This game is burning me out pretty fast.  It was great when things worked.

bowdown2q

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: April 11, 2010, 01:03:02 am »

WALRUSES.

They seem to be migrating wildly. Like, away from my hunters.  Who now refuse to hunt them, as for some reason hunting requires a bow; dunno why they can't just stand there and let my Hunting Dog SHRED a walrus to bits. Ever watch a walrus/dog fight?  "Walrus charges the dog! The walrus' left tusk bruised the dog's left foreleg! The dog bites the walrus' head!" 3 frames later, ALL of the walrus' body had been broken open or crushed or cut. And both its kidneys and SPLEEN were missing entirely.

In other news, my well is the only thing keeping my dorfs from drinking the saltwater ICE that covers half the map, and plant gathering enabled on 2/3rds of the fort is keeping me alive.

They all seem to have issues with equipment and pathing. I think i'm just going to make like 4 more iron picks and see if i cant make my lye makers into miners.  And they wont sleep in their own damn beds!

The "create plant fiber bag cancelled: needs 60,000 plant fiber" is keeping me from making an artifact glass item too ><

I think i may have to edit some raws and make bags cost 1 fabric... or nothing, whatever.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: April 11, 2010, 01:08:45 am »

Hi!

Currently, I am sweating blood and water awaiting the first and probably fatal mood to come around. My surface pools do not yield any turtles/fish at all, so I have no way of getting shell.

In an effort to get shell, I dug a small tunnel down to the first cavern layer early on, breaching its ceiling (so no walkable access yet). Initially, I put a flood gate in the tunnel so I could investigate later. I did so because I saw some normal cave spider webs, and I remembered that they were poisonous in the 2D version and I don't have a hospital yet. In addition, I had no idea what critters would be down there (no civ entry, no units shown on the maps or the unit list). Of course, I hoped the cavern was abandoned (which would explain the good frame rate I had in the start of the map), but then again, it might be that just some forgotten beast ate all the rest and was sleeping in some corner.

However, over time, I grew more and more nervous, so I decided to dig out an access to the flood there in hope of exploring. After designating the mining, I looked around again, and I finally noticed why there was no critters in the cavern: Strewn between the normal cave spider webs were giant cave spider webs! I remember meeting that giant cave spider in an early 3D version fortress when accidentally embarking right on the entrance of a cave - it was NOT pretty. So, I closed the floodgate and cleared the mining designation right away.

In the meantime, I had prepared the first line of weapon traps for the main entrance area so I decided to start testing them on non-animals, turning invaders ON.

One thing I learned is: You can't get the combat report for snatchers that get slaughtered by your traps without having been uncovered (^_^;;

Interestingly enough, AFTER turning invaders on, I saw the first critters in the cave as well. All of a sudden, a group of troglodytes showed up in the uncovered section of the cave, several years after I breached the ceiling uncovering it. Thus, I assume that their spawning was limited by the invader flag.

In other news, despite my efforts to encourage a clean fortress, I have again blood spreading over the surface area with no rain in sight. And underground cleaning is also going on less often then required, but that is because I have a very busy fortress right now (preparing the hospital, expanding my food storage, mass producing trade goods, producing weapon trap components and armor for my first soldier... ).

Ah, and I also got another scare. One of the first kobold thieves I had was uncovered by a dwarf. And that kobold thief immediately attacked the dwarf, bruising her throat!!!! Fortunately, the kobold then swiftly fled, but that word "throat" had me really scared, especially with no hospital around. But it seems that the dwarf will be alright.

Deathworks
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 3842