Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109831 times)

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2070 on: April 08, 2010, 06:29:55 pm »

Things are going relatively well at roughdyes. well, except for the dear in the reservoir. I don't know how to get them out but at least they arn't hurting anything.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 06:36:36 pm by kopout »
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: April 08, 2010, 07:02:14 pm »

Things are going relatively well at roughdyes. well, except for the dear in the reservoir. I don't know how to get them out but at least they arn't hurting anything.

If you have a millitary...

[ s]quads, select a group, attac[k], select in [r]ectangle, then select the deer like you were designating woodcutting. Knights in the medieval ages use to binge on venison (deer meat) to build up their muscle mass, it's very good for you.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: April 08, 2010, 07:08:00 pm »

My old place collapsed due to a lack of barrels, which led to a lack of booze, which led to a refusal to make new barrels.  When I gave up, I tried to make them all insane and drown them, but I'm surprisingly awful at driving my little dudes crazy, so I had to just abandon after a while.

Here at Boltedscribes, in a brand new world, where I can actually interact with other civilizations, we're doing pretty well.  The elves are incredibly friendly; they brought us droves more wood and cloth and sun berries than I could afford; I had to drop some of the buzzards just to get the bears.  Three are chained up in the front so that they'll breed; the rest of the wee beasties I got from the elves are stayin' in their cages for now.

Speaking of cages, my expedition leader/woodcrafter/woodcutter got possessed and made an insanely boring cage out of two ash logs.  He went outside to get something (I don't know what he was up to)...  and was among the 7-8 dwarves who discovered a Goblin ambush.  Three were killed; three more injured... including the leader  I set up a hospital for the little bastards, with three beds, two traction benches, and a few coffers.  Instead of putting the sick dwarves in beds, they put the three in a single tile next to a lever.  I don't even know.

Apparently to punish him for making a boring artifact, the other dwarves refused to bring him water.  The other two who were injured got all the water and food they needed, but Mr. "Gets A Tomb" dried out.

No one's upset, fortunately.  I've got my smiths makin' armor and all for them, but I can't get my stupid arsenal dwarf to update the records.

I'll figure out how burrows work next time I come under attack.

WHICH HAPPENED THE INSTANT I TRIED TO POST THIS.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: April 08, 2010, 07:41:36 pm »

outpost liaison keeps smashing all my buildings before he can get to talk to the leader.

Any way your design can let you restrict your leader to one small area with nothing important in it or between it and your entrance, so the liasion doesn't go anywhere else?
it's not  that he's in his path destroying he just comes in and wrecks the fort like seeing buildings offends him then goes talk about trades.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Keolah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: April 08, 2010, 09:05:05 pm »

A herd of goats got loose in my fort, spooking all my dwarves until I managed to cage them.

Now I'm trying to figure out how they got in so some slightly more dangerous g's don't invite themselves in the same way...
There's no use crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of *cat tallow roast*.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: April 08, 2010, 09:26:57 pm »

If you have a millitary...

[ s]quads, select a group, attac[k], select in [r]ectangle, then select the deer like you were designating woodcutting. Knights in the medieval ages use to binge on venison (deer meat) to build up their muscle mass, it's very good for you.

I actualy whanted to catch them. I have a bunch of cage traps just out side the ramp out of the pool but they just swim there.
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: April 08, 2010, 09:39:07 pm »

Hi!

I have no idea how to get shell in DF 2010.

If that is a general question: You need to fish raw turtle and process it at the fishery (can be turned to automatic). The shell is generated there. Thus, you can no longer trade for shells by trading for turtles.

Deathworks

Psithief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: April 09, 2010, 12:21:07 am »

A goblin child snatcher just took a bath in my outdoor well after getting blood on his feet from wading through the puddles of dwarf blood outside my fortress entrance.

Awesome! I'm going to trap the well now.

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: April 09, 2010, 02:46:48 am »

Just fended off about 20 goblin spearmen, 2 goblin weapon masters, and a half-dozen trolls. My militia captain mayor got fifteen kills in the battle, leaving my entry hall a sea of blood and bodies.

Loving the new combat mechanics, it's what I've always wanted. Armor actually works, no wrestlers ripping giants apart, just hack and slash goodness.
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: April 09, 2010, 04:09:08 am »

Just fended off about 20 goblin spearmen, 2 goblin weapon masters, and a half-dozen trolls. My militia captain mayor got fifteen kills in the battle, leaving my entry hall a sea of blood and bodies.

Loving the new combat mechanics, it's what I've always wanted. Armor actually works, no wrestlers ripping giants apart, just hack and slash goodness.

Wow I can't even get my guys to pick up their armor.

Guilliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: April 09, 2010, 04:31:17 am »

Elf Trade guard went mental and killed the trade animals, then calmed down.

Now my dwarfs are stealing everything that touched the ground (aka, everything the elfs brought). Elfs are just standing there and looking at it.

Caravans can bring a lot of stuff ;o

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: April 09, 2010, 06:49:28 am »

That's probably a dwarven law, whatever hits the ground of the fortress belongs to the fortress. Actually, that sounds pretty in-line with Dwarven thinking. It's probably also why you need a trade depot to trade (it's neutral ground), and why deconstructing the depot makes everything belong to you.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: April 09, 2010, 06:55:01 am »

That's probably a dwarven law, whatever hits the ground of the fortress belongs to the fortress. Actually, that sounds pretty in-line with Dwarven thinking. It's probably also why you need a trade depot to trade (it's neutral ground), and why deconstructing the depot makes everything belong to you.

That needs to be in the wiki, it so right.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: April 09, 2010, 09:01:05 am »

Of course, the elves are still going to count it as stolen in terms of trade balance, and thus you're that much closer to open hostilities.

For good or ill, depending on your greed-hate value matrix.

Hi!

I have no idea how to get shell in DF 2010.

If that is a general question: You need to fish raw turtle and process it at the fishery (can be turned to automatic). The shell is generated there. Thus, you can no longer trade for shells by trading for turtles.

Deathworks

I figured that, just hoping I'd missed something. However, I'm stymied by a lack of fishable ponds, and a forgotten beast in the underground, whom I was raising that military to deal with.

Atleast I can reclaim his steel armour and battle axe. Guess I'd better get started on his tomb - crazy or not, he fought well.

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: April 09, 2010, 09:31:17 am »

Snodub: Come any closer and the baby gets it!
Kadol: RAAARGH!

The Goblin Thief stabs The Dwarven Baby in the right lower arm with her ({large copper dagger}), tearing apart the muscle!
A sensory nerve has been severed!
The ({large copper dagger}) has lodged firmly in the wound!
The Goblin Thief loses hold of the ({large copper dagger}).
The militia commander hacks The Goblin Thief in the head with her (silver battle axe) and the severed part sails off in an arc!

I love combat reports so much. <3
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 3842