Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109822 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2055 on: April 07, 2010, 08:24:21 pm »

Finally killed that damn Marsh Titan. Killed one Recruit, and somehow knocked someone's pet dog down onto a weapon trap, turning it into pre-butchered meat. Also ripped the leg off a soldier-mother, who is stuck in a refuse pile yet still trying to go to a Dodging Demonstration with her baby in her arms. Another Dwarf was also knocked onto a weapon trap(5/5 discs and balls, some higher than <no quality>), but he survived the loss of several body parts. I suspect he also was the one who killed it, since he got pushed up to Legendary in both Fighter and Wrestler.

I kept a back up save in case I decide whether or not the battle could have gone just a bit better. I doubt it, considering how the other ones went...
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Urist Mcbeardybeard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Oilboarded
« Reply #2056 on: April 07, 2010, 10:19:10 pm »

The year was 1051.

A collection of vagrants and drunks from The Big Gem, the dominant Dwarf civilization, set out to establish a new outpost in the Spine of Nature, an imposing mountain range in the heart of a insect-ridden jungle.

On arrival, the group found themselves in an interesting series of box canyons. One in particular offered natural defenses, so a large hole was bashed in the side of the siltstone wall. To force any attacker to come in from the far end, the upward slopes around the canyon face and the level above it were demolished. Food and other supplies were moved into the, well, big hole. After a celebratory toast getting hammered, they called it 'Oilboarded'. Much rejoicing was heard, quickly interrupted by raccoons.

Before the raccoon problem could even be considered, one of the woodcutters reported a rhesus monkey had stolen his axe! Clearly the woodland critters could not be trusted - the newly established carpenter's workshop began sharpening the first of many pointy sticks. While the critter defense plan was being put into place, the dwindling food supply became a primary concern. A section was hollowed out below the hole, and a tunnel was drilled out, with several rooms with a sandy floor, conveniently located beneath a pool several levels above the fortress. With some work, the water was forced to drain down into the sand rooms, muddying them. A grate was installed in case any of the kleptomaniac local wildlife could swim.

A problem with this system arose, however - the torrential rains the area is subjected to every season except winter fill the pool quickly, draining it down into the already soaking farms. The area was sealed in with a bauxite door, and a large 'Do Not Enter' sign hung. The flooding stopped, and the dwarves set themselves to the task of mushroom farming. While the farms were being established, noises from outside attracted the attention of some woodcutters. The rhesus monkeys had returned, however, they did not count on the triple rows of wooden weapon traps and cage traps. The group was annihilated; the sole survivor watched from a cage in the place of honor at the new dining hall as his confederates were devoured. Every proper dwarf loves rhesus pieces. And bone bolts. Lots and lots of bone bolts.

The dwarves moved quickly, establishing the still first, of course, then the remainder of the buildings needed for expansion. When the dwarf caravan arrived at the end of the first winter, an anvil was purchased and a metalcrafter erected. The hills were unbelievable rich with ore and iron was quickly smelted and work on building the implements of war began. While building a kennel,  a scream was heard - a goblin snatcher was trying to steal a child! Before anyone could react, two more quickly appeared - a rush of snatchers! All of which failed to avoid the cage traps entirely. The goblins were hauled to the animal pile and disarmed. An interrogation revealed they had come from..

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We stopped asking them questions at this point, as the nearby hippie commune elven civilization 'The Berry of Pondering' decided to send a trade caravan.

After they arrived we eagerly brought forth the trinkets we had hacked up and traded for a bag of prickle berry seeds and some other crap. Wanting more of their wares, the goblins were ordered brought up for trade. After all, the elves and the goblins were at war; perhaps they could be of value?

This was a mistake; the goblins grew gigantic testicles as soon as they saw they were to be sold to their hated enemies and burst out of the cages, fleeing out the door - and directly across the traps. The survivor, with a pierced lung from a pointy stick, fell into a cage trap and was hauled back to the stockpile.

As the elves were leaving, one of the pointy-eared freaks made an offhand comment that 'this box canyon is great but if the goblins show up in force they're going to mash you against these rocks like so much monarch butterfly brains'. Considering the expedition's complete failure to convince anyone to even pick up an axe, other than the woodcutter and the single dwarf who apparently had some skill using one (McBeardy), the point was well taken..
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 07:12:12 pm by Urist Mcbeardybeard »

Urist Mcbeardybeard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Oilboarded
« Reply #2057 on: April 07, 2010, 10:26:22 pm »

Keolah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: April 08, 2010, 09:23:31 am »

After he slaughtered six goblins with his bare hands without a scratch on him, my dwarves made the militia commander their new mayor. Then he proceeded to mandate construction of iron objects, and I haven't gotten any iron yet.

Some seasons following this, a migrant girl matured to adulthood... and immediately wound up as mayor. At the age of twelve. *blinks*
There's no use crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of *cat tallow roast*.

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: April 08, 2010, 10:16:13 am »

My  fortress is on high alert because there is a flesh ball roaming the caverns.
Those things are impossible to kill.

EDIT: YES! Caught it in a cage trap.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 10:18:44 am by derekiv »

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: April 08, 2010, 10:55:18 am »

What. What the ....?

Some of the earlier corpses of killed animals just rotted into skulls and bones. Corpses rot in this fort. Hurrah \o/

Best fort in this version (3rd DF2010 fort). Just bought stuff from elves for like 20 000. And I got magma. Now just to train military well enough to handle anything goblins etc might throw at me.
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: April 08, 2010, 11:03:20 am »

outpost liaison keeps smashing all my buildings before he can get to talk to the leader. it makes keeping the guy over a pain since killing him would end all trades I'm still waiting out for better gear so the demon attack won't end up being a choking party.
also I found a spot where the magma lake has a shore.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

MooUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: April 08, 2010, 12:25:08 pm »

outpost liaison keeps smashing all my buildings before he can get to talk to the leader.

Any way your design can let you restrict your leader to one small area with nothing important in it or between it and your entrance, so the liasion doesn't go anywhere else?

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: April 08, 2010, 01:16:55 pm »

My militia commander got elected mayor, and then immediately mandated the construction of short swords, which was incredible and fitting since my militia was under-equipped.

Just fended off another goblin ambush with two casualties, but wound up with a silver great axe I'm anxious to put to good use.
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: April 08, 2010, 01:56:39 pm »

Hi!

Thanks to the release of the first update of this version, I had a good reason to get on and delete the old fortresses (the last one was fun, but the mistake of putting the butchery above ground was nearly impossible to undo).

So, I embarked on a serene site. During winter, the murky pools (no brook/river) froze over for a few days. Unfortunately, one of my dwarves tried his hand at figure skating at the time. Well, with the horrid immigration waves, I already had 18 dwarves at that time, so I am only down to 17.

Of course, he was one of the lovers in the fortress. Fortunately, there are other couples, and I had my first marriage even before the first elven caravan has shown up (currently game saved probably a few days before the elves should arrive).

Going strong with more than 120 FPS (though the thawing made the game stop a second) and having killed all unnecessary animals (except for that $#%^$#^ puppy which came as the pet(!) of an immigrant) I am really optimistic about this fortress.

Again, invasions are turned off so I can focus on the normal management.

Deathworks

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: April 08, 2010, 03:34:31 pm »

Well, things seemed calm for the winter of the 5th year, so I let my lumberjack out to restock our wood reserves with trees growing directly in front of the Merchant's Gate. Things seemed well enough at first, and I expanded the designations, when, Murphy be damned, a squad of sword gobbos ambushed and killed him, then ran toward the gate while a single of their number chased my cook off.

Locking the doors, the depot room's chained dog still drew them in, and they were trapped by the drawbridge until 2 of my 3 axedwarves arrived(#3 has a cut cheek or something from a sparring accident with steel weapons after they killed a previous ambush but befor I had them switch back to training weapons. Wuss), well trained and clad in domestic steel, with exceptional weapons. Blender.

By this point, my cook had discovered another ambush squad and was killed gathering valuable intelligence as to the effectiveness of Goblin archery. Brave lad, his tasty memory shall live on in the 500 prepared meals he left for us.

Anywho, I opened the gate, and allowed the new squad to come to my axe dwarves, who butchered them. Then issued a kill order for the green skinned rat that killed my cook, still dancing over his corpse. They ran over two more squads of ambushing gobbos on a hill, one hammer, one crossbow, and butchered them, befor finishing the job and returning him, justice dripping from their steel. One had 19 gobbo kills, the other 11, including previous actions.

Mr. 11 just got his ass possessed, live steel still in hand, and is demanding shell.

I have no idea how to get shell in DF 2010.

That guy is kinda scary - I think I'm going to call in the masons.

EDIT:
Also, minting a stack of iron coins every year, from 1052 onwards.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 03:36:31 pm by Wolfius »

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: April 08, 2010, 03:36:31 pm »

I abandoned after an ambush, and am now reclaiming.  Unfortunately, it only let me have 7 to reclaim, but it's all good.  I also was surprised to learn I can't see the lower levels of my fort until I send someone down there.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: April 08, 2010, 04:49:48 pm »

A novice miner took down a troll with one swing of a pick. He just took the things leg off and let it bleed to death. I bet he'll be telling his grandkids about that one.

Or maybe not. She decided to channel out the floor beneath herself while three stories high.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 04:52:06 pm by Schilcote »
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

MooUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: April 08, 2010, 04:56:05 pm »

Well, I started a new fort with the bugfix release. I found a nice place with trees, chalk, a stream and no aquifer, just how I like it. And I fitted out my dwarfs with a DIY style setup.

Trouble is, I forgot any stone for building my metal industry, so I can build picks, so I can dig stone to...

So til autumn, my dwarfs are camping above ground with only what they brought with them and whatever they can gather to survive... This could be interesting.
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 3842