Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109907 times)

Guilliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2040 on: April 07, 2010, 10:14:47 am »

Recent events:

Finished digging out part of my grand fortress (living/dining areas).
Moved my entire temporary setup in there.
Dug a huge query for stone in front of my gate, removed part of the mountain to have a clean mountainside. This way they don't use the 'ramps', since they're gone.

Build two bridges and connected them to a lever.
Goblins Siege me, I close the entrance and am safe.

Food and drink shortage nearly killed me. Counting 90 dwarfs currently. No soldiers..
Spend some time trying to remedy it while hastily cutting out huge rooms for storage. At this point I had a farm plot running.

Currently building a grand hospital level and smoothing the entire fortress. After that, need to dig down for wood and precious fuel ores, so I can get the metal industry running.

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: April 07, 2010, 11:27:51 am »

After fending off an ambush that destroyed an elven caravan, I just sent the dwarves away with a 30,000 * profit in the hopes of bringing more migrants and actually punching into the underground. Well-prepared, this time.
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: April 07, 2010, 11:31:07 am »

Hi!

One of my dwarves is in a fey mood and yelling about how he needs body parts. I'm not sure if he means the stuff left over when an animal is slaughtered or what :(

I am probably too late, but I will tell you anyway: Body parts are bone and shell (probably also horn, but that is unconfirmed). I actually had a dwarf who said body parts but wouldn't touch the bones in the stockpile instead waiting for a fresh shell to be created at the fishery and bringing me close to a heart attack (for bonus points, he happened to be the first child born in the fortress).

So, slaughter an animal (personally, I recommend dogs :) :) :) :) ) and also send someone fishing. If you are lucky, a bone will do. If not, you just have to pray that your fisherman comes back home soon.

=====================

Well, in minor news, I have had my first crash of the game, directly AFTER saving (as the game was cleaning up the objects so it could return to the main menu). Because of that, I did not suffer any damage.

Having overdone it with buying animals and trading for metal, I got my frame rate eventually below 40. So, I decided to kill off all herbivores except for the elephants. Of course, this in turn turned half my fortress red in blood.

So, now I have minimized production to a few trade goods just to keep the merchants happy. Having stocked up on food and drinks, I have shut down all farms and try to give my dwarves as much time off as possible. Unfortunately, "clean" jobs are handed out very haphazardly, so most of the time they rather do "no job". And I can't cue "clean" via the manager (T_T).

However, they are making an effort to keep the entrance area clean and have over the course of more than a year cleaned a good part of the second underground level and a bit of the first underground level. But my biggest problem is the bloody mess between the main entrance, the outdoor trade depot, the above ground dormitory, and their favorite murky pool. As they won't clean outdoors, I have to wait for a major rainfall to clean up that mess.

Well, at least they regularly get the positive "has enjoyed a nice bath" thought :) :) :) :)

Deathworks

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: April 07, 2010, 11:37:14 am »

Shell-demanding moods are killers in my fortress. All aboveground pools dried out, and there are no turtles now.
Although some forgotten beast with shell just came. Maybe if i butcher it, i'll get enough shells.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: April 07, 2010, 11:43:10 am »

Hi!

Shell-demanding moods are killers in my fortress. All aboveground pools dried out, and there are no turtles now.

That is really something players of the new version have to look out for. As the imported turtles are already prepared, you really need fishing if you want to get those shells.

On the other hand, I think shells and bones are now unrottable, but I have to confirm that.

Deathworks

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: April 07, 2010, 11:48:04 am »

Hmm, this beast with shell dumps some kind of 'frozen extract' as it passes through water. Seems like it freezes water to make it passable.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: April 07, 2010, 11:50:02 am »

Hi!

Hmm, this beast with shell dumps some kind of 'frozen extract' as it passes through water. Seems like it freezes water to make it passable.

Does it move through the water or does it walk on the water. Anyway, this is awesome, but if it actually used this to walk over the water, this would be just .... (lack of words).

Deathworks

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: April 07, 2010, 02:33:16 pm »

Just lost one of my crafters to a mood, I think they wanted an emerald. Guess they shouldn't have come to a fort with no ore or gems discovered yet.

Making preparations to tap the magma pipe, I think I've figured out a way to breach it underground without my miner getting roasted.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: April 07, 2010, 03:09:56 pm »

An opponent chosen poorly.  ;D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: April 07, 2010, 03:14:10 pm »

Nothing to see here, just me buying massive amounts of carp blood from the human and dwarven merchants. Move along...

I have NO IDEA what I'll do with it, it's just awesome that I can buy blood.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: April 07, 2010, 04:21:09 pm »

You know, you just reminded me of an idea for "dwarf therapy" to end tantrum spirals. The idea came about after noticing one of my champion wreslters whose description reads  "Urist McTrainedUnderChuckNorris has been ecstatic lately. He lost a spouse to tragedy lately. He lost a child to tragedy lately. He slept in the mud lately. He was accosted by terrible vermin lately. He has had to endure the decay of a spouse recently. He had a satisfying sparring session lately". Dwarf Companion said he had a couple thousand points of happy.

Basically, you recruit all your dwarves, either just the unhappy ones or all of them, and set everyone to spar constantly unarmed. After a few months, (hopefully, you had enough food stockpiled away, or you made sure your farmer had an artifact in her bedroom (a very nice Demantoid statue, no idea how it's creator managed to make a statue from one jewel) and is somewhat antisocial) you'll probably have a whole bunch of very happy dwarves who can go about restoring your fortress to its former prosperity, plus everyone will have boosted stats from all that training.

I don't know if it will still work after the changes to the millitary, but if happy thoughts from sparring are still present and are as strong as they were before, it should still work. If you can get your dwarves to spar that is.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: April 07, 2010, 04:37:04 pm »

I got bored and flooded the fort, trying to kill as many dwarves as possible.

I didn't even make it to the third year. I get bored easily.

TheDarkJay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: April 07, 2010, 05:20:27 pm »

Last fort went as follows:
*Start*
*Start diggers digging*
*Check creatures screen*
10-ish Skeletal Gorillas? ....maybe they'll ignore
*Urist McEveryDwarf has stopped somestuff: Interrupted by Skeletal gorilla*
*Urist McEveryDwarf has been struck down*
*Urist McSecondDwarf has been struck down*
*Urist McThirdDwarf has been struck down*
*Urist McFourthDwarf has been struck down*
*Urist McFifthDwarf has been struck down*
*Urist McSixthDwarf has been struck down*
*Urist McFinalDwarf has been struck down*
*Your settlement has crumbled to it's end*

....Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii-

Gonna make a world without almost entirely evil and very little good this time XD

MooUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: April 07, 2010, 05:46:09 pm »

DF2010 Fort 3 continues quite nicely; just hit Autumn of my third year. The humans turned up late summer, as usual, and this time four goblin bowmen followed them. One of the human guards kept the goblins busy long enough for my guard captain to test the edge on his otherwise unused iron sword. Very sharp, it turns out. Plenty of clothing for my stock off them four! Makes a change; the last two forts were doomed by goblin ambushes.

I've still barely left my first level of this fort, other than waterworks. I'm only now constructing a farming area - and the farm is irrigated entirely by bucket from my well. Well cistern had to be refilled a few months ago; looks like I got the pressure levels just right and there's no chance of flooding there, which is always good. My outer defences now consist of a courtyard with fortifications all around, and an archer's gallery round the inner edge of the courtyard - where, if I sound the invasion alarm, my bow squad immediately rushes. I've also started on a main stairwell complete with trapped and doored approach corridor.

All's going quite well.

Cuchulain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: April 07, 2010, 06:07:00 pm »

Well, having stolen 150,000 worth of goods from Elves, my dwarfs are busily stuffing everything into stockpiles. And ignoring almost every other request in the process.

My miners, however, have been doing a sterling job - they've recently broken into an underground cavern, totally choked with water. Plans are progressing for the best ways to explore.

My loot contained some interesting things: 2 elephants, 2 giant leopards, sundry other animals - the most interesting of which are now chained up lining my entrance hall.

Also included were 2 tigermen. I found it interesting that I could actually nominate these individuals as nobles... I didn't try, but there was the fleeting possibility of having a captive tigerman as my arsenal dwarf - before he died of thirst. Lots of people dying of thirst it seems, despite 1000+ alcohol, a working well and a river.
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 3842