Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109930 times)

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2010 on: April 06, 2010, 08:09:34 am »

Yeah, I feel like stuff doesn't get hurt easily enough.

Put two alligators in the arena together. They will fight forever.

Jong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: April 06, 2010, 09:21:56 am »

I ran out of wood while building this  :(

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Its not even half finished yet! Damn towercaps grow so slowly!

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: April 06, 2010, 09:57:18 am »

I'm trying to get my fort well-established this time before i break into the caverns, as there have always been swarms of troglodytes and crundles waiting to tear my weavers apart as they scour the caves for webs.

Now I'm up to around 60 dwarves, having just received a massive immigration wave. Hopefully I'll be able to get a second military squad up soon, and then I'll feel confident enough to break into the underground.
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: April 06, 2010, 10:07:36 am »

I breached the underground for the first time.  My militia was semi-ready; 7 or 8 of the 10 I assigned have been training for about 2 years.  But there's nothing down there but a Gorlak.  I start the motions of moving everything down; seal off the nearest entrance to my chosen site with some statues, so that I'm not totally protected but have enough warning if something shows up.

Troglodytes show and interrupt my workers.  So I spend a while figuring out how to send my military down there, which I manage.  While they figure it all out, the trogs get two dogs wounded and manage to kill a cat.  The military arrives and...

I forgot to make them their real weapons.  They only have wooden training weapons.

So the ten of them pile onto one troglodyte at a time and bludgeon them with their wooden spears and axes until the troglodytes are all yellow, save some red FINGERS.  Bludgeon.  bludgeon.  bludgeon.  Bludgeon.

I'm not sure how, but the trogs finally died.  My militia was unwounded save some bruising.

That was awesome.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Keolah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: April 06, 2010, 11:11:26 am »

Spending more time trying to poke at new features than bother trying to protect my fort, I wound up breaching a cavern before I was really prepared for it (I was working on getting some weapon traps made but hadn't set them up yet) and proceeded to get half a dozen Elk Birds running around in my dining room. The first casualty was a puppy. Poor thing.

Well, several dwarves die while I'm trying to figure out the new military system, and I finally manage to get some peasants down into the dining room to wrestle the Elk Birds to death. One cat manages to survive horrific injuries and winds up a mess of scars.

And all my dwarves are ecstatic because they _love_ their dining room. Despite half a dozen of them being wounded. But now I have fungiwood growing in my temp dormitory.

In the midst of a horrific assault, surrounded by corpses and blood, one of my random dwarves decided to go into a fey mood. I had no craftsdwarf workshop, so after the Elk Birds were all dead, I built one, and he claimed it... and wants... body parts? Well, there's plenty of those laying around, but he doesn't seem eager to grab them, so I locked him inside.
There's no use crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of *cat tallow roast*.

Plump Helmet McWhisky

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: April 06, 2010, 12:36:52 pm »

During my first goblin siege, while my military were busy getting slaughtered, my militia commander was in a martial trance and cleaving through goblins despite a hand having been lopped off, and one of my Dwarves had gone berserk after a failed strange mood and was rampaging through the fortress stabbing people with a pickaxe... my mayor went out to gather plants.

And promptly got her head ripped off by a random Giant Eagle from nowhere.

I love this game.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: April 06, 2010, 12:47:56 pm »

In my newest fortress, my militia commander led five new recruits with no weapons or equipment, and promptly ripped apart a cave crocodile and a giant toad. Lost two dogs though. Hope their owners take it well.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: April 06, 2010, 01:18:40 pm »

I tried. I really did. But 2 crashes later, both of which ended in me doing a hard reboot, I'm letting Toady work out the bugs before I do too much in fortress mode. Adventure mode is awesome as magma, however.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: April 06, 2010, 01:39:57 pm »

just caught an elf in a wooden cage trap, times are good :D
Nom nom nom

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: April 06, 2010, 02:57:44 pm »

so a little dwarven girl wandered into the darker recesses of the cave system only to get webbed and mutilated by a giant cave spider. I ordered my three squads of soldiers to respond in kind only to get the following message:

Nilek Akeltast: Recuit cancels pick up equipment, too insane

turns out one of my military mothers has been straving and dehydrating her self since giving birth and has now gone insane, shes also had a miscarage, but is infact not the mother of the dead child.

So now the rest of my military advances one at a time towards being webbed.

1 has already got there been webbed and killed. Lets hope the rest dont got 1 at a time.

p.s. giant cave spiders shoot webs! and appear to be tougher than the forgoten beast (and the beast could breath frozen crap) that one of my recruits dispatched.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Kagira

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: April 06, 2010, 03:42:58 pm »

One of my dwarves is in a fey mood and yelling about how he needs body parts. I'm not sure if he means the stuff left over when an animal is slaughtered or what :(
obles make fine firewood.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: April 06, 2010, 03:44:06 pm »

I stole about 200 animals from the elves and threw them down a pit. Now I have 8000 units of meat.

This is what the surface looks like after they return to put all the useless bits on the refuse pile.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 03:58:00 pm by Dr. Melon »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: April 06, 2010, 04:13:13 pm »

well after giving up on adventure mode with a BC due to getting lost.
I try to dig down to the underworld with a band of them.
before hitting the sugar mill: the cave has no exit here!
after hitting the sugar mill: sweet armok that's a long fall.

so once I made a up down stair case to the slade floor I recruited every one and move them to the floor of the mill and what happen next was like battle of the titans.
witches, spitters, boomers, and hunters charge my bronzed men and both sides of the battle where losing men when it took to a narrow hall until I got 6 migrants a cook a stoneworker a doctor and a farmer and 2 peasants I slap them into a new group and sent them down to fight. I lost 3 out of the 8 infected that was killed.
if I survive this I'll hope for a engraver so he/she/ie can write up the events that happen here today!
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

grognoglog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: April 06, 2010, 07:08:41 pm »

Met the trogs with a small group of wooden sword equipped dwarves (who I hadnt trained b/c I cant get them to do it yet).   Bruised them up for a bit and figured it was good practice until the trogs started doing fancy wrestling stuff.    They broke (I think) my squad leaders shoulder or arm and he started getting a little shocky.   At that point I drafted a miner who came over and did horrible things to the trogs with his pick. 

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: April 06, 2010, 07:54:42 pm »

So quick introduction

I've always had the problem of building fortress too stable and eventually self-destructing out of boredom. I've never really lost a fort to anything that was intentional barring my first few forts.  My newest fortress HelmSpell has just reached this point; irrigated farm, statue garden, hospital, barracks, and tombs, the works. The only thing I'm missing is a good metal industry due to the fact that the only access to magma is 16z down. Normally it'd be too big of a pain to get at it and I'd just forget about it, but not today.

Let me explain, I just recently got done with Dragon Age: Origin and fell in love with the Thaig system the dwarves use use. If you aren't aware of what a Thaig is they're basically separate underground Cities/Fortresses connected through vast underground tunnels that act as a sort of highway. Good are sent through the Dwarven Empire using these roads and are they only access to the thaigs themselves. I've decided to replicate that.

The plan is to create multiple thaigs, each providing my underground empire with a resource. HelmSpell will be assigned to producing food for all the thaigs as it's only real noticeable feature is a well designed farm system. Being the only link to the surface it will also be the trading center of my little kingdom. The next thaig (No name yet) will be deep underground located smack-dab on the magma lake I just uncovered. It will be the metalworking center of the glorious underground empire, smelter ore and shipping out metal crafts to any thaig that needs it.

Various other thaigs include
-Livestock Thaig: Produce leathers, meats and any other associated animal product. Pets too!
-Clothing Thaig: Will collect silk from cavern to create clothing along with pigtails sent from HelmSpell. Hopefully I can find a GCS.
-Wood Thaig: Relatively small compared to the others, more like an outpost. Will be responsible for collecting wood and sending out any craft/equipment made of the stuff.
-Military Thaig: Essentially a giant barracks, will be the home of most military dwarves when not patrolling the Deep Roads or standing guard at various other thaigs. Military will do 6 month tours then return for the next six months to train and rest.
-Noble Thaig: Intended capitol where most Noble dwarves who don't do anything will reside. Will be extravagant!
-Runner Thaig: The center of the empire, will be the home to courier dwarves whose sole job is to run goods from Thaig to Thaig.

As you can guess I'm going to make extensive use of both the burrow and military systems. I'm not even sure I've got the willpower to get this working but I'll be damned if I don't try!
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 3842