Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6110295 times)

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1920 on: March 30, 2010, 09:46:59 pm »

I used tweak to give myself 25 starting dwarves, then made sure that there were 10 married couples. After 6 years I have this great fortress going with nearly 45 children.

Then, a miner got himself vaporized in the  magma vent.

At this moment there are 12 left alive. 5 adults and 7 likely orphans.
No wait, 10. A child just went berserk and was instantly killed by an adult, and another child went melancholy.

Hard to say if anyone will survive.

I really feel bad for the cats. Everyone is beating them to half death.
There's literally 15 cats with missing limbs wandering around.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: March 30, 2010, 09:56:47 pm »

Most of those cats likely have owners, and the cats are feeding heavily into the tantrum spiral. Set up the largest dining hall you can, and the largest bedrooms you can without overlapping, and build coffins for all of the pets and dwarves.

The difficulty is toned way down in this version, and it wouldn't be hard to stop a spiral where you are now. Cooking your food could also help, depending on resources.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: March 30, 2010, 09:59:53 pm »

I just finished remodelling the trap entrance, building my third set of bridge-sealed entrances into the fortress in the process. These ones I'm particularly happy with, as they look like two claws sinking into the earth instead of a traditional drawbridge. Next up will be rebuilding the main entrance so that it looks more like the back of a skull, and adding a couple of cinnabar ram's horns.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: March 30, 2010, 10:17:38 pm »

Ohh yeah, I'm sure I could have brought the tantrum spiral to a much quicker halt. It's stopped at the 10 survivors now.
But I didn't really care since the FPS had died after finishing the cave/river network.
I need a new comp so badly...  ;D
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: March 30, 2010, 11:05:42 pm »

man I'm kicking my self in the dragon breeding fort for not saving a set up pregnancy to test out different species breeding due to after those test the pc I worked on is flipping out and crashing more often let alone getting a working water fall to speed up the cat breeding sucks. hopefully if this succeeds I get a dragonchild if it fails I just go in adventure mode and kill off the town in a fit a rage!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 11:08:01 pm by Rumrusher »
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: March 31, 2010, 09:43:36 am »

I've decided to go and give my dwarves speed:0 so that I can finish the project I'm doing as there is no telling how much longer we have before the new release comes out.

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: March 31, 2010, 10:55:37 am »

I've decided to go and give my dwarves speed:0 so that I can finish the project I'm doing as there is no telling how much longer we have before the new release comes out.

Speed 0 doesnt work well, use speed 1.
Proper English will make people take you more serious.

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: March 31, 2010, 11:26:48 am »

Speed 0 doesnt work well, use speed 1.

I've never encountered any problems with speed 0.  ?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: March 31, 2010, 12:21:03 pm »

alot of people due... mostly windows users.  Especially on vista, it just stops working altogether.
Nom nom nom

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #1929 on: March 31, 2010, 12:33:26 pm »

I just had 6 consecutive ambushes. Down from 50 to 39 dorfs.
Oh joy.  :D

edit:
Uh-oh.
Tantrum spiral unfolding.
Farmer and miner trowing tantrum.
Another farmer becomes enraged.
Glassmaker suddenly suffocates.

Fun fun fun.

edit2:
Ohoho, migrants.
Yet tantrum spiral continues.
Two miners have gone insane despite trying to keep them ocupied with work.

The current champion on tantrum trowers is definetely metalsmith, who destroyed a bridge.
And plummeted himself deep down, meeting his death.

edit3:

Wow, a melancholic planter has trown himself into an aquifier hole. His body is now rotting there, unable to be reached by anyone. Miasma in the bedroom.

This just might be my best fort so far.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 01:06:01 pm by Sinistar »
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: March 31, 2010, 03:06:54 pm »

alot of people due... mostly windows users.  Especially on vista, it just stops working altogether.

I don't have any issues, sure theres the lag from the dwarves bieng accellerated, but otherwise no problems.

I finished the doomsday device, a rocketish device set to plunge into the magma pit. I just did a test run (on a separate save) and it works beautifully. When the new version arrives, I'll order it to be filled with provisions and some sleep pods (may do it now, unless the fire snakes destroy them), order everybody inside (recruit if I have to), retract the gantry bridges, and pull TEH LEVER.

While I'm waiting, I think I'll just sort of mess around.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 03:13:05 pm by smjjames »

Chaos341

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: March 31, 2010, 10:34:35 pm »

Not very exciting but i just noticed an elephant corpse in my refuse stockpile...... all my hunters are guys i sent to get kill by the elephant because they are useless....... my soapmaker beat an elephant to death with his bare hands. He's hardcore.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: March 31, 2010, 11:45:50 pm »

I got bored with my fort so I decided to destroy it.

I dug into the magma moat, forbidden all the foodstuffs, unleashed the hordes of caged gobbos, released HFS, and made everyone so unhappy I started a goddamn civil war.

After the military went up in smoke (metaphorically and literally) the guard jailed basically the entire surviving population they were mauled to death by goblins and then the jailed people starved to death.

The last dwarf? The hammerer I locked in his room.

What happened to him? Well, the clowns can answer that thank you.

RINGMERCHANTS IS NO MORE!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: April 01, 2010, 12:59:50 am »

I have a pretty cool idea for what I want to do with my next fort, but I haven't been able to get more than a few hours in any time I've started before cancelling the whole thing. So instead I've spent what little free time I've had going through my old forts and reminiscing on my early forts, and all that stuff I used to do when I first got into the game.

In my first fort, before I understood pumps or pressure, I tapped a magma pipe on the opposite end of my 6x6 map, had it travel all the way across and down about 40z to the main level twisting and turning all around, and then had it circle my entire fort to make a moat, without using a pump (children were born and became adults before this sucker was full) - and because I was scared of it overflowing, I created a complicated setup with my brook to obsidianize the magma's source tunnels. Later, when I realized how silly I'd been, I tried to remove the obsidian block and let the moat fill up all the way... and the brook again filled in and blocked the way. So every time I looked at the entrance I saw the half-full moat and was reminded of how silly I was.

...ah, nostalgia.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: April 01, 2010, 10:27:15 am »

starting my first fort on df version 31.01 .....I think I'm gonna be arecluse for a little while.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 3842