Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6110621 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1875 on: March 26, 2010, 09:18:44 pm »

Didn't think I would be posting another so soon, but this would most certainly be a big news day.

Highwall News Journal "All the granite you care about, half the microcline you don't."
11th Felsite 107   *SPECIAL EDITION*
Stock Prices: Stocks Closed
This issue dedicated to the fallen soldiers in today's battle:
Earath Futuretones (Hunter), Vaecaex Targetpanted the Depressed Teacher (Champion Lancer), Vaesinnak Ropegift (Champion Lancer), Kearg Fencedbind(Crossbowman), Faerek Twinepots(Crossbowman), ,"" (Cat tied to rope)

The Flame of Jade Defeated! Legendary Dragon killed by bolt to heart!
Arurik Glowedtreasure the Flame of Jade the Red Dragon attacked the fortress today and was defeated by the superior might of the Highwall military.  The dragon attacked the lone hunter sent to negotiate with him and quickly set out to attack the fortress only to meet the great military might of Highwall, led by General Ulhar himself.  The battle was great and bloody but ending in the eventual defeat of the dragon from a bolt piercing the upper body.  However losses were great. 90% of the regular military is listed as KIA. General Ulhar himself the only melee classed soldier to survive the engagement, has announced his retirement due to the loss of his leg to the dragon,  and a replacement is yet to be chosen.  All signs however point to crossbowman Eorn Firehoof to be appointed as the new ... (Continued on page 2A)

Work ceased during  dragon attack, metalsmithing stoppage expected soon.
Naturally all work had ceased during today's dragon attack.  However due to the heavy combat losses a magma shortage is expected soon during the burial ceremonies as each soldier's tomb is flooded with magma.  Which will likely put a halt to all metal and glass related work as the magma refills to normal levels.  The shortage is estimated to last about half a month from most estimates, but can potentially last longer depending on the magma pipe's ... (continued page 4C)

Military job fair tomorrow!  Hero Eorn to give a speech.

There will be a military job fair held in the main hall at noon tomorrow, do to an "sudden unexpected decrease in the number of deploy-able soldiers"  Due to the high idle rate of the fortress there is expected to be a high turnout, and the Hero Eorn Firehoof will be there as well, dedicating a speech to recently fallen soldiers.  General Ulhar is also expected to be in attendance, however due to accusations of cowardice he is expected to stay out of the spotlight.  The accusations come from reports of him intentionally falling down the cliffside after becoming wounded in battle.  His soldiers including the hero himself claim he acted valiantly in the face of mortal peril, however many of the general's political opponents state ...(continued page 1E)

(Editors note: Red dragons are size 40 winged beasts with true fire immunity. They are both immune to fire and extreme heat and larger than anything else in DF.)

And Repulsion That site sounds absolutely awesome.  Unfortunately with good starting luck like that something horrible is going to strike soon.  It's a fact of dwarven science.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 09:22:11 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: March 27, 2010, 05:23:03 am »

Didn't think I would be posting another so soon, but this would most certainly be a big news day.

Highwall News Journal "All the granite you care about, half the microcline you don't."

Here's my two cents, that I'd love to use as a subscription fee.  More news updates please :D
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: March 27, 2010, 06:12:34 am »

I need to make my own DF newspaper now.

Oh, I got an artifact pig tail bed. I think it's a matress or a hammock, but it sure is comfy.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: March 27, 2010, 08:35:33 am »

Awesome stuff.
  Yeah, I have a really nice seed that gets me some pretty nice sites. I balance it out with using the Dig Dwarfier mod, which has a lot of new challenges and bonuses. More than one fort of mine has fallen to the Orc hordes. But anyways, you say that was a red dragon? As far as I know, Red Dragons only show up in the Dig Deeper or Dig Dwarfier mods. Are you using any of them?
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: March 27, 2010, 10:11:12 am »

He could have added them himself. I made my own dragons. Including a clownite one.

:D
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: March 27, 2010, 10:28:09 am »

Yea I don't use any other mods, nothing against them of course.  But I find it just as enjoyable to make the stuff as it is to play. I got, (deep breath)

Red Dragons, Blue Dragons, Gold Dragons, Stirge, Orcs. (D&D)
Puni (Mana khemia)
Grass Assassins (Phantasy Star) (Specifically PSU)
Chocobo, Behemoths (Final Fantasy)
Dracon fortress race (Homebrew D&D campaign) (Name from Wizardry)
EDIT:  Deep Crow (Penny Arcade)(Think I made them too rare. I never saw one show up, but I saw a civ wear deep crow leather once)

As well as a number of new metals, a few nonworking plants, weapons, and some forum inspired toys, Dracon language made with DFLang, and probably some other stuff I forgot about.  It's pretty much all based on creatures and objects I saw elsewhere.  With only the Dracon being something I put together myself.  And even then can be summed up just by calling them a Half-Dragon race.

I put my mod up on DFFD a few months ago, but I never really considered it a modding project so I'm fairly sure that version is a little out of date.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 10:33:39 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: March 27, 2010, 11:01:16 am »

Reading a very dwarfy book aptly titled "The Dwarves" by Markus Heitz. According to a Boendall Hookhand the way to a dwarf girl's hart is to, in order;

Make eyes at her

Sing her a song

Give her a hand-forged ring

kiss her feet

cover her in a nice thick coating of her favorite cheese

swing her four times in a circle

and then you can "Open the gates to her Girdlegard", Girdlegard being a famous dwarven fortress.

Thought that merited sharing.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: March 27, 2010, 12:19:15 pm »

i reached 50 dwarves without striking the earth, setting up farms, beds, or anything, just a hunter, two butchers, a brewer and a herbalist, also, zombie trolls=boredom

Kza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: March 27, 2010, 12:29:19 pm »

The Gob's leader is someone without an arm from the elbow down, and apparently this gives him fainting spells which has 50 gobs stuck in one spot, staring at him and waiting for orders to continue.
And then it's pretty much a normal fortress from then on.
I find the idea of a normal fortress amusing.

CrazyTim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: March 27, 2010, 01:43:25 pm »

actualy, I just started a new fort. Just carving out the stuff now!

Fort Name: Dragonhollow

Group Name: Standards of Heros
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: March 27, 2010, 05:40:24 pm »

A pet Giant Olm mysteriously fell into the chasm end of a small UG river. I'm not sure how it happened, but my theory is that its owner was grabbing some granite near the UG river and the Olm decided to take a shortcut. Unfortunately, it must have gotten too close to the edge and got pushed off the edge by the current.

Edit: Pfft, it happened again while I wasn't looking, a hippo calf this time....
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 05:59:08 pm by smjjames »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: March 27, 2010, 05:52:53 pm »

Burying Catten the elite marksdwarf. She was a real hero of Emenshorast, a village where children are 2/5 of the population.

First, she bolt'd few goblins (3 or 4 of them), but, because of lack of the coal (no filthy magma for me!), no iron was smithed anymore, so there was not enough bolts for her and other marksdwarves.
She went down and out of the Emenshorast' fortifications. Here, she beaten to death a goblin marksman with her +<<+Iron crossbow+>>+ (studded with Rose gold), took his ammunition and shot three other gobbos before her throat was pierced by stray iron bolt.
But she didn't bled too death before the goblins ran away.

I made a special room for her with a iron statue behind her coffin. Her trusty, blood-stained crossbow was stored here as well.

Rest in Peace, Catten.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 05:55:11 pm by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: March 27, 2010, 05:59:59 pm »

I got my seventh artifact. (the others are a chestnut bucket, a granite toy axe, a granite crown, a granite scepter, a granite throne and another granite scepter)
Now I have five useless artifacts, instead of only four. This one's worth 187,200 dwarfbucks, too, which is only about 3000 less than all my other artifacts combined.

This is a turtle shell puzzlebox. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with turtle shell and encircled with bands of turtle shell, Iron and Granite. This object menaces with spikes of turtle shell and Emerald. On the item is an image of werewolves in Emerald. On the item is an image of two flies in Emerald. On the item is an image of two thick crescents in giant cave spider silk.
On the item is an image of Kumil Wheeltrail the dwarf and dwarves in turtle bone. Kumil Wheeltrail is surrounded by the dwarves. The artwork relates to the ascension of the dwarf Kumil Wheeltrail to leadership of The Tomes of Fortune in 1.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Kza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: March 27, 2010, 08:39:22 pm »

I just waited for a gob siege of over 100, let them charge right out in front of me, and turned on my pressure washer megacontruction.

IT KILLED THEM ALL. ...AND REDUCED MY FPS TO 4.

EDIT:
It didn't kill them all. I had another back door open, right into my food store. Fun indeed. Thankfully, they killed cats and that's it. My military, thinking they were done, was relieved of their post and went to get a drink. 5 champions VS 7 goblins wrestlers and 2 pikegobs. 4 kittens were lost.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 08:54:13 pm by Kza »
And then it's pretty much a normal fortress from then on.
I find the idea of a normal fortress amusing.

BitLooter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: March 27, 2010, 09:59:15 pm »

My plans for a mermaid trap are now finally progressing. After fire imps decided they didn't like my dwarfs mining out their obsidian, my population was reduced from the initial 7 to 2 for about six months. Then I got 30 dwarfs in the next two immigration waves, so I was able to recover and continue construction. On the upside, I did exterminate all the imps and even captured one in a cage; I'm sure I can find a use for it later, perhaps as a pet for a noble.

Like most of my dwarven projects, I've revised my plans to be far more elaborate than I first envisioned; I am now building my entire fortress on a raised platform built of obsidian blocks above the sea. The grand causeway leading to shore is nearly functional, soon I'll be able to begin construction on the fortress itself. After I get my dwarfs settled and no longer constantly complaining about the meager living conditions, I can begin work on the trap itself, below the fortress.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 10:01:09 pm by BitLooter »
Well really, if you can't be an insane Dwarven dictator hellbent on genociding Mermaids for their precious bones in a video game, where CAN you?
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 3842